WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 8F to 70F: 19 Days in March

This trip was supposed to happen on January 15 but the covid bug bit me on the butt so I had to take 83 days off in house arrest mode and finally on March 3rd I was able to load up the gear and get out. This trip happens in Citico and Slickrock wilderness in TN and NC. And I got to see one good blizzard with cold snap.

TRIP 216
    March 3-21, 2022

HIGHLIGHTS
    ** DAVY HAYNES ON BMT CONNECTOR
    ** BRYAN DELAY'S SON PASSES OVER BOB BALD
    ** TWO BACKPACKERS ON SEVEN MILE RIDGE PULLING HAOE LEAD/DEEP CREEK LOOP
    ** HELLISH WINDSTORM AT WATAUGA CAMP ON 5,000 FEET
    ** MASSIVE RAINSTORM ON SLICKROCK CREEK DAY 7
    ** TWO BACKPACKERS FROM MARS HILL NC ON SLICKROCK CREEK DAY 8
    ** DAY 10 BLIZZARD AT 8F IN CROW HORSE CAMP
    ** PAVANNE FOR A DEAD THUMB DAY 12
    ** WORST TRAIL IN CITICO: THE HELL SLOG ON ROCKY FLATS
    ** MATT AND HIS AR-15 ON CITICO CREEK
    ** GREG MILLER'S CRANBERRIES IN IRON CAMP
    ** TOM'S CRANBERRIES IN IRON CAMP AND COLD GAP
    ** ROB BUSH PASSES THRU COLD GAP DAY 18.

TRAILS
    Entrance at Beech Gap
    Fodderstack Ridge Trail aka BMT Heading North
    **Cold Spring Gap""
    Trail 149 Heading North
    **Dean Camp**
    Trail 149 Backtrack South to Barrel Gap
    BMT Connector up to Snow Camp
    Trail 54A(N) to Bob Bald
    **East Fir Tree Grove aka Marion Camp**
    Seven Mile Ridge Heading East into Naked Ground Gap
    **Watauga Camp**
    Seven Mile Ridge to Hangover Mt
    **Airjet Camp on Hangover Mt**
    Hangover Lead South Trail Down to Big Fat Gap
    Big Fat Gap Trail Down to Slickrock Creek Crossing 12
    **Little West Camp**(2)
    Slickrock Creek Trail Downstream
    **Crossing 11/Big Stack Jct Camp**
    Big Stack Trail Up to Crowder Camp
    **Crow Horse Camp**(2)
    Fodderstack Ridge Trail Heading South to Mill Gap
    Mill Branch Down
    **Quillen Camp**
    Mill Branch Trail Down Heading West
    Rocky Flats Trail Up
    **Chimney Camp**
    Rocky Flats Finish to Warden's Field
    South Fork Trail to Citico Creek
    **Donner Camp**(2)
    South Fork Trail Upstream
    **Iron Camp**(2)
    South Fork Trail Up to Cold Gap
    **Cold Gap**(2)
    BMT South to Beech Gap and OUT.

Little Mitten and Zoe Dog and I drive thru Tellico Plains and up into the TN mountains and stop in Beech Gap on the BMT where I get dropped off with my obscene 110 lb McHale pack.

My first night is two miles in at Cold Spring Gap on the Benton MacKaye trail aka Fodderstack Ridge trail aka Seven Mile Ridge trail. Tent of choice is Hilleberg Keron at 8 lbs 10 ozs. A Great solo tent for the duration.

It's lunch time in Cold Gap---another reason my pack is so heavy.

Day 2 and it's time to leave Cold Gap and take Trail 149 another 2+ miles to a favorite CS next to North Fork Creek. The big blue bulging stuff sack is my down vest and down parka with down mittens all stuffed inside---I bring the usual full winter kit and glad I do.

On Day 3 I leave my 149 CS and climb all the way to Bob Bald with a gain of about 2,400 feet in about 5-6 miles, a real workout with real world pack weight. Along the way I run into Davy Haynes from Alabama pulling a simple 2 night loop.

Once I reach Bob Bald I run into Bryan DeLay's son Nathan who is bailing out of the wind---too windy for him---but just right for me.

I take a long reststop on Bob Bald but the wind drives me to set up the tent and hunker in.

On Day 4 I leave Bob Bald and head east on Seven Mile Ridge and always have to stop and take a pic of this beauty rock.

