WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Never ending; Tweaking my sleep system….

It never ends I don’t think…. Arrrgghhh. Just when I think its dialed in I try something else and totally changes my thinking.

I’ve always been a 2 pad guy. A foam and air pad. I really like the versatility, lunchtime naps, huge sit pad, gear explosion organizer, fire pit stoker, and backup if the air pad leaks. I side sleep so it seems like the extra thickness is welcome too.

Right now my set up is a 9oz foam yoga mat and a S2S Ether Light XT Insulated Womens Long (21.2oz). I don’t think I want to give up the two pad system but I want to trim some fat.
    As a side sleeper I struggled on a xtherm(Info for a base line). I thought I would go thicker; enter EL XT Womens, 4” thick!! It’s comfy. But heavy.
    I recently bought a new Exped foam pad that is 1.5” thick. (R2.2 16oz) If I fold it in half I would be 3”. I am going to give that a try as my only pad.
    But in the mean time I was looking at pads. There is a uninsulated (R1.2) Ether Light short (5’6”) 12.3oz! And still 4” thick!
    To good to be true??? Any suggestions?
    I also worry that a 1.5” foam and a 4” pad would lift me to high in my tent.

Heck out nemo tensor insulated sleeping pads.

I have tried a few different sleeping pad systems. Initially, I tried a single thermarest ridgerest, and while it provided sufficient insulation, it was uncomfortable; I barely slept.
    So I figured if I bought the short version, I could put the second one under my head and torso. Still too firm, I barely slept.
    The short one has been cut up into sit pads which I still use on hikes, while the full length one is now a sit-up pad.

Next I bought a Thermarest Prolite Plus. At 1.5" thick, it was way better than using the ccf pads - but I still tossed and turned. Also, I read at night to get to sleep and my elbows weren't supported by the narrow pad.

So next, I bought a Thermarest neoair x-lite. It is a bit of a drag having to inflate it (the previoius was self inflating) and I soon learned not to fully inflate it*, but I toss and turn far less and have had the best sleep yet on it. They are more noisy/ crinkly - but anyone in a shelter who tosses and turns all night makes noise. If people are sensitive to noise, and plan to sleep in a shelter, they use ear plugs - so I can't let the noise my air mattress makes deter me from using it if it allows me to sleep at night. While I'm primarily a back sleeper, when I shift onto my side, I don't hit bottom.
    *when I sit up, my butt does indeed hit bottom, but when laying on it with my entire body, I do not hit bottom in any sleep position.
    I ordered the wide version so my elbows are both supported and insulated as I read at night. Totally worth the extra few ounces to me. It fits snuggly inside my Tarptent Notch.

The last piece of sleep system I bought was an inflatable pillow by outdoor vitals. One of the best pieces of my sleep system. When on my back I lay it flat, but when I shift to my side, I turn it vertically to support my head better.

I also own a Nemo Switchback ccf pad. I have yet to take it on a trip, but the intent is to bring it on trips that are supposed to be below freezing temps for added insulation and safety (if my inflatable pad goes flat). While I don't think it would be "comfortable" by itself, it does seem to be the most comfortable ccf pad I've lied on.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I am on a similar upgrade path, except backwards, lol.

I guess I am on the hunt for the best combination of air pad + CCF and still be reasonable, OR most comfortable CCF only.

My next steps are going to be trying ONLY a doubled exped CCF. That makes it 3" thick and little longer than torso length for me. After that I think I am going to try combining a CCF (probably the Exped) with a Uberlite or S2S uninsulated Etherlite

Images

I too am still on this journey. Although heavy to some folks way of thinking, right now I really like my EXPED SYNMAT Hyperlite MW pad at 1 lb and 72"x25.6" and 2.8" thick. But, no second CCF pad, just a small set upon pad.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Heck out nemo tensor insulated sleeping pads.
    I just got one of these (also a side sleeper) but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I will also bring a pad for underneath. I'm using an automobile windshield sunscreen from the dollar store. It doesn't really add any Cuisinart Ng, but the silver mylar film may function as a heat reflective. It also works as a waterproof sir pad and tent vestibule floor. Who knows, the shiny surface could also function to signal SAR I am emergency.

++ New Posts ++