WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Fire on Roan Mtn!

Just saw this posted in a Facebook group. Anybody have any direct knowledge about it?

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/fire...riday-morning/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

As much as I hate to say this, a forest fire this time of year is not a natural occurrence. It is normal to wet and the ground too cold to start naturally. Thankfully the NC firefighters were able to get it under control fairly quickly. It will be interesting to see what happens.

V/r

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    As much as I hate to say this, a forest fire this time of year is not a natural occurrence. It is normal to wet and the ground too cold to start naturally. Thankfully the NC firefighters were able to get it under control fairly quickly. It will be interesting to see what happens.

V/r

Wolf
    I don’t know about Roan Mountain, but The Weather Channel app has warned of high fire danger conditions recently in North and central Ga.

“….HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FOR NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA DUE TO LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITIES, DRY FUELS, AND WIND GUSTS…..”

Images

was up on Wesser Bald a couple of days ago and there was a fire somewhere... but too far south for Roan. It is pretty dry out there in places!!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

It wasn't too bad. It came very close to the trail but didn't cross it. I reckon it is snowing up there now.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

0212220910a_HDR.jpg0212220907_HDR.jpg0212220911b_HDR.jpg0212221218_HDR.jpg

Journal Entries

Thank you for the photos, Mtn Squid. I agree, that doesn't look too bad. Within a single season I expect it will be fully greened up.

Had a dusting of snow at my house early this morning. Wasn't expecting it! Interesting and inspiring how a little blanket of pure white snow will cover up those scars.

Probably not even that long. The FS does controlled burns where I hike at LBJ National Grasslands, north of Decatur Texas. There was at least two in the last three weeks, on an area right next to where I hike. Last year, they did the entire area where I hike. They burned a few thousand acres on a Monday. I was hiking in it on Saturday when the larger dead-falls were still smoking. By the following week, the natural grasses where an inch tall. Two weeks later, grass everywhere. Three weeks post- controlled burn and you couldn't tell there had even been a burn. The BLM then ran 450 head of cattle in there for the next few months. This year, where the grasses used to be just a few inches high before last years burns, now the natural grasses (little Blue Stem) is waist high in places. Just like the buffalo like it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

++ New Posts ++