WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hiking partner NY & vicinity April-May-June 2022

Hi, I'm a senior male looking for a partner for a section hike this spring. Typical daily mileage 12-14 miles, more if the Trail is easy, less in hard sections.
    My first priority would be NY state from NY17A to the Connecticut border, but I'm open to other permutations anywhere between Culver Gap NJ to the Mass border.
    I'd like to log 80-100 miles (ballpark).
    Anytime between Easter (Apr 17) and mid June, except I'd like to be home for Mother's Day.
    My wife wants me to have a 'minder' for safety reasons, and who can argue with that?

Any takers?

Mapman

I'm a north bound section hiker. Currently still have 90 miles left in PA, which I hope to get done by the end of March.
    Daily mileage is roughly the same. Usually do 40-45+ mile sections. Driving from Charlotte NC.
    Watch the grand kids on Fridays. Usual hike schedule is to drive up after church on Sunday or earlier, then back home by Thursday evening.
    PM me if interested

I was thinking about hiking from High Point to Pawling this October. I might consider a mid May or early June hike.
    More walking, less talking.

that would be close to what I hope to log. I'll post again in a month or so. If springtime doesn't work out I could be open to an October hike as well.

Journal Entries

I don't know if this is still in effect but the wells were shut down by NPS in NY,NJ, and CT. Plan accordingly since it will be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I was thinking about hiking from High Point to Pawling this October. I might consider a mid May or early June hike.
    How many miles per day are you considering? My understanding is that that section is rough due to steep grades and rocks (as in climbing over rocks, not stepping on them), in spite of the modest elevation changes on the profile.

I did this section in 7 days when I thru hiked in 2010. The thing that I remember the most about this section was the heat. There were lots of rock ledges but not rocky like PA and western NJ. Water was scarce. This was around July 4. I haven't given much thought on miles per day, but my average is around 15 to 18.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    miles per day, but my average is around 15 to 18.
    I'm afraid that's too fast for me

++ New Posts ++