WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Durston XMid

Default Durston XMid

Anyone else here involved in the feeding frenzy for an xmid this week? After much delay due to "disruptions in the supply chain", a limited number of XMid (version w) tents went on sale. Half were released on Mon and half today. I joined the Dan Durston sage cult in order to get the inside scoop on how to get one. As predicted they sold out in seconds. On Monday I was shut out despite furious clicking. Today, after much practice and clicking exercises, I got through and expect delivery sometime in Feb. Once it arrives I'll have an old TT Notch to sell.

Well you've bought a very nice tent. I carried it last year on a 600 mile section of the PCT. Highly recommended.

Default Durston XMid

You got very lucky...they sold out in minutes. I will buy one once they get a normal supply chain rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Well you've bought a very nice tent. I carried it last year on a 600 mile section of the PCT. Highly recommended.
    Looking forward to it. This newest batch has been slightly redesigned. Roomier inside.

I used the tent on a thru-hike of the Arizona Trail this past fall. Great tent. You might want to take a look at the stuff sack. If your tent gets wet, it's hard to get in the sack. I got caught in snow (in October!) north of Flagstaff. I had to empty my Ursack and stuff the tent in there and attach it to the outside of my pack. With all the snow and ice on the tent, I couldn't get it into its stuff sack.

I'm heading for a LASH of the PCT this year and the XMid will be going along.

Resizer_16341450823763.jpg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Congrats on scoring one, Odd Man Out, username does not check out

Similar story here, I tried on Monday, failed, and felt anxious all week until I was able to snag one yesterday. I went with a 1p.

So, it looks like I'll be taking the 5 year-old silnylon OG Lunar Solo out on two more trips before she retires to the "loaner bin". The end of an era. Really looking forward to starting a new double-wall era.

I was able to snag one on Monday the 10th. The original version that I have is very good but the improvements on V2 will make it a very in-demand tent for the foreseeable future.

Default Durston XMid

The dyneema, single wall Pro version went on presale today for $639 or $649 with stakes.

It has arrived. Plan on a side-by side comparison at some point. Anyone else get theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    It has arrived. Plan on a side-by side comparison at some point. Anyone else get theirs?
    I paid for expedited shipping since I am going to the Grand Canyon on nba couple weeks. I couldn't risk it not arriving in time. Weather has been pretty crappy so I only had it set up one. The old Notch has been passed on to owner #3.

I paid for expedited shipping since I am going to the Grand Canyon on nba couple weeks. I couldn't risk it not arriving in time. Weather has been pretty crappy so I only had it set up one. The old Notch has been passed on to owner #3.

Here's the set up

IMG_20220320_124200936.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Here's the set up

IMG_20220320_124200936.jpg
    I found with my XMid that it stood up better to wind, rain and snow if I staked out the lines on the end of the tent. Funny story. I was at camp in Zion NP with another hiker who had an XMid. I staked out my ends he did not. The wind picked up at night and pulled his stakes out of the ground. The tent ended up on top of him. My tent was fine.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Got mine on Sunday and set it up yesterday, I'm super happy with it and excited to use it. I was surprised how easy it was to set up and get a good, tight pitch the first time. I think it'll feel like a significant upgrade of my silnylon Lunar Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Yeah, my Notch is basically retired since I got the the original X-Mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Got mine on Sunday and set it up yesterday, I'm super happy with it and excited to use it. I was surprised how easy it was to set up and get a good, tight pitch the first time. I think it'll feel like a significant upgrade of my silnylon Lunar Solo.
    Glad you are enjoying it. Took my original version out for, possibly, the final time last weekend.

++ New Posts ++