WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Any Experience With the Packa?

Hi Whiteblazers,

I am thinking about getting a Packa for rain protection, but am wondering if anyone else on Whiteblaze has any experience with this rain gear that they can share. The combination of pack cover and raincoat looks ideal, but I am wondering about durability, waterproofing, and whether the bottom of the Packa gets in the way while hiking.

I have been sectioning the AT for about fifteen years, generally hiking for a week each Spring or Summer, and have used Frog Toggs jackets (which aren’t very durable), non-breathable jackets (which leave me soaking in sweat), and nothing (which leaves me rain soaked but not sweaty).

This year, I am hiking the last 680 miles of the trail in one shot, and I think the Packa might be a good piece of gear to have. I’d appreciate any feedback about other hikers’ experience with this product.

Thanks.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I purchased after my 2018 Thru Hike and Love it. Never hike without it, even if I just use it as a pack cover. Here is a Video when I first unboxed it. https://youtu.be/2xRx-og2MY8
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I love mine. Got it several years ago. Very durable and love the huge pit vents.

I have had one since 2017. Love it, Mine does have a few small rips from bushwacking but I just put a small piece of ducktape on the rip and go on. Also like the huge pit vents,

I picked one up probably 4 years ago and really have enjoyed using it. I tend to overheat pretty easily so having the large pit zips has been great for shedding warm air without exposing myself to the elements. The only concern I have is when I'm wearing it without a pack on, I worry about the billowing material catching or snagging on a branch or something else. It hasn't happened so far but I still think about it. Certainly not a deal breaker.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - For what it's worth, I also picked up their rain chaps and love them for their simplicity, ability to vent and overall rain protection.

Ive had a couple of Packas over the years and can tell you nothing ventilates as well as a Packa, even a poncho because the Packa unzips from the front. If you lower the zipper half way or so the air blossoms the coat out as you walk along.

You’ll still be damp/wet but the air circulates around you very well. That’s another advantage of having your pack under and inside the jacket. That said I have not used it in cold weather conditions.

I also recommend that you order the large size as you want as much girth and length possible to aid in air circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWIW - My experience with Packas is they have similar durability characteristics to Frogg Togs. I seem to see these used mostly in the summer months. Most of my longer distance hiking is during colder weather when retaining warmth is important so I typically use a rain jacket and pants. I have seen a lot of people with Packa's who seem to like them, I found them to be annoying for the most part, keeping the lower part of the garment from blowing open and defeating the purpose of the rain protection and requiring it be removed to get into the pack regardless of conditions.

I would say they are certainly cheap enough to try out and see if it works for you. If you are heading into terrain where daytime temperatures will struggle to reach 50 degrees you may want more durable protection.

I used one in the fall of 2019 between DCG and Fontana Dam and never quite made up my mind about it.

The one draw back in my opinion was that I had to take it off in order to access my pack though, in real world application, it didn't seem to matter as it either wasn't raining or there was a shelter near by. If I had to take it off in warmer weather it wouldn't have mattered because I would have already been damp. In colder weather it may have caused issues.

I liked it's versatility a great deal. It was super long and had many different configurations which allowed me to quickly open or close it for ventilation while walking. In that regards it was fantastic.

As with anything, there are pros and cons. I'd try one and see what you think. At the worst, you'll have if available for trips when it would be ideal.

After several years of happily using my Packa, I notice that the seams were looking a little cracked.

I took a picture and emailed it to the guy (Edward Hinnant) who invented and sells them. I asked if I needed to reseal the seams or something.

Instead, he sent me a brand new one!

I love the way the Packa is made. The pit zips, as another poster mentioned, are a godsend. The packa fits my pack well, even when it's stuffed. But I don't have large items hanging outside (like a folding pad). I don't know how it would do with that.

The flap in the back keeps you dry when you sit down somewhere wet. And you can ventilate the zipper from top or bottom.

And, I do also bring a raincoat with me. because if it's raining and I need to set up, I want to leave the Packa on the pack. But I don't want to get soaked. So I put on the raincoat and leave the Packa to keep my stuff dry...

++ New Posts ++