WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting NOBO section hike from Harriman

I will be section hiking NY and CT, accessing the trail from MTA's Port Jervis line. I intend to stay at Fingerboard the first night because I will not start out until mid-afternoon.

Question: Should I take the train to Harriman, walk South two miles on NY 17 and pick up the trail there? Or, should I take the train to Tuxedo Park and hike the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail until it connects to the AT?

Pros and cons of each approach would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Technically, hitch hiking is illegal in NY, but I bet it would be easy enough to score a ride for the 2 miles on 17 from a commuter leaving the Harriman parking lot. Bring a sign
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I'd take the train to Harriman. I've done it before and it's really easy to get down NY17 even if you walk it. But it's also likely that you can get a ride from a fellow train passenger who might be driving south on NY17. BTW, be sure to stock up on water on the way to Fingerboard. There is supposedly an intermittent spring there, but I've never heard of it actually having water. Otherwise it's a really cool old stone shelter in the "Sleepy Hollow Rustic" style of the Harriman State Park shelters.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Or you can on the "big rocks"/ledge above the Fingerboard shelter like I did.

Meant to say sleep on.

My understanding is Fingerboard shelter is closed due to bear activity.
    Check the A.T. website for more information.
    ezdoesit
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

here you go a copy and paste from the A.T.
    https://appalachiantrail.org/trail-u...gressive-bear/
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

If you need a shuttle at the end of your hike, I might be able to help with a ride to an MNR station - at Wassaic or Pawling, etc.
    Find me on the White Blaze shuttle provider list (currently listed at 1452.6, but am actually in CT right near the NY-CT state line, ~1459. My mileage marker got changed somehow on the list). I shuttle year-round (NOT limited to May-Sep)...but availability will vary, so definitely get in touch ahead of time if interested.

++ New Posts ++