WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail Magic?

Default Trail Magic?

My wife and I are wanting to do trail magic this year and we are wanting to make sure we are in the right area at a peak time when we can feed some hikers. Wondering if you guys can hook me up with prime time for three areas. The location furthest south would be Wayah Bald NC. On another site they told me early March at Wayah Bald, is that correct? Next is Beauty Spot close to Erwin TN. Last would be Roan Mountain area. We are most interested in the Beauty Spot area west of Erwin because a rare slamander lives in that area that we would love to see.

Would also love to know what food/drinks hikers are most interested in.

Thaks for any help,
    Derek

Images

Trail magic? Or a hiker feed? And yes, there is a big difference. True Trail Magic is spontaneous - like a ride when you need it most, someone letting you shower, do laundry, stay on their porch for a night, or someone with sewing skills repairing a tear in your jacket, etc. Hiker feeds are artificial and planned. Hikers want beer, pizza, burgers, soda, ice cream, etc. Whether they need free food and such or not is debatable. And there are some non-food things many, if not most hikers, don't really want as well - generally in the categories of religion and/or politics. Before you start, consider the impact of possibly attracting a large group, it's environmental and health impacts, and check to see if it is okay/legal at whatever location you choose and what restrictions may apply (government lands aren't open free-for-alls). Also read this https://appalachiantrail.org/explore...g/trail-magic/

My most memorable trail magic moments:

I was hiking the VT AT section NOBO and injured my foot (tendon tear) near the Story Spring Shelter. I hobbled out to the nearest "road" - Kelly Stand Rd (a very sparsely used dirt road) which would take me 8+ miles to Rt 7 and then about 20 miles to outside of Bennington where my car was parked. As I'm limping along Kelly Stand, there are zero cars. NONE. Finally, after about an hour, a truck camper came by and I stuck out my thumb and they kept going a bit, but then stopped. Perhaps one of maybe 3 or 4 cars that might go down this road in a given day. This couple were going out to route 7 and then heading north on their way home from a camping vacation. They not only gave me a ride to Rt 7 where I could have easily hitched south to my car, but offered me a snack, beer, water, and insisted on changing their route home and went some 20 miles out of their way and drove me to my car at the trailhead.

While hiking the NJ/NY section leading a group of Boy Scouts with my uncle, the trail ran alongside a farmers field with some really good looking ripe sweet corn. We were tempted, but being Boy Scouts, resisted the urge to pick a few ears. The farmer was out by the fence a little further down the trail (old dirt tractor road) and saw us and told us to wait for a few minutes. He came back a few minutes later with a big bag of fresh corn, carrots, and a big watermelon. We ate good that night.

While leaving work at the White River Junction VT, VA Hospital one day, there was a hiker hitching on the onramp to I-91. I stopped, figuring he likely only needed a short ride north. Found out he was thru-hiking the LT and was headed to Journeys End in northern VT. Knowing the logistics of getting there I figured OK, what the h377, this is a chance to pay it forward and help out a hiker as others had done for me. I called my wife, told her I'd be a couple of hours late, and drove him right to the trail.

True Trail Magic isn't about feeding people who already have food. It's about hikers UNEXPECTEDLY getting something nice - and even more so - getting what they NEED.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-12-2022 at 21:09.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

around the 1st of May on Beauty Spot

Giving free food to people on vacation is a popular fad. Expect busy spots to already have someone set up.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Giving free food to people on vacation is a popular fad. Expect busy spots to already have someone set up.
    4eyedbuzzard's post succinctly defines the difference between a hiker feed and trail magic. If the idea is to feed people, might I suggest finding some food banks that you can support either with food donations or money (which most established food banks can really stretch a dollar!) and makes far more sense than feeding people who are on a long vacation and provisioned.

If real trail magic is the goal, most hikers lack the ability to get to town easily for a zero day or resupply. So, drive to see the salamanders, when done with that linger a bit at the parking lot or trail road crossing to see if there is anyone who could use a ride to town and back. There are literally hundreds of trail crossings along roads that lead to resupply and would provide an unexpected bit of real magic for them. You may only get a handful of people who will take up your offer, but their gratitude will last through their entire trip and far beyond. Myself, I recall a family that did this for me some years ago but I cannot recall with any clarity the last hiker feed I shouldered through.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    True Trail Magic isn't about feeding people who already have food. It's about hikers UNEXPECTEDLY getting something nice - and even more so - getting what they NEED.
    While I agree with the definition and distinguishing between the two, The hikers journals, books, v-logs, etc that I have followed for the last 10 years call it [hiker feed] trail magic, almost without exception. They refer to someone performing true trail magic as a "trail angel".
    They also don't know the true definition of a "stealth" camp site, but we know what they mean, right?.

