WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It won't be a couple of days. To file the initial report, sure. But then the prosecutor will want you to be available for 6 rounds of questions. The defense will want 12 rounds of questions. Every time you are not responding for several days (Because you are hiking somewhere hundreds of miles away) the defense will be telling the judge about that you are not responding to them so please dismiss this or reduce it to a fine. Then if it does go to trial, you will again be expected to be present. It's not right that there isn't a better recourse in this situation.
    I've been dealing with three estates these past three years. It took a month to even get before the judge to start one probate.

There was a similar situation about 10 years ago. The woman tried everything, including police involvement. She finally "Left" the trail to get away from the stalker. Nothing else had worked. It was months later when it came to light that her and several of her trusted trail family had actually jumped ahead a few hundred miles. They had to quit all postings on all sites about where they were at, family only knew. They even changed all their trail names. No trail registry entries, no Facebook, or Youtube. Total radio silence that would make the CIA proud. They then went back and did the few hundred miles they'd jumped past. Meanwhile the stalker took up harassing another woman hiker.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

A FB post reported that "ICE" was seen entering the Smokies recently. I haven't seen any more incidents reported with his behavior, so he either learned his lesson or is being ostracized.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    It won't be a couple of days. To file the initial report, sure. But then the prosecutor will want you to be available for 6 rounds of questions. The defense will want 12 rounds of questions. Every time you are not responding for several days (Because you are hiking somewhere hundreds of miles away) the defense will be telling the judge about that you are not responding to them so please dismiss this or reduce it to a fine. . .
    It can be different in every state, but as a retired NJ prosecutor, this is not true for our state. Depending on the seriousness of the crime I might call the victim to speak to them or want to meet with them. I certainly wouldn't subject them to "6 rounds of questions" because then I'm creating 6 different statements. The victim doesn't have to speak to the defense at all before trial if they don't want to. A victim would have to appear at the trial but the vast majority of cases resolve without a trial. I guess my point is I would encourage any victim of a crime to (a) report it to the police and then (b) speak to the assigned prosecutor or victim-witness unit and explain your situation/availability. I believe there is a saying . . the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    It can be different in every state, but as a retired NJ prosecutor, this is not true for our state. Depending on the seriousness of the crime I might call the victim to speak to them or want to meet with them. I certainly wouldn't subject them to "6 rounds of questions" because then I'm creating 6 different statements. The victim doesn't have to speak to the defense at all before trial if they don't want to. A victim would have to appear at the trial but the vast majority of cases resolve without a trial. I guess my point is I would encourage any victim of a crime to (a) report it to the police and then (b) speak to the assigned prosecutor or victim-witness unit and explain your situation/availability. I believe there is a saying . . the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.
    Thank you for your input. Good thoughts.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

While acknowledging that it can be different in every state, I bet it's not different by all that much. This is good and important information that all hikers (indeed all citizens) should understand. This is how our justice system works; it takes all of us to participate. That's how we built it.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Thank you for your input. Good thoughts.
    You are very welcome! Happy hiking all!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
    for opening Lady hikers tents and assaulting them. The police released him on Bond , with Drug charges No one wanted to stay and press charges for assault. He is a large man carrying an ice ax and two knives. His trail name is ICE, James Namkung. He is currently back on the trail, and was camped at Deep Gap on the 5th. He is hiking NOBO.
    More information, and a photo can be found at Appalachian Trail Section Hikers Group (Tn/Ga/Nc....) on Facebook. Also, a YouTube Video. titled Deviant Hiker on the Appalachian Trail Arrested but Possible Return to the Trail.
    Hikers should beware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    The video I have seen, and reports of him masturbating outside women's’ tents, multiple reports of inappropriately touching people, surely shouldn’t be dismissed. This is more than an odd misunderstood duck. The police should’ve evaluated him a little more closely before turning him back out to society.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hmm, where have I heard this exact scenario before? Oh, and the inconvenience of having to briefly interrupt one's hike in order to possibly save other hiker's lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I have read this whole thread before commenting, and I think this is the biggest takeaway from it. Two people were freaked out enough to cancel their hikes, yet nobody could be inconvenienced to stay in town to press charges?
    Wasn't it just two or three years ago when a similar story ended in tragedy?
    If I ever get a chance to thru hike* I hope, first, that nothing like this happens; but if it does happen in my bubble that I will be willing to take a couple days out of my 5 MONTH trip to see that justice and safety are upheld to the best of my ability to ensure - and that I would be able to convince others to do the same.