Just before reaching Hangover Mt I run into these two backpackers pulling a hard loop on the Kilmer side of the wilderness---up Haoe Lead and down Deep Creek. They are from South Carolina.

On Day 5 I stay on the high ridge and keep heading east to Hangover Mt and get walloped by several 70mph wind gusts---one of which blows me 5 feet off the trail and takes my pack cover and rips it off and sends it flying into a tree---it's the bulge in my stomach.

On Day 6 I have to leave Hangover Mt and lose 3,000 feet of elevation in about 5 miles on very steep trail so out comes the microspikes for traction and grip---most esp needed with a 100 lb pack. I consider them cleats for the sport of backpacking.

The view coming off Hangover Mt into Slickrock Creek valley. The far ridge is Fodderstack Ridge and Tennessee.

It's March 8th a couple days before 8F temps and I see my first snake. Weird.

After a long day I reach Slickrock Creek just in time for a hard rainstorm and get to watch the creek go wild.

Here is Slickrock crossing #12 just above my CS and where I crossed the day before the big rainstorm.

I head downstream on Slickrock Creek trail and while crossing a side creek called Rockstack Creek I run into these two backpackers from Mars Hill NC.

They miss the Big Stack trail jct so I hike them to the trailsign and go up the trail a ways to take some pics of them crossing Big Stack Creek on their way up to Fodderstack Ridge---where I'll be going the next day on Day 9.

Day 8 and my last night on Slickrock Creek before tackling the tough Big Stack trail---a gain of 1,500 feet in 1.8 miles. The Big Stack trailpost is visible in this pic.

A pretty view of Slickrock Creek in moderately high water.

On Day 9 I leave Slickrock Creek and climb Big Stack trail and for 2 hours the Army is running treetop level Black Hawk sweeps over the wilderness---more human noise pollution in what's left of America the Beautiful.

There are two Black Hawks and this one is running up and down Slickrock Creek. So much for wilderness designation.

I finally reach the top of Big Stack trail in High Crowder Camp and know about a bad cold snap coming so I need to find my hunker station so I head down Crowder Branch trail to a spring water source and prepare for the storm.

The storm hits on Saturday March 12 about 4 in the morning and exactly 29 years to the day of the Blizzard of '93. I pull a Saturday zero as temps drop to 8F by Sunday morning.

The Mini Blizzard of '22.

I use 3 Hot Hands packets for the storm but by Sunday afternoon I'm ready to start walking south on Fodderstack Ridge.

I make it back up to High Crowder Camp and have my microspikes ready on my sternum strap. The storm dumped about 7 inches where I was and then started melting.

As I backpack south on Fodderstack Ridge I look east to Hangover Mt where I was on Day 5.

Fodder Ridge takes me to Mill Branch trail which drops me hard to Rocky Flats (the worst trail of 2022 due to 20+ blowdowns) and I stop at Abbey Creek to get water.

One of the bad blowdowns on Rocky Flats trail---this on the Cliff section. I had to use my folding saw and cut a doorway thru the mess.

Rocky Flats drops me down to Citico Creek and I get on the South Fork trail and have to cover and protect my inflatable thermarest with my white ground cloth because I'm backpacking up South Fork which has a section called God's Anus which is nothing but a wall of brambles, sawbriars and grapevine.

About 6 miles up South Fork trail I run into my first Cranberries of the trip, this group led by Greg Miller on right. This is Cranbrook school's 53rd annual 10 wilderness trip and I usually see them every March.

Greg's group on upper South Fork Creek at a place I call Iron Camp.

Greg with student leader Paige on right and Jared Moss on far right.

Greg's group preparing to leave Iron Camp and head down South Fork trail . . . into God's Anus.

I decide to hike with them to the upper South Fork crossing for some crossing pics.

Cranberries lined up for the easy South Fork crossing.

The next day another Cranberry group comes into Iron Camp as I'm packed and ready to pull the tough South Fork climb up to Cold Gap. This one is led by Tom.

I make it back to Cold Gap on Day 17/18 and where I was on Day 1. Rob Bush surprises me after pulling a two night trip and it's always good to see Rob and his big Dana Astralplane pack.

Rob takes off and Tom's group climbs SF trail behind me and passes thru Cold Gap down into the Wedge by Bob Creek.

The last Cranberries of the trip---Tom's group heading down into the Wedge.

