WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Joints View Post
    Thanks again. I noticed that the White Blaze guide says to carry water to the 10 Mile Shelter.
    They have closed the wells at several shelters in NY, NJ and CT. They say they are not up to standards, even though we can filter or treat. This means a dry camp all the way through. Unless you get the water from open brooks. They say not to drink from the ten mile river but that was the source when it first opened a long time ago.

Images

RPH shelter is 100 yards from a road. The caretaker brings in water in gallon jugs. No problem there.

I got water upstream from the footbridge over the Ten Mile River. It was perfectly clear and tasted great. The trail clubs are being overly cautious, IMO.
    It's all good in the woods.

So I just got back from Fahnestock Park and stayed at Dennytown Road. There are several group camping sites. These have picnic tables, porta potties and fire pits. We got there after 5 PM on a weekday, and a group of bike campers showed up around 6 PM who had rented the site where we were. They were polite, we were polite, and we moved off their site on to the one next door.
    What I think is new is a site on the side of the road with the water spigot, across the road from the group sites, designated for AT hikers. The AT hiker site is basically a mown field next to the parking lot, no picnic table. It does provide a legal site to camp on, and we would have camped there if there had been no space at the group sites. Much better than walking 3 miles at the end of the day to the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    RPH shelter is 100 yards from a road. The caretaker brings in water in gallon jugs. No problem there.

I got water upstream from the footbridge over the Ten Mile River. It was perfectly clear and tasted great. The trail clubs are being overly cautious, IMO.
    Unfortunately the Ten Mile River in CT where the AT crosses has PCB contamination (a probable human carcinogen which, like lead contamination, cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted in water nor can water filtration/purification common to backpacking remove it. Drinking water from Ten Mile or Housatonic Rivers should be avoided per the signs through that area.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Joints View Post
    So I just got back from Fahnestock Park and stayed at Dennytown Road. There are several group camping sites. These have picnic tables, porta potties and fire pits. We got there after 5 PM on a weekday, and a group of bike campers showed up around 6 PM who had rented the site where we were. They were polite, we were polite, and we moved off their site on to the one next door.
    What I think is new is a site on the side of the road with the water spigot, across the road from the group sites, designated for AT hikers. The AT hiker site is basically a mown field next to the parking lot, no picnic table. It does provide a legal site to camp on, and we would have camped there if there had been no space at the group sites. Much better than walking 3 miles at the end of the day to the shelter.
    I know the area and would not camp near a road, ever. Especially if it's that mud hole of a parking lot near the water building.

There is a spring just trail south of the TMR shelter near the top of some stone steps and a stream just trail north of the TMR bridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++