Images

Just to clarify a bit my prior post. I don't think hiker feeds are ruining the AT. Most of what has come to be is the result of increased hiker numbers, not trail angels somehow enabling them. And it's a nice that people want to be generous with their time and money to be kind to hikers who are generally constantly hungry and craving something beyond typical trail fare. I get that it feels good to do nice things for other people. I try to help out hikers when I can as well. Perhaps its the growth of popularity in thru-hiking in general, the spring bubble, and the over-the-top nature of larger hiker feeds that often seem to more resemble NFL tailgate parties that just seems wrong and out of place somehow. It just seems too planned, too artificial, too large in scale. But maybe given what many call a "travelling party" of NOBO thru's, it's not actually out of place or scale anymore? And it's just my opinion, largely because, face it, I'm old and still remember how the AT once was prior to what it has become. So, just don't take my somewhat negative opinion too harshly. It's more a criticism of the loss of spontaneity and what has become the "normal practice" that has occurred, not the people who just want to be kind to hikers.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

My trail magic story from way back. I mostly do volunteer trail maintenance but a maintained trail in the woods doesn't seem so magical to most people.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1440129

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with the spontaneity and the serendipity of trail magic.

I remember sitting on a rock at ST John ledges (?) eating my SPAM tortilla when two day hikers came up. We talked for a while and then the woman pull out a cold Coke and gave it to me. I told the guy his wife wasn’t a trail angel but a trail goddess. Unexpected and appreciated.

I have taken advantage of hiker feeds also tho.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

One detail conveniently forgotten about with organized trail feeds is sanitation, very few road crossings come equipped with running water or privy's. Folks who stop for lunch are not going to have clean hands and everything they touch is potentially contaminated. Folks forget that the biggest health issue on the trail in pre covid years is the Norovirus. Covid precautions help prevent Norovirus but pre covid, Norovirus was knocking a lot of folks off the trail for a few days and some for good, but was not typically hospitalizing them. So along with a heaping portion of marginally cooled or heated homemade potato salad along comes a dose of highly transmissible Norovirus. No doubt the woods near the trailhead will be used for Privy.

It is nice and very much appreciated by hikers to give some time and attention, a few chairs to sit in, some fruits, some juices and a little encouragement. No matter what its called, going out of your way to be positive and helpful is great. Hike your own hike and do whatever trail magic you want

Journal Entries

The AT thru hike is a special time in one's life. It's something many of us would like to be able to do at some time and in our own way (as thru hiking is not for everyone, but something in life is), and talking to these thru hikers, those who take that challenge can be a very encouraging thing. You are talking to the winners in an aspect of life. That is the trade in these trail magic events. Stories of people's adventures and that is worth the price of the hiker food.

On the other side of that, while on a thru hike it a hiker usually should have what they need, but some foods are not able to be packed easily out of town, so a thru hiker does sacrifice for the hike and cravings and denial of those cravings can and do happen. Those foods however are far easier to bring by car to a trailhead.

So we have this wonderful exchange, stories that when told can inspire others, and provisions that inspire the hikers who have many times have expressed gratitude for that food they have been missing and longing to have. And when that last part happens, a hiker given the exact food they have been craving, that is trail magic.

So thank you for that kind offering, may it be greatly multiplied back to you.

My suggestion would be to provide this further north if you can VA or better ideally. In the far south there are so many such opportunities that it often becomes counterproductive and I remember getting somewhat annoyed as my pack weight was not going down and figuring if I could pull 20+ mile days in the beginning I would hit enough trail magic that I didn't need to bring any food and that is going a bit beyond trail magic and just becoming hiker feeds.

Today's incentives become tomorrow's expectations. This old saying somewhat applies to today's thru-hike experience. The more hiker assistance [food or whatever], the more is expected. Some have complained farther north on the journey of the lack of "trail magic" Just sayin'

The OP's question asked where the best place and peak time is to feed people. It shouldn't matter what its called.

