WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Khike

Default Bear cannisters from Jarrod Gap to Neels Gap....

Hello All and hope all is well with you. Haven't been here for awhile. Now retired and planning a hike from Springer north, in the next few weeks. No set plan for distance. Who knows, might turn into a Nobo Thru hike. Do I really need a canister for that 10 mile section? I see it's the law. How about if I don't stop? I see you need a canister for the GSMNP. Any thoughts on that? A canister would really mess up my weight plan which is doing good at 28 lbs total. Probably 30 before I start. You know how it is. I am a rule breaker. Sometimes I get into trouble. I be very interested in your opinions on this. Kevin K

Yes, bear canister is required for overnighting from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap. But simple solution is to overnight at Lance Creek and hike through the canister zone the following day. I cannot speak to GSMNP.

There is no requirement to use a bear canister in GSMNP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Cannister only required if staying at Blood Mountain, and who wants to stay there anyway? Might as well go the next 2.5 miles to the Neel gap.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Khike View Post
    Hello All and hope all is well with you. Haven't been here for awhile. Now retired and planning a hike from Springer north, in the next few weeks. No set plan for distance. Who knows, might turn into a Nobo Thru hike. Do I really need a canister for that 10 mile section? I see it's the law. How about if I don't stop? I see you need a canister for the GSMNP. Any thoughts on that? A canister would really mess up my weight plan which is doing good at 28 lbs total. Probably 30 before I start. You know how it is. I am a rule breaker. Sometimes I get into trouble. I be very interested in your opinions on this. Kevin K
    My research into this found that you only need the bear vault if you plan to camp after passing through Jerrard Gap until you arrive at Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings. I've planned my day to start at Gooch Gap shelter and hike through this area. I've never seen a requirement for the bear canister in GSMNP. Can you link that please?

Quote Originally Posted by MapleHiker View Post
    My research into this found that you only need the bear vault if you plan to camp after passing through Jerrard Gap until you arrive at Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings. I've planned my day to start at Gooch Gap shelter and hike through this area. I've never seen a requirement for the bear canister in GSMNP. Can you link that please?
    Bear canisters are not required in GSMNP, but you are required to hang food on the campsite provided bear cables.
    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...untry-regs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Khike View Post
    First of all, it's only about 5 miles from Jarrard Gap to Neels, not 10. Second, if you are not stopping, no need for a canister. Third, I have stayed at a few shelters when hiking thru GSMNP and only used the "hooks" to hang my food because the cables were all pretty full[several others did too]. No recommendations here, but no worries either.

I’m not sure why the canister requirement is still in place. I’m guessing it was put in place years ago as a result of a specific problem bear or two. I bear hunt extensively in the mountains of North Georgia, and I can say confidently that there are just as many if not more bears on other sections of the AT in Georgia. The area between Hogpen Gap and Unicoi Gap is loaded, as is the area east of Unicoi Gap.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The bear canister requirement comes from Jarrard gap to past Low Gap per the ALDHA guide
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-29-2022 at 14:34.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

From the ATC website:

“Bear canisters are seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap in Georgia (NOBO miles 26.3 – 31.3) from March 1 to June 1.”

https://appalachiantrail.org/officia...eed-the-bears/

The NFS bulletin is clear as mud.
    Yet it generates questions every hiking session.
    Go figure!
    Cheers! Wayne

++ New Posts ++