WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fontana to where?

I’m a section hiker who has completed the AT up to Fontana. Can someone please give me an easy schedule through the Smokies. Im only good for about 3 to 3.5 days hiking. I know it will take two separate trips. My only window is around June.

Also, I know you reserve shelters but can you tent around the shelters or do you have to stay in.

Journal Entries

Your best option is to hike from Fontana to Newfound Gap, then from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap. That will get the Smokies done in two trips.
    Beware that there are reports of catalytic converter thefts at both Fontana and Davenport. Either park your vehicle with a business nearby, or shuttle your vehicle to Newfound Gap and walk uphill from both ends.

0.0 Fontana Dam, NC33.3 Clingmans Dome, TN41.0 US441-Newfound Gap, TN72.4 TN32-Davenport Gap, TN

My response about tenting from your other thread:
    "Normal" rule is that unless you qualify as a thru-hiker (GSMNP defines this differently than you might think), you are supposed to stay in the shelter.

Covid rule is that everybody can tent.
    Current status is that you can tent. Who knows if they'll keep the Covid rule next year.

Here's the website so you can read for yourself.

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure what you are looking for in the way of a "schedule"... given that you're limited to camping at the shelters and you're limiting yourself to 3 days (is that days or nights)?
    Perhaps the best way to plan would be to check out this elevation profile of the AT thru GSMNP with the approx location of the shelters.
    If you're looking at 3 nights and going half way (Newfound Gap), you're just about stuck with staying at Mollies Ridge, Derrick Knob, Double Springs.
    If you're looking at 2 nights and going half way, you're just about stuck with staying at Russell/Spence and Silers Bald.
    Keep in mind, because you are not starting and finishing this trip more than 50 outside the boarders of the national park, you will need to obtain a "General Backcountry" permit from the site illabelle directed you to. This permit requires a reservation at each shelter for the intended night you plan to stay there. I would be surprised if at this point, GSMNP dropped the "social distancing" rules allowing everyone to tent at shelters for the 2022 season... but it's always a possibility. Just follow up with what rules are in place when you try to get your permit (which you have to wait until 30 days before the start of your trip to apply).

Images

Do it in two halves. And if you're willing to do walk north to south you'll do more downhill than uphill doing the southern half if you walk Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam.

First, start from Newfound Gap and walk south to Fontana Dam. Then, on the next trip, start from Newfound Gap and walk to Davenport Gap. When looking at shelters and places to stay, don't overlook campsite 113, which is not a shelter but is on the AT and can be booked.

It may be tempting to start your hikes at Clingman's Dome instead of Newfound Gap because Clingman's Dome is higher and you may feel that you're going benefit from more downhill than if you start at Newfound Gap. I would advise against that for a few reasons. Primarily, when you park at Newfound Gap, you have to walk uphill 300' to 400' to even get to Clingman's Dome. If you start two hikes at Clingman's Dome, you have to do that twice. If you start two hikes at Newfound Gap, you park and start hiking at roughly the same point (and at the same elevation). Second, parking can be harder to find at Clingman's Dome. Third, it takes less time to get to Newfound Gap than Clingman's Dome by car from literally anywhere else in the world.

Thank you for the reply FlyPaper. That is exactly the advice I was looking for.

Due to catalytic convo theft, I’d shuttle. Having made that choice, I would shuttle to Clingman’s for the net downhill.

FWIW I took 3 day trips with my kids from about 45-55. Always felt beat at end. Then took a two weeker. Felt fine. Thru hike 2 yrs later at 59. I was in decent shape, your circumstances at 60 might be different. Just adding because it wasn’t until I went that longer trip that I realized I could do it.

Long downhill days tend to hurt more...at least for me, so if I were to pick a starting point, it would not be from Clingman's dome.
    I've done three trips in the Smokies. Day one, northbound from Fontana, is a long uphill day (with a full food load) and the first shelter was closed due to bear activity both times.
    I more enjoyed day one starting from the north end. I parked at Big Creek Rangers station - though I've since read something about that not being a great place to leave your vehicle.
    Usually the local shuttlers are a good source of information so I would recommend utilizing their advice on where to park once you decide your route.

Images

Stay at the hostel the first night, have them shuttle you to Newfound Gap. Hike Inn Fontana, and Standing Bear on the other side. I don't know that it makes a difference starting from Newfound Gap or Clingmans - not as much as what sort of hike you want to do on the first day. But probably makes sense to do it the same way each time. Short and long options to shelters from each, but a look at the elevation profile might mean the initial 1/2mile up Clingmans isn't a bad option at all.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Okay FlyPaper, I'm planning Newfound Gap to Fontana. What do you suggest about these plans;
    Plan 1: Newfound Gap to Collins Shelter 4.9; then to Derrick Knob 13.0; then to Russell Field 9.0; then out to Fontana 15 (long day??).
    Plan 2: Newfound Gap to Double Springs 10.5; to Spencer Field 13.5; to Molly Ridge 10.0; out to Fontana 11.0

Both four days? Any other options someone can suggest?

Just did a section hike from Newfoundland Gap to Fontana. Agree with Flypaper, more downhill that route. We stayed at the Hike Inn and they shuttled us up to Newfoundland Gap early in the morning to start out hike.

Your Plan 2 looks almost like what I had planned.

Newfoundland Gap to Double Spring 10.5; Double to Derrick Knob 7.4; Derrick to Mollies Ridge 12.1; Mollies to Fontana 11.4

However, we ended up doing the route in 3 days.
    Newfoundland Gap to Double Spring 10.5; Double to Spence Field 13.5; Spence Field to Fontana 17.4.

