WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Backpacking Pics of 2021

2021 was a productive year for backpacking as I had the opportunity to pull 7 trips for a total of 144 days. I hope we can all gear up for 2022 by starting a long trip in January.

All trip pics can be found here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2021-Trips-209-

My first trip of 2021 starts at Bald River Falls into Bald River Gorge wilderness in TN.

A cold CS on Bald River with my Hilleberg tent.

Pretty Bald River trail.

Entering Upper Bald River wilderness with my mandatory Felco pruners.

Along with my Kahtoola microspikes needed for climbing up Brookshire Creek trail to Sled Runner Gap.

I end up meeting Patman on State Line Ridge in a butt cold Hazel Gap with 10F windchills eating into our face flesh.

I do and I don't envy you Tipi....not a fan of hiking in the snow because of the additional effort involved, but I love the idea of the backpacking adventure for a gross of days! Here's to a happy 2022 and satisfying the wanderlust!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

My second trip is in Feb/March into Citico/Slickrock wilderness where I camp in Naked Ground Gap and meet Navy Seal Chadd Wright (on left) leading a group up the Nutbuster trail.

Near the top of Bob Bald I meet Rob Bush with his big Dana Astralplane pack. We end up seeing each other thruout the year.

March brings out alot of backpackers to Bob Bald---this is John Quillen's crew.

Hanging out with John Quillen, mountaineer (climbed Broad Peak and Mt Everest among others).

I get on the Rocky Flats trail in Citico wilderness and pose by the old chimney.

March is the month the Cranbrook school from Michigan comes out for their 11 day wilderness trip (52nd annual event).

I head down South Fork Creek and watch Randy Taylor crossing with his pack.

My third trip happens in May with Little Mitten dropping me off in Citico wilderness at Jeffrey Hell trail.

As I'm backpacking down Brush Mt trail and doing trailwork---toughest trail in Citico---I run into two Tellico district Rangers---Tally and Gray Buckles.

Tis the season for Ramps so I cook up brown rice with ramps.

Patman finds me near Yellowhammer Gap in NC and we stand in Big Fat Gap preparing to climb up Hangover Mt.

Nearing the top of Hangover Mt I turn back and look at Fodderstack Ridge which separates Citico from Slickrock.

On Bob Bald I run into Rob Bush again with his friend. He's using a Hilleberg tent too.

A rainy cold day finds me dropping off Bob Bald in my rain jacket.

I get on the BMT and hike over Whiggs Meadow at 5,000 feet.

I enter Bald River wilderness and get lost on Henderson Top trail and end up on Panther Branch trail by its footbridge over Tellico River. Long story.

My fourth trip happens in June in the Bald River backcountry where I run into these two BMT thruhikers below Sled Runner Gap on State Line Ridge.

As I backpack along State Line Ridge I run into Adolf Hissler who requires I prod him off the trail.

My new summer 14 oz down bag/quilt---WM Everlite.

Cascade waterfall on Bald River.

How to cross a big river---strap the boots on the pack under the pack lid.

I make it to Warrior's Passage trail and take a flea dip in Wildcat Creek.

My trip ends on Tellico River where I go for a bronners bath.

My fifth trip is in August and begins on Hooper Bald in NC into the Snowbird Creek wilderness where Little Mitten and her Mom drop me off.

All trips hopefully start with a map---this is Snowbird Creek.

Hanging out at Middle Falls on Snowbird Creek.

The beautiful footbridge over Snowbird Creek.

Day 10 first backpackers I see on the trip.

I connect Snowbird wilderness with Citico wilderness and reach Bob Bald where Patman shows up with a surprise watermelon.

Rob Bush and Patman and I backpack off Bob Bald to Beech Gap and beyond.

Well, that didn't work. Anyone know how to reach the admin so he can delete my previous post?

I'll try again with a downloaded image. What is the hanging bag in this picture?

Hanging Bag.jpg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Rob Bush uses his One Wheel to connect trailheads on the road to his car.

My trip ends in Hurricane Ida on Flats Mt in TN.

My sixth trip starts in October by meeting Rob Bush in Citico wilderness on Fodderstack Ridge.

Camping with Rob and his wife in Barrel Gap during a rain zero day.

Rob's daughter and wife prepare to backpack out.

Rob and I prepare to backpack the tough Brush Mt trail to South Fork Creek.

Rob crosses South Fork Creek.

I leave SF Creek and head up North Fork trail to Hangover Mt where I meet John Quillen.

While on Hangover Mt I run into Marshall McClung---expert on the area.

The seventh and last trip was recently posted here. Two BMT section hikers standing in Naked Ground Gap.

Solo woman backpacker on Bob Bald.

Uncle Fungus says Happy New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Well, that didn't work. Anyone know how to reach the admin so he can delete my previous post?

I'll try again with a downloaded image. What is the hanging bag in this picture?

Hanging Bag.jpg
    Yes, please delete your first post (easy to do if a donating member). The blue bag is his water bag with a filter on the bottom for easy drinking water access.

PS Thanks for taking care of that nightmare text!!

Walter,

Your attitude is the most inspiring one I've ever met as fas as it comes to hiking.

If I had to chose my personal favorite among your pics, I would pick #1 (Bald River Falls)

I think you've found the" fountain of youth ".

++ New Posts ++