WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Won the Lottery (for a Grand Canyon Permit)

I really lucked out on my first attempt at a back country permit for the Grand Canyon. Below are some details. Any additional tips appreciated.

In order to maximize your success at getting a permit, conventional wisdom says:

...to go in the off season. But I couldn't. My work schedule could only accommodate a trip at the end of April/beginning of May. These are about the most difficult months to get a permit.

...to be flexible with your dates. Again, I couldn't be. I only had a 4 day window of opportunity for when I could start (end of April/beginning f May).

... to be flexible with your itinerary. Here I was as flexible as possible, but I really wanted at least 3 nights (I just didn't see flying across country for a two night trip) but didn't want more than 4 (short of time, food weight begins to be a problem - I'm already worried my body won't handle the 5000 ft elevation days). Plus I wanted to do a Hermit Loop and have at least one night by the Colorado River. I'm not sure if or when I would ever get this chance again so I am inclined to pack in as much as possible in this trip.

... to get your permit to the office between the 20th and the last day of the month to be considered on the first day of the month, 4 months before your hike starts. This I could do. I dropped the permit in the mail on the 19th.

As I said, I got lucky. Mine must have been one of the first permits pulled as I got a response on Dec 2 and a terrific itinerary (at least I think it is):

Day 1: Hike down the S. Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Campground. I've reserved supper and breakfast at Phantom Ranch.

Day 2: Hike to Indian Garden Campground. Not a long hike or climb so I hope to have some time to explore the area around the river first - a few miles up the N. Kaibab trail (the Box) and/or Clear Creek Trail. Other suggestions? Is the river trail between the bridges worth taking up to IG rather than the direct route?

Day 3: Tonto Trail to Monument Creek Campground. A long dry day, but relatively flat. Could be hot depending on the weather. On May 1 it should be somewhere between 40 and 100 deg, right? After I get to the campground I might try the out and back to Granite Rapids if time, weather, and body permits. The side trip to Plateau Point adds a couple miles but might be worth it?

Day 4: Tonto Trail to Hermit Creek Campground. A very short day. Assuming my body hasn't completely failed me, I should have time to do the out and back trip to Hermit Rapids. I hear the hike down Hermit Creek and Hermit Beach are quite nice.

Day 5: Hike out via Hermit Trail. Will need to carry lots of water. At least the food bag should be mostly empty. How reliable in Santa Maria Spring? It would help to be able to get water 2/3 of the way up.

Images

OMO, on your day at Indian Gardens, take the trail from the back of the campground to Plateau Point.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    OMO, on your day at Indian Gardens, take the trail from the back of the campground to Plateau Point.
    Yes. I see that on the map.

I did the Arizona Trail SOBO this fall (finished 11/27). All through hikers know the secret to getting a permit for the Grand Canyon. Walk up to the back country office and request one. At a really busy time, you might have to wait a day in the campground set aside for through hikers, but that is about it. I reached the back country office on 10/2 (the North Rim park was crowded) and immediately got a permit for the Bright Angel Campground for the next day. They offered me a permit for Cottonwood and Bright Angel campgrounds the day I applied, but I wanted to look around the north rim before going into the Canyon.

By the way, if you hike rim to rim and don't camp in the Canyon, you don't need a permit.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Unless you're used to doing LOTS of downhill hiking, be prepared for your calf muscles to be sore after that hike down to Bright Angel Campground.
    Sure, it's "only" 7 miles... not far for a single day. But you are talking about a descent of nearly 5,000'. That's a lot of down steps.
    I remember the bus driver that drove us to the S. Kaibab trailhead told everyone one on the bus they were going to need some aspirin.

I hiked S. Kaibab in late March. Snowed at the rim the night before our hike, temperatures in the canyon were great. Didn't need to carry anywhere near as much water as the park service recommends.
    But you're going during warmer weather. Temperatures will be hotter for you, and I guess you know there's no water source til you get to the bottom... but there are composting privies at Cedar Ridge and Tipoff.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I did the Arizona Trail SOBO this fall (finished 11/27). All through hikers know the secret to getting a permit for the Grand Canyon...By the way, if you hike rim to rim and don't camp in the Canyon, you don't need a permit.
    I know about the walk up permit process, but according to their web page these are limited to 2 night corridor permits and may take a day or two to get. Works well for an AZ trail thru hikers, but I wasn't interested in these limitations.

Can't really do a R2R on Apr 29 since the NR is still closed. Not to mention it would probably kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Unless you're used to doing LOTS of downhill hiking, be prepared for your calf muscles to be sore after that hike down to Bright Angel Campground....Temperatures will be hotter for you, and I guess you know there's no water source til you get to the bottom.
    No I'm not used to 5K ft elevation loss/gain hikes. I am training as much as I can in MI in the winter. I am concerned, but not trying is not an option and at age 62, waiting didn't seem to be a good idea either. I think the rangers gave me a great itinerary. Day 2 is shorter with less elevation ( to IG). If I get up on day 3 and don't feel I can make it Monument and up Hermit, I can always bail and exit by BA Trail. Likewise day 4 is very easy (Monument to Hermit Creek) so I can take a day "off" if necessary to rest up for the climb out.

I know it can be hot and days 1 and 3 are long dry hikes, but May 1 isn't exactly mid summer. The average high/low for Phantom Ranch is 87/58 that week. That doesn't seem too bad, especially if one gets an early start. Maybe I'll drink some of that radioactive water to get superpowers like Spiderman.

Congratulations, Odd Man Out, for scoring the incredibly difficult gets of Indian Garden and Bright Angel Campground! I saw your post almost a week ago and joined the forum so that I could offer you, if you like, advice for hiking the GC garnered over 22 years and 2500 miles. Two bits right up front: I get a sense you're approaching this almost with awe. GOOD IDEA. The Grand Canyon demands respect. If you don't offer it, it will be taken from you, and maybe not politely! Also, while you are correct that the temperature spread in early May can be between 40 and 100, it won't be that in one place, or between Rim and River on the same day--20 degree spread is the rule. Best guess normally would be low of upper 40s on the Rim, high 70-75; low Inner Canyon 55-60, high 80-95, depending on that week's weather. I can lead you just about mile by mile over the itinerary you've chosen, which, while over less-demanding trail than other hikes, is not a beginner hike because of length and duration. Shouldn't be a problem for an adequately prepared experienced hiker. PS. I can also if not prevent, at least alleviate, the "cement calves" HooKooDooKu refers to… PM me!

Thanks. I am an experience hiker, but not in the GC. I spent a few night at the GC Lodge on the NR about 12 years ago, but no one in my family was keen on a hike ambitious enough to get below the rim. I've been researching my own hike since then. I've been on the road visiting family for Christmas. When I get home in a couple days I will start a workout regime to get the n condition. That gives me about 17 weeks.

++ New Posts ++