WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Altra Trail runners, first section hike:

After using Keen Targhee 2's for several years, I decided to try the ever popular Altra trail runners this past year on my section hike of the Shenandoah Nat'l Park.
    Why? Because the waterproof hiking boots will eventually get saturated - even hiking through dewy grass - and they take two consecutive dry days to fully dry out. Lighter and more breatheable trail runners will dry faster and the energy saved at the end of a day of hiking is said to be significant.

So I went to the national chain box store outfitter and tried on every pair of trail runners they had to see which ones fit me the best. (I did this previously with boots, and taking the time to do so is worth it; I got my first blister in my Keen's after 500 trail miles, doing a 19 mile day in the rain.) I settled on the Altra Superior 4.5, and installed the supplied rock guard between the sole and the insole.

*edit* The first thing I noticed was that the flared out sole of the right shoe kept hitting my left ankle as I walked. Annoying, but after a couple days I seem to have adjusted my gait to stop this.

The middle part of the SNP is pretty rocky - and it was my longest day of the trip at 22 miles - and my feet were killing me from that point onward. I also kicked a rock or root, and ended up losing a toenail.

I did not get any blisters on the 112 mile section.

I have come to the conclusion that my feet need the added protection of the heavier boots. Perhaps if I ever get a chance to do a thru hike, after a month or two of hiking with boots, I will switch to the Altras again, hoping my feet will be conditioned to hiking by that point. Just doing one (or two if I'm lucky) section a year, however, my feet don't have time to get toughened up enough to use trail runners without suffering for the next two months.
    Last edited by MtDoraDave; 02-05-2022 at 06:42.

Excellent review!

Instead of the Superiors, try the Lone Peaks.

Some years back I tried the Superior 1.5s and also discovered they are a bit too minimal for me and found my feet sore after a few days. But this has never happened with Lone Peaks.

Lone Peak 5s are on sale right now to make room for the new 6 model, so maybe you can find them in your size. I recently bought 2 more pairs of LP5s on sale. Usually only the garish, bright colors are remaining at the end of the season, however.

Images

I use the Superiors to work out at the gym, but use Lone Peaks while hiking. The Lone Peaks are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had.

I have some foot issues as I am getting older and would like a little more cushion. I was lucky enough to be able to meet with some Altra reps at a running store last fall that was having a demonstration day. The rep suggested the Olympus. I bought a pair and I have been wearing them to walk the dog on trails and sidewalks and have been pleased with them. The rep mentioned that a boot version of the Olympus may be developed.

I too, have used the Superiors and found them too minimal. I used Lone Peaks on my hikes in 2019 and 2020, switched to Keen Tarhees in 2021 hoping to find a trail runner that was more durable. I trained with them and was very excited to use them for a 700 mile section of the PCT. I got heal blisters in the first 50 miles. Not sure why I didn't develop blisters while I trained, but I did. I switched back to Lone Peaks and are using the Keens in the gym.

My only grip with the Lone Peaks is durability. I loved the 3.0's and they lasted 500 miles. The 3.5's I had only lasted 300 miles. The 4.0's were a bit better, I'm hoping the 5.0's durability approaches the 3.0's.

Have you considered ventilated trail shoes?. They offer similar foot protection to a boot with light weight breathability of trail runners. I hiked through a torrential downpour an the AT in central VA in Keen Voyagers (low top not waterproof). The trail was basically a creek and I was wading in ankle deep water (squish squish). The next morning I met a guy who had been caught in the same storm trying to dry his "waterproof" boots in the sun. I looked down at my feet and my shoes were completely dry. I have since switched to Oboz Sawtooth. Some of the flaps on the two-piece soles of the Keens tended to come unglued

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    I too, have used the Superiors and found them too minimal. I used Lone Peaks on my hikes in 2019 and 2020, switched to Keen Tarhees in 2021 hoping to find a trail runner that was more durable. I trained with them and was very excited to use them for a 700 mile section of the PCT. I got heal blisters in the first 50 miles. Not sure why I didn't develop blisters while I trained, but I did. I switched back to Lone Peaks and are using the Keens in the gym.

