WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Low sodium

Default Low sodium

Anyone have any low sodium meal ideas? Would love to find freeze dried but hard to find
    Efficiency is intelligent laziness
    Anonymous

If you make your own dehydrated meals, you get to control the sodium.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

You might be able to find a low cost dehydrator at a thrift store. You can also dehydrate in your oven.

Charlotte

Images

Purchase Mountain House in #10 tins and then use a sieve to extract most of the salt.....repack into ziplocks....enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    You might be able to find a low cost dehydrator at a thrift store. You can also dehydrate in your oven.

Charlotte
    Yard sales...

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Alligator's suggestion is a good one. But you might also find, if you are doing strenuous hiking in hot weather, that your need for salt will increase. I say this from personal experience, as I don't normally use salt much in my cooking, but didn't try to avoid in on my section hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Alligator's suggestion is a good one. But you might also find, if you are doing strenuous hiking in hot weather, that your need for salt will increase. I say this from personal experience, as I don't normally use salt much in my cooking, but didn't try to avoid in on my section hikes.
    Indeed. This is often overlooked.

I've read that hyponatremia is one of the most common problems that Grand Canyon rangers encounter.

On a warm-weather section in Shenandoah, I remember feeling light-headed and a little weird after a few miles over fairly easy trail. I was close to a Wayside and stopped in for lunch: the usual burger and fries. All that salt fixed me right up. After that, I started carrying a tiny vial of salt on my hikes.

Journal Entries

Be careful since you could wind up with cramps.

Contact your doctor. Most hikers piss out way too much sodium anyway due to dilution (i.e., significantly increased intake of H2O).

A civilian (arm chair and couch potato) diet is not a hiker diet. My body generally (subconsciously) tells me what it needs on an hour-to hour and day-to-day basis. It's a bit scary sometimes actually how my body craves exactly what it needs.
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

Or cook from scratch. Red lentils with a quick cooking starch (basmati rice, bulgher wheat, buckwheat). Bring to boil and let set in a pot cozy. Add seasoning (I like curry), olive oil, dried veggies as desired. I find salt helps, but you can add as much or as little as you want.

++ New Posts ++