WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Shoe Glue?

Default Shoe Glue?

I have a rubber flap on the toe of my Oboz shoes that needs to be glued down. What would be a good glue to use?

Shoe Goo will work.

Gear Aid shoe repair adhesive (Aquaseal) is the best, used to be freesole. It's a urethane formula. They have the best seam sealer to, same thing urethane formula.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I had great luck keeping a set of spring and fall boots together with Shoe Goo. They had a molded on sole that was flapping and after a good cleanup, then abrading the surfaces with wire brush I glued the sole back on and got two more seasons off them. I have section hiked about half the AT with someone and he had a similar issue and got 2 more years off his boots including a 5 week section hike.

One caution is Shoe Goo and Barge Cement (very similar stuff) have some nasty solvents in them. Apply and let then cure outdoors.

Shoe-Goo works for me quite well. Elastic bands can hold the toe piece firmly in place while the glue cures.

x2 on shoe goo

I've got Shoe Goo, but will soon be redoing a repair that I used it for on a pair of Xero sandals(though it did last several times as long as the factory's crap glue job), plus another pair of their shoes.
    Ironically the same models as in the video from the guy who suggested it to me...
    https://youtu.be/pQgX2vRE7tI

Shoe-Fix Shoe Glue: Instant Professional Grade Shoe Repair Glue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8D69FW...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Images

On my section hike last fall, I was able to repair a part of my boot sole that had come loose with a small (1 oz) tube of rubber cement that I bought at a gas station near the trail. The repair got me through another week on the AT and it's still holding together 6 months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have a rubber flap on the toe of my Oboz shoes that needs to be glued down. What would be a good glue to use?

Goop Glue...amazing stuff! I fixed the sole of my wife's athletic shoe with it. Very flexible & waterproof.

All the varieties are about the same, but they do make a Shoe Goop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 04-25-2022 at 10:23.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

If you have time for it to cure, 3M 5200 comes in black and has the strongest bond of anything...sometimes too strong depending on the application. It's pretty sick stuff. Right behind that, and mentioned above, is aquaseal shoe repair adhesive. Aquaseal is a little more reasonable and extremely effective.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Shoe Goo but only if you have a new package with quite liquid goo. After a time it thickens and is not so good.
    Also use contact cement with good results, barge cement or similar. Apply to both surfaces, wait, then press and clamp.
    Tried epoxy occasionally, often use it to affix velcro on shoe read edge, to hold gaiters in place.

Professional cobblers use DAP Weldwood contact cement.

Images

I've had good success using Barge Cement.

++ New Posts ++