WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default best place to leave a shuttle car at half way point of BMK?

If we hike the first, roughly half of BMK (excluding GSM) and want to leave shuttle car (not high clearance) at Ocoee River, I see that ThunderRock campground is closed until Feb 18, while Ocoee Whitewater Center appears to be closed due to covid more than seasonal? And father up at Hiwassee River, Hiwassee Outfitters does not say if, or when, they may be open.

So if they are all three closed, does any allow parking for a week, and if so, how safe. If not, where else near the trail between about nobo 90 to 120 miles would be an alternative parking spot. Are these three places equally OK to park after they open for the spring?

Edwin

You should still be able to park at thunderrock
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You can still park at Thunder Rock CG. It’s a developed CG with a host, showers, vehicle hookups, etc. so that stuff isn’t available until the Feb date you mentioned, but you can still leave a car. I’d recommend there over the other places you mentioned as it’s right on trail and right off the highway.

My partner can't go with me until the fall but I still want to hike the southern half of BMK to Ocoee River if anyone else wants to hike that section with me help me with not having to pay a shuttler. Can go between the last February in the last of March send me a message

++ New Posts ++