WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My new book: Rocks, Roots and Rattlesnakes. Preorders now being taken!

Hey Hikers:

My new book is now available for preorder! Rocks, Roots and Rattlesnakes is the story about my adventures thru hiking the AT in 2020.

I wrote it from the perspective of a geologist and it contains tons of useful info, great color pictures, maps, figures and graphs.

Go to my website where you can learn all about this new book and place your preorder today!

(many of you may have even been mentioned a time or two in the text!)

https://www.rocksrootsandrattlesnakes.com/

Thanks and enjoy the book!

-Old Oriskany

Default Rocks, Roots and Rattlesnakes book

Preorder your copy today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Craig,

As another geologist I took great interest in the excerpts from your book! Very readable and informative. Took me back to my days in those places. Sounds like you had a great time, and you did a world of hiking all over the place. It's so much more meaningful to ponder the geologic history.

My interest in the geology was always more about the geomorphology, like the origin of the Devil's racecourses in PA, and the big change between non-glacial and glacial landscape that happens at DWG. I found it interesting to learn that the PA racecourses are remnants of Pleistocene peri-glacial climate which fostered a lot of ice wedging and downslope flow, sometimes even cored by ice glaciers. You don't see them north of DWG because the continental glaciers cleaned them out, but there you start to see all the beautiful glacial lakes and other remnants of the glacial landscape. Another interesting aspect of the geology is how the most resistant rock types of the fold belt form ridges whereas the valleys are often floored by carbonate rocks sometimes with limestone caverns. Quite a tale of rock resistance, developed over millions of years in the eroded roots of a mountain chain. A story is there as well about the southern Appalachian balds (why are they bald?), the granitic domelike mountains in Maine, and of course Katahdin (why is it there?). And you indicate some of the structural features that the AT crosses. Some of these fault zones are of continental scale and importance.

So many mysteries for an Earth Scientist to ponder, but it makes the hiking so much more meaningful!

Hike on, my friend!

RockDoc,
    thanks for the reply! Always nice to chat with other geos. Those rivers of rock like the Devils racecourse are truly interesting and conspicuous. As you said they periglacial features resulting from repeated freeze thaw cycles over past 2 million years of cyclic glacial cover to the north. Interesting that the rocks comprising the racecourse might be partially metamorphosed (into quartzites and other metasediments?--I've never field checked but i dont believe the geol maps mention quartzites in the Pottsville), as are the surrounding anthracite coals--all part of the Pottsville Fm which cap the two surrounding ridges..
    Glad you liked the book excerpts. As of Sunday, I now have about 150 copies in my study awaiting the first of many planned signings, presentations and like events. Btw, i assume the PNW means Wash or Oregon. Have you listened to Nick Zentner's podcasts? They are superb.
    Happy Trails!
    -Old Oriskany

Nerds are so cool

Triumph of the Nerds, one of my favorite documentaries.

Revenge of the nerds

Hello RocDoc
    i'm flying to Denver to hike the Colorado Trail on August 7. Will hit trailhead at Waterton, SE of Denver, the next morning. Plan to take my time and get in 12-15 miles a day once i get acclimated to altitude. 5-6 weeks on trail to Durango. Geology will of course be spectacular.

Just wanted to let you know in case you were getting bored and would like to join in on the adventure

-O.O.

++ New Posts ++