(On day 2, when we got to Derrick Knob it was still early in the day so we decided to hike on. Same with last day we were going to stay at Birch Spring campsite but decided to push on to Fontana)

FYI – we called the Hike Inn from ShuckStack tower which is right at 4 miles from Fontana Dam to let them know our ETA for Fontana so they could come pick us up. No cell service from Fontana Dam but there is service from ShuckStack.

We did not stay in shelters. We camped around the shelters.

Hope this helps.

I have been reading various threads talking about the catalytic converter thefts around East TN trailheads. I left my vehicle at Fontana Dam two weeks ago for six days. I saw several other cars there with out of state plates as well. I shuttled down to the Ocoee River and hiked back on the Benton Mckaye trail. No issues with the vehicle. I would certainly think twice before I left it at Davenport or Big Creek.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I have been reading various threads talking about the catalytic converter thefts around East TN trailheads. I left my vehicle at Fontana Dam two weeks ago for six days. I saw several other cars there with out of state plates as well. I shuttled down to the Ocoee River and hiked back on the Benton Mckaye trail. No issues with the vehicle. I would certainly think twice before I left it at Davenport or Big Creek.
    In the past, parking at the dam visitor's center or the AT trailhead on the other side of the dam had been considered safe.
    But a report of CC theft was reported (I believe here on WhiteBlaze) a few weeks ago. I have not seen repeated reports on social media on additional CC thefts at Fontana Dam, nothing like the repeated reports we were getting around Big Creek.
    At Big Creek, they've added cameras and signs that the area is now under 24 hour surveillance. Have not heard of additional reports of CC thefts at Big Creek since the cameras went in (but that doesn't mean it's not still happening and no one is bothering to report on social media).

So I think the current situation is that we're in sort of a "wait and see" if things get better in Big Creek. In the mean time, Fontana is no longer as safe as we once believed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by REB View Post
    Also, I know you reserve shelters but can you tent around the shelters or do you have to stay in.
    I think in the past if you had a reservation, then you had to stay in the shelter, whereas those with thru hiker permits could wait for the shelter to fill up and then tent outside the shelter. It would appear they've relaxed those rules as I was looking today for a potential trip and noticed the following on the permitting site...

With a valid permit, backpackers are authorized to tent outside the shelter. Tent in the area around the shelter.

p.s. I've also done up through Fontana and looking to do a Smokies trip this year. PM me if you're looking for a hiking partner.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I think in the past if you had a reservation, then you had to stay in the shelter, whereas those with thru hiker permits could wait for the shelter to fill up and then tent outside the shelter. It would appear they've relaxed those rules as I was looking today for a potential trip and noticed the following on the permitting site...With a valid permit, backpackers are authorized to tent outside the shelter. Tent in the area around the shelter.p.s. I've also done up through Fontana and looking to do a Smokies trip this year. PM me if you're looking for a hiking partner.
    Since the start of COVID, the park service has allowed anyone (with a valid permit) to tent near the shelters to promote 'Social Distancing'.That policy is currently still in effect, but I have not heard any scuttlebutt on if/when they will revert to the previous system.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blazeman View Post
    Just did a section hike from Newfoundland Gap to Fontana. Agree with Flypaper, more downhill that route. We stayed at the Hike Inn and they shuttled us up to Newfoundland Gap early in the morning to start out hike.

Your Plan 2 looks almost like what I had planned.

Newfoundland Gap to Double Spring 10.5; Double to Derrick Knob 7.4; Derrick to Mollies Ridge 12.1; Mollies to Fontana 11.4

However, we ended up doing the route in 3 days.
    Newfoundland Gap to Double Spring 10.5; Double to Spence Field 13.5; Spence Field to Fontana 17.4.

(On day 2, when we got to Derrick Knob it was still early in the day so we decided to hike on. Same with last day we were going to stay at Birch Spring campsite but decided to push on to Fontana)

FYI – we called the Hike Inn from ShuckStack tower which is right at 4 miles from Fontana Dam to let them know our ETA for Fontana so they could come pick us up. No cell service from Fontana Dam but there is service from ShuckStack.

We did not stay in shelters. We camped around the shelters.

Hope this helps.
    Consider

Newfound Gap to Double Springs (10.5)
    Double Springs to Spence Field (13.5)
    Spence Field to Campsite 113 (Don't know exact location of CS 113)
    Campsite 113 to Fontana Dam (around 5 miles)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by REB View Post
    Okay FlyPaper, I'm planning Newfound Gap to Fontana. What do you suggest about these plans;
    Plan 1: Newfound Gap to Collins Shelter 4.9; then to Derrick Knob 13.0; then to Russell Field 9.0; then out to Fontana 15 (long day??).
    Plan 2: Newfound Gap to Double Springs 10.5; to Spencer Field 13.5; to Molly Ridge 10.0; out to Fontana 11.0

Both four days? Any other options someone can suggest?
    It depends on your first and last day and how much travel time they will involve. If your first and/or last days are short you'll obviously want to plan accordingly.

Just consider campsite 113 (Birch Spring Gap) which is around 5.5 miles from Fontana Dam as a camping option if that day needs to be shorter for some reason.

If you travel south to north in the southern half of the park, plan for 3000' of uphill starting out.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Consider Newfound Gap to Double Springs (10.5)Double Springs to Spence Field (13.5)Spence Field to Campsite 113 (Don't know exact location of CS 113)Campsite 113 to Fontana Dam (around 5 miles)
    it's about 11.5 miles from Spence Field Shelter to Campsite 113It's located down a short side trail a little less than 1.5 miles before the Shuckstack Fire Tower113 to the start of the dam is about 5.5 milesThe dam structure itself is almost a half mile longThe Fontana Hilton is about another half mile beyond the dam

++ New Posts ++