WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dennis Cove to Atkins info

It's that time of year again, planning for my spring section. Eyeballing Dennis Cove nobo to Atkins. Parking at "The Barn" restaurant and getting shuttle back to Dennis Cove. Around 125 mi. Can anyone give insight on the difficulty of this section? Would like to cover it in 7 full days. Background- I've hiked around 1100 mi of the trail so far, so I'm no novice, lol.

Pretty smooth trail bed, decently maintained, esp in TN. kinda a slog up from Watuga Lake NOBO. If you’re not a purist would take the Virginia Creeper out of Damascus up to Laurel Creek Bridge.

The most climbing will be the first 17 miles up to Vandeventer[sp] shelter. Another decent climb up to Whitetop. The rest is comparatively easy hiking.

The treadway in parts of Grayson Highlands State Park is rockier than any other place on the southern third of the AT. It caught me by surprise. I was pretty footsore after going through there. Of course, if in your previous 1100 miles of AT you have hiked Pennsylvania or the White Mountains then the rocks won't be so bad by comparison.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

use Boots Off hostel for your shuttle

Hum, 125 miles, 7 days = 17.85 MPD average. A little on the high side for the average section hiker. You'll probably have to do a lot of stealth camping to get that milage. Going up and over Pond Mountain the first day will be a pain, but it's probably worth starting at Denise cove and seeing the Laura falls and canyon. It will be kind of a long and hard first day. You need to get past the dam to get out of a no camping zone. At that point, might as well climb up to the Vandeventer shelter. (which has a nice view behind the shelter).

Taking the Creeper trail out of Damascus will save a lot of time and effort. Unless you like doing steep, pointless climbs to avoid a mile or two of sidewalk walking.

If you run short on time, you can get a taxi out of Marion to pick you up at the Partnership shelter and take you up to Atkins.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yep - that first day is going to be a tough one. If you can get to Damascus in 3 days then you can probably make it the rest of the way in 4 more days.

If you're not a purist, consider taking the VA Creeper Trail out of Damascus. It's much easier and more scenic than the AT and they rejoin after 12 miles or so.

If you can afford an extra day, I highly recommend slowing down and taking 2 days to go through the Grayson Highlands area. It's one of the most scenic parts of the southern AT.
    It's all good in the woods.

The Barn restaurant is closed. As of last year, the word was the closure was permanent.

The Relax Inn is a possibility, if it's open (it was last year).

Ram Bunny lives nearby and can provide shuttles and possibly parking. And I think there's a hostel nearby, but I don't know the name/owner.

I think there's a donation based church hostel in Atkins. skilletlick or something like that. I wonder if it is still open. Run by a very nice gentleman. You could also do a flip-flop; for example, leave you car in Damascus, take a shuttle to Dannis Cove then a shuttle back to Damascus from Atkins. Isn't Kinkora "hard core" hostel in Dennis cove? you could leave your car there. Many options. I think James (Bubba) is operating in the Atkins area. A very reliable shuttler.

The hostel near Atkins is Long Neck Lair, an alpaca farm. They're .25 miles from the trail. Stayed there twice last year. They shuttle as well. Nice folks. New bunkhouse.

Thanks for all the insight!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Last I heard, there were camping restrictions for bear activity around Watauga Lake and between Holston Mtn (Double Springs shelter to Backbone Trail). I am not seeing the restrictions on the ATC site. But still on the USFS site - https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chero...d=FSEPRD918022.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

According to the Tennessee Eastman Hiking & Canoeing Club (maintainers for that section), the ban was lifted sometime in January. http://tehcc.org/ I couldn't find other confirmation other than it's no longer on the ATC site, as you mentioned. I'm guessing it's legitimate.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Camping Closure for A.T. – Double Springs Shelter to Backbone Rock Trail

January 2022: This closure notice has been formally lifted by Cherokee National Forest.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default 321 to Damascus - bear closures

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking;[URL="tel:2292975"
    2292975[/URL]]Camping Closure for A.T. – Double Springs Shelter to Backbone Rock Trail

January 2022: This closure notice has been formally lifted by Cherokee National Forest.
    I’m seeing conflicting info online…..does anyone have updates on the availability (and wisdom) of camping between 321 and Damascus? I’ve been avoiding this section, but seems like its open again.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Images

You're right, the ban has been lifted. Just in time! As soon as it gets a little warmer, I'm headed out to do that section, too.

++ New Posts ++