WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Feet cooling socks

Does anyone know of any good socks that cool off the feet during the summer, especially for hiking long distance?

Most long distance folks seem to lean toward Darn Tough socks. I have a few pair - they are wool....not sure they cool off the feet, but they are very comfortable and I dont get blisters. I think having a shoe with lots of air flow helps out a lot. I like the cushioned socks because hiking 15 mile days over and over wreck my feet.

All else being equal, short, thin synthetics(like "running socks") are the coolest/least warm.

It's mainly about the shoes, and how well-ventilated they are, though. For me, one of those "defining moments" pertaining to gear was when I switched from Merrell vented hiking shoes to significantly lighter Altra trail runners, and realized that I could feel the wind on my feet.

Ininji toe socks, the thin gray ones.

Default Sock Talk

This is a reply I posted in 2010 to a similar question. I still use these socks when hiking in warm or hot weather and love em. Never a blister.
    I really don't know if they're still in production. But if so, check them out.

While hiking the AT in 2008, I purchased numerous pairs of hiking socks... Wool, wool blends and silk. And while I only wore my thin silk socks at night, the others were sufficient in the winter, early spring and late fall. However, during the hot summer, even while wearing my Vasque Breeze boots, my feet got hot. While restocking food supplies at a Wal-Box store somewhere along the AT, I searched the sock section to see if I could find a non-cotton sock that might be cooler. I found these...

Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks.
    (From a retail web site...) Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks are engineered to enhance circulation and provide dry use all day long. Featuring excellent moisture-wicking properties for maximum dryness and comfort. The DSM-9125 utilizes a non-binding top to improve circulation and to keep the legs unrestricted. The Diabetic Health Crew socks showcase non-irritating, smooth toe seam construction to provide added comfort in the toe area, while anti-Odor fabrication keeps your socks fresh.
    The Dr. Scholl's Circulatory Health Crew socks are specifically treated with an antimicrobial agent that resists bacterial odors, even after repeated washings, allowing for long lasting use and wear wash after wash. A classic crew length provides mid-calf coverage while a 2-pack design provides great value. King Size (big & tall) is designed with extra length in the foot and leg for a custom fit and extra comfort.
    Features include:
    • Fabric Content: 51% Polyester, 41% Acrylic, 7% Nylon, 1% Spandex
    • Non-Binding Top Allows For Better Circulation
    • Non-Irritating Smooth Toe Seam
    • Keeps Feet Drier
    • Odor Resistant (SO important along the AT!)
    • Made In The U.S.A.
    • Accepted By The American Podiatric Medical Association
    • Sold As A 2-Pack ( I think I paid $12 for the 2-Pack in 2009.)

I really like these socks. They are light, durable, comfortable, easy to wash and dry fast. They come in several styles (low cut, crew, etc.) Thankfully, for me, they come in size 12.5 to 14. Plus, the price is/was right!
    I still have all my other "hiking socks" and wear them in cooler weather. But in the heat of the late spring, summer and early fall, I'll wear these Dr. Scholl's socks every time!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Whatever socks you settle on, it helps to take off your socks and footwear at lunch breaks and if possible, put them on a sunny rock. That will certainly air out your feet and dry out the socks/footwear as well. I discovered Darn Tough socks during my years of section-hiking, and now wear them most of the time. I never got blisters, and the socks last seemingly forever. (And if they don't, the company will send you a new comparable pair.)

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I don't think they actually cool my feet, but Wigwam Coolmax or Ultimax socks wick & dry fast and keep my feet as comfortable, or more so, than anything else I've tried. I find wool makes my feet feel clammy. You can get them at Campmor if your favorite sock emporium doesn't carry them. Darn Tough is just plain a good product with a lifetime guarantee, tough to beat that.

Thank you for your response and help Doug.

Thank you for your response.

That sounds great and thank you for your response and help.

++ New Posts ++