My only grip with the Lone Peaks is durability. I loved the 3.0's and they lasted 500 miles. The 3.5's I had only lasted 300 miles. The 4.0's were a bit better, I'm hoping the 5.0's durability approaches the 3.0's.
    I've used every model from 3.0 on and the 5.0s are pretty darn good. They're just about spent but with about 700 miles they've got some life left in them. Since I just bought 2 more pairs of 5s I'll probably miss experiencing the 6 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Have you considered ventilated trail shoes?. They offer similar foot protection to a boot with light weight breathability of trail runners. I hiked through a torrential downpour an the AT in central VA in Keen Voyagers (low top not waterproof). The trail was basically a creek and I was wading in ankle deep water (squish squish). The next morning I met a guy who had been caught in the same storm trying to dry his "waterproof" boots in the sun. I looked down at my feet and my shoes were completely dry. I have since switched to Oboz Sawtooth. Some of the flaps on the two-piece soles of the Keens tended to come unglued
    Yes.

My feet seem to be unusually shaped, finding a shoe or boot that fits properly takes time and patience. Before switching to the Altra, I bought a pair of Targhee Vent boots. They felt like the same fit as the Targhee 2 when I tried them on in the store, but at the end of my section hike, I had 3 blisters and a discolored toenail.

To the other suggestions of going with the Lone Peak instead of the Superior: that was the first shoe I tried - because so many people talk about it being the one to go with - and something about the fit was off (for me).
    So I guess I have to decide between trying them this fall or going back to the relatively heavy waterproof Keens.

I am note sure what your footwear needs are, but I went with Altra LP because that's what everyone was doing. It can't be that bad if through hikers are using them right? I was impartial to it.. I don't love it, I didn't hate it. I loved the wide fit! I am a lover of Birkenstocks and around camp with the lassoes loosened it felt very similar to my favorite clogs.

Anyhow purely because I wanted to try something new, I pick up a pair of Speedgoats late last year... Oh My! They are glorious! I highly recommend Hokas. I over pronate (fallen arches) very badly. Speed goats offer just enough support, probably similar to your Keens. I think both companies focus on foot fit. Anyhow Ive recently switched out the shoes I use for fitness type walking, New Balance 860 for the Gaviota, again so much support AND cushion... I plan to do a 3 night "rails to trails" hike in near Dayton Ohio, 28 mile Twin Valley Creek Trail and plan to wear the Gaviota.

Both seem like great shoe companies! Glad you fond a shoe that works for you... it can be a struggle.

Ininji toe sock liners put an end to my blisters in couple different sorts of footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Ininji toe sock liners put an end to my blisters in couple different sorts of footwear.
    I need to try those although I don't struggle with blisters most of the time. I had a fairly horrible blister experience after decades of not having any problems doing Section J of the PCT last year and had to run a 1/2 marathon with my wife the day after getting off the trail. It wasn't that bad once I got to running but I was gimping around everywhere prior to the race.

I still hike in boots. I trail run as much as hike these days and I run in trail runners (Hoka Mtn Goat 4) but I still wear boots when I hike. I learned to stay away from slow drying boots years ago but since non-waterproof boots are not popular they are getting more difficult to find. The Keens I used for years changed last year so I'm scratching my head on what I'll replace them with.

Garlic
    Images

Making the shift from boots to running shoes may take more than one section hike. I remember needing over 1000 miles of the PCT to fully appreciate the benefits of running shoes, to stop carefully inspecting for sharp rocks in the way. Eventually I was able to do it without noticing. The first shakedown hike my feet were bruised and ankles were sore, but very gradually my ankles strengthened and my trail sense got honed in, maybe something like peripheral vision. Other fellow newbies that year on the PCT reported similar experiences.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    I am note sure what your footwear needs are, but I went with Altra LP because that's what everyone was doing. It can't be that bad if through hikers are using them right? I was impartial to it.. I don't love it, I didn't hate it. I loved the wide fit! I am a lover of Birkenstocks and around camp with the lassoes loosened it felt very similar to my favorite clogs.