I think the NC/GA line would be a great place to set up a BBQ for through Hikers. Its a beautiful drive through the mountains just outside of Franklin, NC. I would think anytime during the month of March or Early April would be a great time to set up -
    Thanks for what you are doing!! Im sure everyone will enjoy something great to eat. Brats, Hot Dogs, Burgers, cold drinks and some granola bars would be a great treat.
    Maybe post on here where you plan to set up - I'm sure through hikers will read this and plan a stop to have a snack.
    Cheers!
    Doug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The OP's question asked where the best place and peak time is to feed people. It shouldn't matter what its called.
    Here's why some of us think it does matter: Please read this https://appalachiantrail.org/explore...g/trail-magic/ , especially the part on unintended consequences and hiker feeds. No one here has said anything grossly different regarding "Trail Magic" or "Hiker Feeds" than that expressed by ATC (The Appalachian Trail Conservancy), the organization that coordinated the building of the trail and is tasked with the ongoing preservation and maintenance of the trail. While the ATC includes hiker feeds on its page devoted to Trail Magic, it definitely differentiates between the two, placing hiker feeds under the separate category of "Acts of ​Generosity with ​Unintended ​Negative ​Consequences". Many of us agree with their philosophy regarding their mission and responsibility, and their concerns regarding hiker feeds. After all, the plaque on Springer Mountain doesn't say, "A footpath for those who seek hiker feeds at every road crossing".
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-14-2022 at 12:27.

Default Trail Magic or Hiker Feed

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Here's why some of us think it does matter: Please read this https://appalachiantrail.org/explore...g/trail-magic/ , especially the part on unintended consequences and hiker feeds. No one here has said anything grossly different regarding "Trail Magic" or "Hiker Feeds" than that expressed by ATC (The Appalachian Trail Conservancy), the organization that coordinated the building of the trail and is tasked with the ongoing preservation and maintenance of the trail. While the ATC includes hiker feeds on its page devoted to Trail Magic, it definitely differentiates between the two, placing hiker feeds under the separate category of "Acts of ​Generosity with ​Unintended ​Negative ​Consequences". Many of us agree with their philosophy regarding their mission and responsibility, and their concerns regarding hiker feeds. After all, the plaque on Springer Mountain doesn't say, "A footpath for those who seek hiker feeds at every road crossing".
    I have read this in the past and just reread it. Again, it doesn't matter what the OP titled their post. Trail Magic or Hiker Feed, they wanted to know where to set up. There are posts here that are trying to correct the OP, "Trail Magic or Hiker Feed?" and they seem to be a bit critical. The OP clearly stated they want to feed people. You did provide alternatives that you experienced as did a few others. But it seems that the OP is being criticized for not titling their post correctly as most of you call it a hiker feed and not trail magic. And actually, they are being criticized for wanting to feed people and not providing trail magic in the manner it would have been given "in the olden days." I understand, back in the day, the AT was more primitive and perhaps it has "ruined" your view of a modern day thru hike. But it is what it is. A thru hike has changed and no amount of criticizing is going to change that. Instead of sticking to the topic and providing information, it seems there is much "lecturing" going on. You did provide them with a thoughtful link, then others chimed in to complain about the OPs intention. At least, that is my viewpoint when reading it. I could just be a little overly sensitive to the negativity.

I agree, the plaque does not mention anything about feeding people. Nor does it state White Blaze should have the authority on when, where, how and how much people are fed. Geez, they just asked a simple question, you gave a simple answer with a link, but it seems many more want to jump in and be so negative. If I had posted this, I would have felt a little defensive.

And the plaque also doesn't say anything about trail magic, yet you were happy to receive it in the manner that benefited you.

My apologies, after reading my post, I was overly harsh. I am sorry.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    One detail conveniently forgotten about with organized trail feeds is sanitation, very few road crossings come equipped with running water or privy's. Folks who stop for lunch are not going to have clean hands and everything they touch is potentially contaminated. Folks forget that the biggest health issue on the trail in pre covid years is the Norovirus. Covid precautions help prevent Norovirus but pre covid, Norovirus was knocking a lot of folks off the trail for a few days and some for good, but was not typically hospitalizing them. So along with a heaping portion of marginally cooled or heated homemade potato salad along comes a dose of highly transmissible Norovirus. No doubt the woods near the trailhead will be used for Privy.
    I did a "hiker feed" at one of the GSMNP back country shelters a few years ago. I brought along my huge MSR dromedary bag with a faucet-style on/off handle. Before we got started, I filtered a bunch of water and set that up on "water ==>" sign post along with a bottle of camp soap. Our one request before anyone partook of our food was to first wash their hands because we did have a single communal bottle of ketchup and bag of Oreo cookies. {The ridge-runner staying at the shelter that day was impressed by this little detail}

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++