*or one on my section hikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    While acknowledging that it can be different in every state, I bet it's not different by all that much. This is good and important information that all hikers (indeed all citizens) should understand. This is how our justice system works; it takes all of us to participate. That's how we built it.
    Just FWIW, I have often taken time out of my life to do a lot of somewhat inconvenient things that didn't/don't immediately have a positive impact on just my own life: voting, jury duty, unpaid public office, etc. No, people don't have to do any of these things. But to me, it's simply part of being a responsible citizen. If one wants to enjoy the benefits of being part of the greater whole, one should consider that those benefits come with an implied duty to participate in the process. In this case, to file a complaint and bear witness to protect others in the group.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-25-2022 at 18:09.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

yes and not just AT. lucky they're called out quick

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just FWIW, I have often taken time out of my life to do a lot of somewhat inconvenient things that didn't/don't immediately have a positive impact on just my own life: voting, jury duty, unpaid public office, etc. No, people don't have to do any of these things. But to me, it's simply part of being a responsible citizen. If one wants to enjoy the benefits of being part of the greater whole, one should consider that those benefits come with an implied duty to participate in the process. In this case, to file a complaint and bear witness to protect others in the group.
    I agree with you and your position, but it is often more difficult for those that are on the trail. Someone pointed out this to me, the victim is often several hundreds of miles away from where the incident occurred with limited way to get back to testify against their assailant. They may be able to take a bus back but that also cost money, plus the additional cost of hotel stay and other essential along with the time. Years ago there was talk about ALDHA helping out victims to return to testify, but I don't think it went anywhere. I'm all for letting hikers enjoy their hike as much as possible but we all have to do our part to keep criminals off the trail.

Does anyone know where he is? Is he still on the trail? I have not heard any recent news. Hopefully he got the message, his actions are not cool.

Images

This situation is exactly why I would encourage females to carry mace, Knife, and a gun if you want. Who knows what this nut job could do next time.

When encouraging females (or gee, anyone else for that matter) to carry mace, knives, and/or guns, you might want to be sure to also encourage them to learn about threat identification, risk management and response determination; to take appropriate weapons training courses and learn weapon retention techniques, as well as have a thorough understanding of each state's particular laws pertaining to the legality of carrying such weapons, and various Use of Force statutes.

Or maybe just start with a basic self-defense course.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by 2NewKnees View Post
    This situation is exactly why I would encourage females to carry mace, Knife, and a gun if you want. Who knows what this nut job could do next time.
    It might not be a popular opinion, and arguably a smart thing to do considering how whack the US justice system can be, but that girl that got all cut up from the nutjob James Jordan (that's now free and also murdered a US vet and hiker) should have maced, sliced, diced, and shot that piece of trash. The world would be a better place and so would the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleHiker View Post
    It might not be a popular opinion, and arguably a smart thing to do considering how whack the US justice system can be, but that girl that got all cut up from the nutjob James Jordan (that's now free and also murdered a US vet and hiker) should have maced, sliced, diced, and shot that piece of trash. The world would be a better place and so would the trail.
    jordan ain't "free"

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    jordan ain't "free"
    Technically, you're right, but he's also not in a prison cell, and he is free of the murder charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A FB post reported that "ICE" was seen entering the Smokies recently. I haven't seen any more incidents reported with his behavior, so he either learned his lesson or is being ostracized.
    he was in Damascus today

he was in Damascus today
    Did he stay in a hostel? I bet the owner/s thought "This's my lucky day".

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hopefully you are right and there are no more incidents. Thank you for the update.

V/r

Keith

he was in Damascus today
    still here....

Images

jordan ain't "free"
    Technically, you're right, but he's also not in a prison cell, and he is free of the murder charge.
    Maybe not in a prison cell, per se. But likely housed in a very small (jail cell sized) "room", under watch and supervision, psychiatric treatment and meds, with limited freedoms and activities. He definitely isn't free in any sense of the word - he's under court ordered commitment until the court rules he's "no longer a threat, recovered from his mental disease or defect, etc.". And he very well may live out his life and die there. Jordan is housed at the Federal Bureau of Prison's Federal Medical Center, Butner (FMC Butner) in NC, the medical part of the Federal Corrections Complex there. Even though he's in the Medical section, it's still a Federal Prison with all the trappings - bars, locked doors, concertina wire, armed guards, etc. I doubt you would find the accommodations to be a nice home in any sense.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thank you for your post-well said! Just FWIW, I have often taken time out of my life to do a lot of somewhat inconvenient things that didn't/don't immediately have a positive impact on just my own life: voting, jury duty, unpaid public office, etc. No, people don't have to do any of these things. But to me, it's simply part of being a responsible citizen. If one wants to enjoy the benefits of being part of the greater whole, one should consider that those benefits come with an implied duty to participate in the process. In this case, to file a complaint and bear witness to protect others in the group
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++