WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Towns and Cities to take a hiatus in while hiking the AT?

I am familiar with the trail towns that hikers look forward to reaching for their creature comforts.

My question is what non trail towns or cities have people taken time off in, or are looking forward to doing so on a future hike? A common theme with a lot of thru hikers seems to be taking a day or two to explore NYC. Just curious to see the various places within decent proximity of the trail that long distance hikers have experienced.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Washington, DC, is about a hour train ride from downtown Harper's Ferry, WV. That's a common big city hikers visit.

I would have loved to seen a show at Allenberry in Boiling springs, PA.

NYC is very cool as a hiker! We did in 1 month before the towers came down in 2001.

Should have done DC, I regret that. It would have been good.

Some interesting towns in western MA.

Boston is just a bus ride from Pinkham Notch or Gorham. But it would require and overnight in Boston (not cheap) due to the bus schedules.

Images

If you're interested in historical stuff, Gettysburg is only about 15 miles or so off the AT when you get to Michaux State Park in PA (Rt 30). Lots of motel options to get a civilized, albeit, tourist type rest break, resupply, and check out the battlefield and plethora of monuments and such, and also the Eisenhower Historic Site as well. You could easily spend a couple days here if you're interested in such stuff.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-18-2022 at 16:06.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

As you hike through Maryland you will have a chance to see the original Washington monument. And if you're interested in history in Maryland there's the Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg Maryland not far from the trail at all.

The Battle for Antietam only lasted 12 hours but over 12,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing. And led to Abraham Lincoln to the preliminary Emancipation Proclaimtion.

DC is a good day trip. The MARC commuter train goes into the city on weekday mornings and returns weekday evenings (no weekend service). Amtrak has a daily run but the eastbound train originates in Chicago so don’t expect that to be on time. Taking the Amtrak from DC back to HF is probably ok since that train originates in DC.

Union Station is perfectly located to see the U.S. Capitol, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, the national mall, and all the monuments along the mall, not to mention the Smithsonian museums. It’s a lot to see in one day and better if you can stay overnight, but even a day trip is worthwhile imo. Of course, I’m biased since I live in DC.

Images

I hear Ashville is a good spot.

Yes, western MA has Pittsfield. If you like literature, Herman Melville wrote “Moby-Dick” at his home called Arrowhead just south of Pittsfield. Guided tours offered.

Hanover NH is right on the trail, but not really a “trail town” Reasonable culture due to Dartmouth.

Images

At Hanover you can get a nice bus (Dartmouth Coach, clean and much nicer than Greyhound or PeterPan, etc.) to South Station in Boston (approx 2 1/2 hour ride) and back. Multiple bus runs every day as early as 3 am leaving Hanover and late as 9:30 pm leaving Boston returning. Lots to see and do in Boston especially historically if you have the time (and money). The Freedom Trail (walking tour) goes to 15 or so historical sites and buildings, site of the Tea Party, South Meeting House, the USS Constitution, etc.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    I hear Ashville is a good spot.
    I second Ashville, but disagree with it's a good spot, as it's a downright great spot. This is the only one I would specifically mention it's worth making the effort for (well I would add NYC and DC if big cities are one's thing).

I also hitched into N. Conway NH, which is a bit off track but enjoyed it. So will give it a mention as well.

But besides Ashville and the big 2, I'd say it gets very personal for one's journey which ones to visit, if at all.

Since you have to walk through the center of town anyway,
    I will throw out a plug for Hot Springs, NC.
    THE LIBRARY and Post Office are opposite each other on the AT.
    Several good restaurants in town. A variety of accommodations. No doubt a watering hole and live music mixed in with the restaurants and accommodations.
    Wayne

If you've never been to Washington DC, I second the posts here that are saying that. TOTALLY worth your time, esp if the weather is nice.

++ New Posts ++