WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Best motels/hostels to stay in Franklin, NC?

I should be passing through in April. What is everyone's opinion on the best (thru-hiker friendly) places to stay in Franklin?

Which ever one has a room available when you get there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I stayed at the Comfort Inn, and I was very happy with it. It's a bit expensive. But it's within close walking distance of a supermarket. So that's my recommendation.

Didn't stay in Franklin, but the Lazy Hiker Brewing Co. had good food and a good selection of local brews if you are needing a calorie boost.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Images

Stayed at the Comfort Inn. Franklin is pretty thru-hiker friendly town in general. I would let the wind take you. You will know when you get there.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." J.R.R. Tolkien
    -=POSSUM=- Rollin..

Chica and Sunsets Hostel is run by, uh, Chica and Sunsets who are thru hikers themselves. They offer shuttle services as well and go out of their way to help out. Their hostel is within walking distance of downtown (about a mile, maybe a smidge more via the greenway) and is small, comfortable and quiet. I'm not affiliated with them but I'm a fan since my wife and I stayed there last month. I've also twice used them for shuttle service when I hiked the Bartram Trail.

As an aside, do visit the Lazy Hiker brewery if you like beer.

https://chicaandsunsets.com/

I stayed at Gooder Grove Hostel in Franklin. Not well run at the time (2016) but reasonably clean. They're within walking distance of downtown. I have no idea what the situation is like there today. If you're interested, maybe someone will post with more up to date information.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I stayed at the Budget in both Hiawasse and Franklin during my 2018 thru. I believe they were formerly owned by Ron Haven. By the time I used them he had sold them off to different owners. Quite an experience, let me tell you. The humidity was so high in those rooms the walls were sweating and bathroom floors were wet. It rained on me the whole first 2 weeks of the trail and I was just searching for a place to dry out....

The Budgets were no help in that regard. They're old, rusty and mildewed. If I were to go NOBO now, Id stay right there all over again. LOL. Something about those crummy moments makes the hike that much more memorable. Dont sweat the details, just immerse yourself in the experience.

That said, if you want to throw $100-135 cant beat the Comfort or HI Express...cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
    I stayed at the Budget in both Hiawasse and Franklin during my 2018 thru. I believe they were formerly owned by Ron Haven. The Budgets were no help in that regard. They're old, rusty and mildewed. If I were to go NOBO now, Id stay right there all over again. LOL. Something about those crummy moments makes the hike that much more memorable. Dont sweat the details, just immerse yourself in the experience.
    Haha. I prefer the least expensive and often more rustic options myself. I have an older awol guidebook I got from a friend that listed the Budget Inn. I called for more info and found that it changed hands some years ago. The owner mentioned that there was a hostel across the road owned by the previous owner you mentioned, Ron Haven, but when I looked it up I found that it (Baltimore Jack's Place) had recently been closed down.

I'll be sure to check out the other hostels mentioned. Thanks everyone.

Stayed at the Budget Inn (now called Hilltop Inn) in Franklin in July 2021 for a section hike from Unicoi to Winding Stair. Rooms were basic, dated bathroom (ie. pink tub), new flooring, floor slanted a bit if I remember right ... but room was clean and the AC worked (not an issue for April) .... about $75 a night... would stay again if hiking in area. Easy walk (<.5 mile) to Outdoor 76 outfitter and Lazy Hiker (highly recommended). Lazy Hiker had a food truck in July. Great trail town. Will need shuttle to get into town (about 10 miles).

I stayed at the sapphire inn this fall, hilltop was full. It’s reasonably priced and clean, short walk downtown. If you need a shuttle I highly recommend Bobby the Greek, he is very reliable and a great guy. He helped me find a room and knows the area.

As far as Shuttles go, in 2018 we hitched in easily from the trailhead. Stayed at the now closed Baltimore Jacks Hostel and Ron H drove a daily Town shuttle bus back to the trailhead. The bus had a regular schedule and was free, trying to help make this a great trail Town. Between the Outfitter, easy Resupply, the Two Breweries, Italian Fine Dining restaurant and pancake Breakfast at the Church; it was one of the best trail Town stops on my hike. Chica and Sunset bring a more platinum option now as well. Just hope that losing the hostel and age of the motels, doesn’t create issues for Franklin.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Go to the WB home page and download the "Hostels and Lodgings" listing.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
    The Budgets were no help in that regard. They're old, rusty and mildewed. If I were to go NOBO now, Id stay right there all over again. LOL. Something about those crummy moments makes the hike that much more memorable. Dont sweat the details, just immerse yourself in the experience.
    I've always wanted to get a shirt made saying "I Survived the Budget Inn - Franklin!". It was a great experience because it was a memorable experience. I couldn't even tell you the names or come within 6 months on the dates I've stayed in fancy hotels. But I can with that place! I was also sent across the street to an occupied room at Baltimore Jacks for a shower, and the hiker staying there was very gracious. When I got out of the shower I realized I forgot to bring a towel. There was a little white washcloth sitting on the sink....I made do.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Didn't stay in Franklin, but the Lazy Hiker Brewing Co. had good food and a good selection of local brews if you are needing a calorie boost.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Absolutely agree with this!

Heard in 2021 that Chica & Sunsets was nice. I stayed at Baltimore Jacks but I think Ron's moved on from the motel and hostel business. I didn't hear a lot of bad hostel feedback on the whole trail but one of the consistently negative ones was Gooder Grove. Sounded like there was an employee who gave a creepy/uncomfortable vibe.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't take anyone's word where to stay. Just pick a damned spot and go rest and meet new people. Any stories you hear about past stays are gone; they are in the past. Today that good or bad place might be wrong or suitable for you.

++ New Posts ++