WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

All the best to you as your journey begins.

My only advice: do whatever it takes to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Hello WhiteBlaze! Reporting in from Waynesboro, VA. I leave out of here tomorrow and enter Shenandoah. The last 800 or so miles have been a lot of fun. The first 400 were incredible and hard working, and the past 400 easier but with more uneventful stretches. This is where the people you meet on trail keep you going. I've met so many kind souls! Georgia was over so far, North Carolina/TN were the most eventful with amazing views. It's getting hot and I'll be happy to get to Harpers Ferry and out of VA. I've hiked on and off with 3 of the 15 or so I started with. Lost a few before the smoky mountains, and a few somewhere along the the way to Damascus. VA took the rest of them off the trail for various reasons. If not, I haven't seen them in a few weeks, so maybe they are far behind. I'm hiking with a brit (Foghorn), a female swede (Droptop), and a guy from Texas (Worm), so conversation has been interesting. I feel strong and my kit is a little lighter with advice from others along the way. I just changed out a my moab shoes for new ones. I've spent about $1100 so far, and every day is a new adventure. I will check in again around 1600 miles.

If you made it this far, you’ll make it. Congrats.

Finished my 10 year section hike last July. Last week came back and rehiked SNP (108 miles Waynesboro/Rock Fish Gap to Front Royal). So enjoy the wayside grills, Blackberry shakes, camp store resupplies, showers, views, and relatively mild trail. I did enough to choose to spend a week this summer redoing it.

Harpers Ferry "half way" picture just around the corner after SNP and the roller coaster.

Images

Good choice of start date. I used to start on April Fool's Day (April 1st) but after trial and error I found that it's a bit too early. April 15 is the perfect start date because it's the right balance between early and late and lets you avoid some bad weather and maybe even snow in the Smokies.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Apparently this year there is a group called "The Brits" which features two hikers from the UK and two hikers from the US. If you know about this, please tell me more!

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Hello Whiteblaze! We head into the 100 mile wilderness tomorrow morning. Almost to Katahdin! What an amazing time I've had. I've continued to meet so many great people on this trail, and I've already got a tentative partner for the Camino next year. It's just me and DropTop now, and we've been leap-frogging each other since we met a few months ago. She's been a blessing. It is truly great to have someone to split hostels, hotels, food, and other things with. I've spent about $4200 so far which is under my $6000 budget. I plan to do whatever it takes to get a sunny day on Katahdin even if I have to wait a few days. I feel strong. It's almost over.

Awesome. Thanks for checking in!

Due to weather last year I decided to summit 2 days later than I could have. Stopped early at last shelter, and burned another day zeroing at Abol Campground.

Hello Whiteblaze! I almost forgot to post an update here. I've completed the Appalachian Trail and it was outstanding! Thanks to this forum and the members for all the valuable information I used to plan my hike. I was able to summit on a pleasant day with the sun and the clouds. The trail provided for me the whole way whether it be drink in a cooler, a ride with a stranger, or a gifted meal or hostel stay. I believe I am bit by the bug as they say. I guess time will tell. I met some new friends on the trail that invited me to their ranch in Arizona. We are planning to visit Grand Canyon to do some hiking there before I make my way back home. They say this is a great time of year to go. Looking forward to seeing the canyon out west and being in a different environment. My beard is long and my memories are strong. I will never forget this journey!

Quote Originally Posted by MapleHiker View Post
    Hello Whiteblaze! I almost forgot to post an update here. I've completed the Appalachian Trail and it was outstanding! Thanks to this forum and the members for all the valuable information I used to plan my hike. I was able to summit on a pleasant day with the sun and the clouds. The trail provided for me the whole way whether it be drink in a cooler, a ride with a stranger, or a gifted meal or hostel stay. I believe I am bit by the bug as they say. I guess time will tell. I met some new friends on the trail that invited me to their ranch in Arizona. We are planning to visit Grand Canyon to do some hiking there before I make my way back home. They say this is a great time of year to go. Looking forward to seeing the canyon out west and being in a different environment. My beard is long and my memories are strong. I will never forget this journey!
    Thanks for the follow up and congratulations! Bit by the bug huh? Hope to see your next trip report here. Enjoy the Grand Canyon.

Thanks for all the updates! Congratulations! Time to update your whiteblaze signature line. : )
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

Keep walking north, and don't publish it around the world..

How are you getting along?

Sorry, when I was reading this thread, it hadn’t loaded properly. I see now that you have finished. Congratulations!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++