WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SNP Waysides in 2022

Although the waysides are opening around the usual time in March/April, the SNP webpage shows that they will only open for retail sales with food service delayed until summer. For example, the Loft Mountain wayside opens for retail on April 15 but only offers food service starting July 1. This is likely to be disappointing for many thru hikers. My assumption is that the ongoing labor shortages and wage inflation has caused the concessionaire to calculate that they are better off not operating food service until the peak of summer. Unfortunate.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hours.htm
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

When they say “retail”, I assume that includes packaged foods but I’m not certain. I take food service to refer to cooked foods. However, anyone looking to resupply from the waysides should probably check with the concessionaire. For me, the waysides are nice to have but not essential. It’s certainly possible to go through the park without resupply or cooked food. It does appear that the Big Meadows and Skyland complexes will offer restaurant service as usual once they open up, so that’s still an option for a cooked meal.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

But the parks are packed. I expect that to continue at least thru this upcoming summer.
    Be Prepared

Yeah, the business would be there if they were open for food service. I suspect they are having trouble getting seasonal workers even at $15+/hour.

They have decent sandwiches and wraps, sweet and savory snacks, sodas...no hiker will leave the park hungry

And the sit down restaurants at Big Meadows and Skyland are opening this spring so no one’s going to starve. But those wayside meals sure are nice when hiking through the park, as I’ve done in spring in years past.

Images

I'm guessing food service includes those blackberry milkshakes? If so, bummer.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'd wager they try to be fully operational by Memorial weekend. That's about when the thru hikers start to show up in numbers anyway. Only the early birds will miss out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

One of the three (Elkwallow) is scheduled for 5/27 so that sounds in line with Memorial Day timeframe.

The other two do say 7/1, but each of those has another option (the lodge or camp store) in the same place to offer additional options.

One might also expect that they'd prefer to list it this way and then change to an earlier opening if they are able to get staff and the park is busy enough to warrant doing so, since no one will complain if they open sooner than expected, while many would if not open when they are supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'm guessing food service includes those blackberry milkshakes? If so, bummer.
    I ended and then began two different section hikes in Shenandoah. First time I was a few weeks late for the shakes, second time a few weeks early. The mystique grows!
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++