Anyhow purely because I wanted to try something new, I pick up a pair of Speedgoats late last year... Oh My! They are glorious! I highly recommend Hokas. I over pronate (fallen arches) very badly. Speed goats offer just enough support, probably similar to your Keens. I think both companies focus on foot fit. Anyhow Ive recently switched out the shoes I use for fitness type walking, New Balance 860 for the Gaviota, again so much support AND cushion... I plan to do a 3 night "rails to trails" hike in near Dayton Ohio, 28 mile Twin Valley Creek Trail and plan to wear the Gaviota.

Both seem like great shoe companies! Glad you fond a shoe that works for you... it can be a struggle.
    If I recall, Karl "Speedgoat" Meltzer worked closely with Hoka on these so I guess I should give them a try. Typically I don't prefer super cushy shoes but maybe I should wear them on an actual trail sometime.

But the COLORS, whoa! I thought some of the Altra colors are the pinnacle of garish....

Last edited by cmoulder; 02-08-2022 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If I recall, Karl "Speedgoat" Meltzer worked closely with Hoka on these so I guess I should give them a try. Typically I don't prefer super cushy shoes but maybe I should wear them on an actual trail sometime.
    Shoes are all so personal. Because they came so highly recommended, I tried the Speedgoats and the Lone Peaks. The Speedgoats just didn't work for me at all. I did try a pair of Lone Peaks a few years ago. They were OK for around town, but I found the generous toe box didn't provide enough lateral support on uneven surfaces. Again, this was for my foot and a version from a few years ago. Newer models (any your feet) will be different. I ended up switching to Brooks Cascadia for trail runners. Those are working nicely for me. In winter I wear my Oboz Sawtooth (low-top, not waterproof) every day in the west MI snow (who says you need waterproof boots in the winter?) and save the Cascadias for the treadmill. Still undecided which I may wear for my upcoming Grand Canyon trip.

The shoes have to meet your foot and hiking style no matter the hype. I used four different shoe models on my AT thru hike: Merrill Moab’s, Altra’s, Solomon’s, and Obos (The only thing available in Rangeley to finish). Altra’s became my everyday shoes but I found they were to minimal for hiking. I tried the Altra Olympus with Vibrum soles and they were better and good for road and short section hikes. However, the next time I do any distance on the AT or similar Pinhoti, Foothills or Art Leobo Trail, I am sold on the Solomon’s. As always, it’s a personal choice and Hike Your Hike.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post

I wear a 13 wide and went from Altras to the Speedgoat 4. Unfortunately when they Speedgoat 5s came out they are slightly narrower than the 4s I loved. I'm now wearing the NB MoreTrail in their wide size but had to bump up a size to get more room in front of my toes.

Shoes/boots are very personal. I started trail running when I was in my 50s and I've bounced between the Hoka Speedgoat series and the Altras. I tend to like a cushioned ride for my longer runs (over 10 miles) so the Speedgoat 5s, Altra Olympus are my training shoes and I race in them since all my races are longer runs, half marathons or longer. I'm not trying to win, just finish so I'd rather have comfortable shoes than fast ones and blistering, rubbing or just jamming toes can be a real race killer on 50Ks and longer distances.

I still hike in boots though. I hike in Keen Voyageurs and have for years. I personally don't find the extra weight that big of a deal although my hiking days tend to be < 15 miles/day. Faster drying would be very good but I find the Keens will dry out fairly quick. Not as quick as a trail runner but they hold my microspikes better and on some of the rocky trails I take they just are more functional than a trail runner. Everyone has their thing but I don't think following what is in fashion with thru hikers is necessarily wise. Like anything, some things are determined by fads and trends, not by reality and the older I get, the less I care about what others are doing. I read and compare but I go based upon my own experience.

Altras take some getting used-to, especially with Achilles, calf, and arch issues. But once your body warms up to them, there's nothing more comfortable.

Still, they wear out in no time, after only about 500 miles - especially the outsoles. Most other shoes are going to save you money in the long run.

++ New Posts ++