WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catholic Mass

Default Catholic Mass

I'm planning a flip-flop thru-hike in 2023. While on the trial, I am planning to attend weekly Catholic Mass. I have found some information in this forum and online regarding churches close to the AT. I am contacting all these churches to get additional information such as Mass and confession times. I'm also inquiring if these parishes or it's parishioners would offer shuttles, provide shower or laundry services, or places to camp or stay. My goals is to compile all this information and make it available to other hikers, possibly even create an app. I would like to hear from other hikers who are interested in this information or has ideas on the best way to make it available.
    Peace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzah Hiker View Post
    I am contacting all these churches to get additional information such as Mass and confession times. I'm also inquiring if these parishes or it's parishioners would offer shuttles, provide shower or laundry services, or places to camp or stay. My goals is to compile all this information and make it available to other hikers, possibly even create an app.
    Peace.
    Good luck on your worthy project. You're off to a good start!

Images

There’s an old thread regarding this here https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...Mass-in-the-NE with a few links. Kind of old but it might help.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I remember when I was a kid being on camping trips in Maine and my dad packing everything up and driving all the way out to attend mass. This was the spark to set off my questioning about religion. It might be good to see if maybe you can bring some blessed eucharists and water to stay on trail if the logistics were out of hand.

Thanks for the link, 4eyed buzzard. There is a lot of good information in it. I will see how much is still relevant.

BTW-I'm a big Beverly Hillbillies Fan too.

Maineiac64,

Thanks for the reply and idea.

Images

I'm planning a flip-flop thru-hike in 2023. While on the trial, I am planning to attend weekly Catholic Mass. I have found some information in this forum and online regarding churches close to the AT. I am contacting all these churches to get additional information such as Mass and confession times. I'm also inquiring if these parishes or it's parishioners would offer shuttles, provide shower or laundry services, or places to camp or stay. My goals is to compile all this information and make it available to other hikers, possibly even create an app. I would like to hear from other hikers who are interested in this information or has ideas on the best way to make it available.
    Peace.
    Great idea. My long-term goal is to do something similar with Orthodox Churches. I won't be able to do a thru-hike for several years, but that's the goal.

Good idea but VERY few priests, at least those that are legitimate, will allow one to bring the Blessed Sacrament with you and that does not fulfill the Holy Day of obligation. What you can do is request a dispensation from your pastor for those days you are likely to miss Mass.
    Please contact me if you have any questions, I actually am very well informed on this topic and it is something I've contemplated when I get serious about my thru hike.
    Last edited by Alligator; 02-23-2022 at 19:12. Reason: TOS #15, #1; We'll handle the moderation. Thanks.

there's 9 churches in the trail town of Damascus. but not 1 Catholic church. there is one 10 miles away in Abingdon. i will give you a free ride when and if the time comes

The shelter on Priest mountain has a confession log but I believe it is non denominational.....

There is a Catholic Church in Cheshire Mass. not far from the trailhead. It's on Main Street.
    They used to provide water and charging and camping outside the Church.
    There is a new camping area just off the rail trail near the Highway Dept. grounds
    Diana's Whip close by for food and drinks

In NY we have the Graymoor Spiritual Life Center, a Franciscan catholic ministry. As far as I know, they still allow hikers to camp on their property, among other services (water, shower, charging), but it would be a good idea to confirm. Also, I DWG, we have the Church of the Mountain (Presbyterian) that has a donation hiker hostel in its basement (shower, laundry, charging, etc.).

Lone wolf, frankly, Stephan & Mouser thank you for the reply and information. I’ll added it to the database.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    There is a Catholic Church in Cheshire Mass. not far from the trailhead. It's on Main Street.
    They used to provide water and charging and camping outside the Church.
    There is a new camping area just off the rail trail near the Highway Dept. grounds
    Diana's Whip close by for food and drinks
    Just south of that in Dalton, you actually hike by the Catholic Church (St. Agnes), if that should happen to work better in scheduling. Also be sure to double check, as many churches (at least in this area) have cut back on Masses either due to lower attendance or lack of priests (where one may serve several parishes at the same time). Additionally, if you search for a map of dioceses of the USA, you can find one (I saw one via Wikipedia), which is probably a good start point to then find the sites for each of those dioceses that cover areas where the trail runs. One final (not as good) option - many (if not most) areas are still streaming masses online - if you wound up in an area where a church was not accessible that is an option also.

BillGr-thanks for the help. I have identified about 90 Catholic Churches in close proximity to the AT. I am in the process of contacting all of these churches with the intent of creating a database of Mass and confession times, along with other services like shuttles or camping that might be available. Right on, this database is a work-in-progress but I would be happy to share it. Anyone can send me a private message if interested. The big dream, is to build an app for Hikers with this information. I don’t know how to build an app but I’m working on it. Can anyone help me with building an app?
    Peace.

Peace.
    You would be welcome to place the information in the Articles section here on WB.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

My thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by franky View Post
    That's pretty handy. If you zoom in enough the trail centerline will show on the map provided it is in the area. Same thing happens with Google Maps but the link you provided has other potentially helpful options.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I have used Masstimes.org when I travel. It does come in handy. I hope to provide additional information relevant to a thru hiker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++