WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply north of Cuba NM

it looks like the only resupply before Chama is east on I64 to Tres Piedras. Is there any other way to cut down this 150 mile stretch? I dont want to carry 8 days of food.

Images

I can't help you with resupply, however I can make a food recommendation in Cuba, NM. Inside the Phillips 66 station at the north end of town is the Chaco Grill. It doesn't look like much, but the burritos are excellent, some of the best in NM. We stop there whenever we go to visit our kid in northern NM.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You can send yourself a package to Ghost Ranch just passed I84, Hitch North to Chama VIA I84 or East to Abiquiu via I84.

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    You can send yourself a package to Ghost Ranch just passed I84, Hitch North to Chama VIA I84 or East to Abiquiu via I84.
    Chama is well worth a visit.
    A full service supermarket and hardware store on the south edge of town. A very nice RV and tent camping campground on the north side of town. Clean showers and wi-fi.
    Enjoy!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Chama is well worth a visit.
    A full service supermarket and hardware store on the south edge of town. A very nice RV and tent camping campground on the north side of town. Clean showers and wi-fi.
    Enjoy!
    Wayne
    Agree! If you go into Ghost Ranch, then hit Chama just after the NM/CO border via Cumbres Pass. Hitch or take the train down.

Agree! If you go into Ghost Ranch, then hit Chama just after the NM/CO border via Cumbres Pass. Hitch or take the train down.
    And!
    For long section hikers: I just discovered that there is bus service from Santa Fe to Chama.
    So you could fly into Santa Fe and catch the bus to Chama. Or the reverse: Bus from Chama to Santa Fe and fly home.
    Wayne

Thanks, I was hoping not to hitch in twice. But Ghost Ranch will at least shave a couple of days off the big carry. Thanks!

Be aware, that last year, GHost Ranch was closed to hikers due to Covid. You should check if that is the case again this year before planning on it. As an alternative, there is bus service on the highway 84 with a pickup/drop off by Ghost Ranch, so you could go into Chama twice or another town if you want. You would still need to take the Ghost Ranch alternate to the highway or hitch down to that point from the official crossing. I heard some CDT hikers talking about using it last year. https://www.ncrtd.org/wp-content/upl...-Chama_DS1.pdf

++ New Posts ++