WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jetboil Stash with Alcohol Stove

​I got a Jetboil Stash for Christmas. I have a hard time spending that much $ on a pot and stove, but when Santa is paying, then what the heck.

For a while now I have wanted a lighter, smaller pot than my Olicamp XTS, but there was no good option with a heat exchanger which lets me integrate the stand and windscreen for an efficient, simple, and powerful alcohol system with my eCHS stoves.

There is the UL Sterno Inferno pot, but it is too small for me to cook in. When the Stash came out this year, I figured it should be ideal (800 mL and lighter than the XTS). It comes with with a gas burner I will use when necessary, but I wanted to adapt it for alcohol.

The results are in and it works like a charm. I boiled 2 cups of water in 3 min 30 sec. The pot and lid weigh 145 g. The stove 9 g. The screen/stand 11 g. I use an insulated heat reflective disk as a base (reads 0 g on my scale) for a total system weight of 165 g / 5.8 oz.

IMG_20211230_004640651.jpg

IMG_20211230_004451568.jpg

Nice combo! Alcohol and HX pots are an ideal match.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nice combo! Alcohol and HX pots are an ideal match.
    Yes, but you need a center-burning stove and a pot stand to keep the pot above the stove. I tried it with a Super Cat and it was a disaster. The alcohol fumes coming out of the jets condensed on the cold heat exchanger fins before igniting so the whole bottom of the pot was engulfed in flames.

Clarification: The Super Cat fail reported above was done years ago with the Olicamp XTS; not the new Stash.

Journal Entries

I have successfully used a tealight candle holder as a alchy stove for a jetboil pot. It does help if the jetboil pot can be slightly elevated over the tealight but it's not required. I forget the boil times but it does work and seems pretty efficient for a alchy stove.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Cool! I might put that on the list for birthday Santa. For now, I'm using a Trangia with the Sterno Inferno, and I'm pretty happy with it. The Trangia is heavier than some other options, but I've found that I save so much fuel with it (because I can snuff it out and save the unburnt alcohol rather than watching it burn off) that it's lighter in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Cool! I might put that on the list for birthday Santa. For now, I'm using a Trangia with the Sterno Inferno, and I'm pretty happy with it. The Trangia is heavier than some other options, but I've found that I save so much fuel with it (because I can snuff it out and save the unburnt alcohol rather than watching it burn off) that it's lighter in the long run.
    I snuff and recover for the same reason. FWIW, I emailed Jetboil a while back asking if they would ever sell the Stash pot all ne for people who want to pair it with a stove they already own (alcohol or gas). They said yes at some point in the future.

I use a little 30ml measuring cup for fuel. A couple of simple boil tests determine how much is needed for a particular setup. Takes a bit less or more depending on ambient conditions, water temp, etc, but I end up with very little fuel waste.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I use a little 30ml measuring cup for fuel. A couple of simple boil tests determine how much is needed for a particular setup. Takes a bit less or more depending on ambient conditions, water temp, etc, but I end up with very little fuel waste.Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I did the same, but basement testing doesn't mimic real world outdoors conditions, so sometimes it wouldn't be enough fuel, sometimes too much. A little extra after burn isn't a big deal, but if it's not enough, you have to start over. The ability to "snuff & save" means no waste. For an overnight hike, I can just fill up the Trangia and not even carry a fuel bottle.

:banana

I did the same, but basement testing doesn't mimic real world outdoors conditions, so sometimes it wouldn't be enough fuel, sometimes too much. A little extra after burn isn't a big deal, but if it's not enough, you have to start over. The ability to "snuff & save" means no waste. For an overnight hike, I can just fill up the Trangia and not even carry a fuel bottle.
    I do the "snuff and save" in my Starlyte XL3 all the time.It's the perfect stove for people like me as it's mostly idiot proof.........

I have an old Starlyte somewhere from many years ago. If I can find it I might try it with the Stash pot. Much lower power than the eCHS, but super easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The SOL with 61dTM84mghL._AC_SL1500_.jpg works really well.
    I've used the Toaks Siphon quite a bit the last few years but lately it has developed a strange problem. The little jet orifices became clogged with a white deposit of some sort, and when I clean them out with a steel wire they become clogged again within 2 or 3 burns.

Any idea how to cure this?

I tested a bit with a Heet-Everclear mix, but am back to using Klean-Strip fuel exclusively.

Toaks_clogged.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-31-2021 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have an old Starlyte somewhere from many years ago. If I can find it I might try it with the Stash pot. Much lower power than the eCHS, but super easy to use.
    After the problem with the Siphon (see above) I am back to using the 8g Groove stove. This video shows it being made with a typical 12oz soda can, but for a small alcohol setup is much better to use a small Starbucks or Red Bull can.

Groove_Stove.jpg

I've been tempted to buy a Trangia just for its old-school brass badass-edness but my inner gram weenie revolts over the 4oz weight. I have some entire stove setups—including stove, windscreen, pot, lid, spoon and cup—that weigh only slightly more than that!

This Esbit setup weighs 4.4oz total:

Esbit_UL_setup_01_SMALL.jpg

I've been tempted to buy a Trangia just for its old-school brass badass-edness but my inner gram weenie revolts over the 4oz weight. I have some entire stove setups—including stove, windscreen, pot, lid, spoon and cup—that weigh only slightly more than that!
    Yeah, I find myself revolting sometimes, too.

Images

It's possible that lime is clogging up the holes. Soak stove in vinegar to unclog. Not sure how much water contained in everclear 10 percent??? I believe the water is last remaining when stove goes out. Condenses at the holes when it evaporates.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It's possible that lime is clogging up the holes. Soak stove in vinegar to unclog. Not sure how much water contained in everclear 10 percent??? I believe the water is last remaining when stove goes out. Condenses at the holes when it evaporates.
    Hmm... thanks! — never thought about lime! I have some vinegar so I'll try that... should be able to see it bubbling a bit if it's calcium. I was using the 190 Everclear so there's not that much water but you never know.

Another thing I do is throw a paper or wood match into the fuel well to light it, so maybe that has something to do with it. Some sort of adverse build-up after a lot of use.

190 proof is 95% ethanol, 5% water. But I would be surprised if there was much calcium in it. But using some acid to de-scale wouldn't hurt. Using some HCl ( hydrochloric/muriatic acid) would be better. Just be careful and rinse with distilled water when done. You could dry it with heat.

Well I soaked it in vinegar and it's almost like new! I didn't see any bubbles but the white crud dissolved.

I'm going back to burning only Klean-strip fuel, using the Everclear/Heet with the Groove stove until it's all gone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++