My trip ends on Day 19 where it started on Day 1---at Beech Gap.

EPIC, EPIC, EPIC…another trip to the Citico & Slickrock Wilderness. My goodness it must feel like your own backyard by now. You finally found a way to get your pack weight over 100#’s. Who would have thought avocados with seeds and humus in its original container was the secret for success. And that pack FINALLY looks full.
    BTW, that selfie stick is awfully nice. Can I ask where your purchased it?

Glad to hear that you are safe.
    8F degrees? I thought that it would be cold. I think it’s been down to 6 here at the house on top of the Blue Ridge.
    Just kidding. 8F is cold. Western Mountaineering bag weather!
    I always enjoy your trips!
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Awesome another successful trip !
    I too am glad to hear your ok a few of us were worried about you.
    Another reason to stay healthy and fit not fat and lazy you can beat the viruses of life.
    I'm glad you got some snow since you couldn't go in January.

Whew -- I was a little worried. Glad that you're back & healthy, and glad you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing; it's the next best thing to being there!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Even covid can't keep Tipi down.

Images

Awesome pics! My back aches just looking at all of those heavy packs!

Some great pics in there. Figured I see a snake and some snow!

Poor snakes must be like, "What the crap, dude?" with the way the weather's been.

Images

Loved the stomach bulge pic. I'm thinking - man Tipi's putting on some weight! Then a good laugh when you said it was just your pack cover rolled up under your shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Glad to hear that you are safe.
    8F degrees? I thought that it would be cold. I think it’s been down to 6 here at the house on top of the Blue Ridge.
    Just kidding. 8F is cold. Western Mountaineering bag weather!
    I always enjoy your trips!
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    I'm always prepared for such cold temps when I carry my standard winter kit---- minus 10F is about my limit. I carry overkill geese items like my -15F rated bag and beefy down parka etc. During the cold snap blizzard I went thru 3 Hot Hands packets---something I never used to carry until I turned 69.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Awesome another successful trip !
    I too am glad to hear your ok a few of us were worried about you.
    Another reason to stay healthy and fit not fat and lazy you can beat the viruses of life.
    I'm glad you got some snow since you couldn't go in January.
    Yeah, January had a big 3 foot dump up on the TN mountains but I was waylaid with Adolf Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Whew -- I was a little worried. Glad that you're back & healthy, and glad you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing; it's the next best thing to being there!
    It was an exciting trip esp after sitting at home for 83 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel View Post
    Even covid can't keep Tipi down.
    Covid kicked my butt and I couldn't tolerate the least amount of cold since I was feverish and chilled etc. I usually sleep outside in the backyard every night but during my dance with Miss Covid I had to throw a thermarest on a floor in the house. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by msujay View Post
    Awesome pics! My back aches just looking at all of those heavy packs!
    Aches are minor for me with tremendous pack weight---just gotta focus on boot placement and not fall. And it feels great to stretch out on my Trail Pro pad at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Some great pics in there. Figured I see a snake and some snow!

Poor snakes must be like, "What the crap, dude?" with the way the weather's been.
    When do the rattleheads and coppermouths come out???

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    Loved the stomach bulge pic. I'm thinking - man Tipi's putting on some weight! Then a good laugh when you said it was just your pack cover rolled up under your shirt.
    That wind gust ripped it right off my giant pack and it took flight.

Images

So glad you survived the "house arrest mode"
    Looks like you lost a lot of weight during that time but gained it back while on your walkabout. Glad you're back!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    When do the rattleheads and coppermouths come out???
    Don't know about any weird hybrids, but I've never seen a pit viper before May or after November anywhere except the Gulf coast.
    I have an acquaintance who builds mountain bike trails, and put up a pic of a timber rattler on Dec. 30 in N. GA year before last, though.
    I've seen non-venomous snakes almost year-round in AL and TN, but late May heading into June is when I start getting hopeful about seeing rattlers and copperheads.

Saw a little timber this past November at <50F, and do kinda wonder why I've never seen one in early spring...

Journal Entries

Tipi--Since arriving back home have you by chance had the opportunity to read the thread honoring you that was started here on White Blaze by people who apparently were bored sitting at home during the blizzard. It's titled "Tipi trip report predictions".

Journal Entries

:banana

See: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/140829-Tipi-trip-report-predictions?highlight=Tipi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++