WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wayah to Springer - planning/questions

Hi all....I'm planning my yearly section hike and would like to run it by everyone for advice/tips/info. This year I'm going to do the beginning...plan is to do a SOBO hike from Wayah Crest (115.2) to Springer/Amicalola Falls State Park. I have it planned out thus far like this:

Fri: drive to Springer and spend night....anyone know any good places to stay? According to AWOL the Lodge or the Len Foote Hike Inn...anyone stayed at either of these? Also, can I park my car at the State Park for the week? Do they allow extended parking?

Sat: shuttle to Wayah Crest, hike 115.2->102.2, stay at Long Branch Shelter
    Sun: 102.2-> 85.9, sleep Standing Indian Shelter
    Mon: 85.9-> 73.7, Plumorchard Gap shelter
    Tues: 73.7->58.2, Tray Mtn Shelter
    Weds: 58.2->42.8, Low Gap Shelter
    Thurs: 42.8 -> 27.7, Woods Hole Shelter
    Fri: 27.7 -> 8.1 (the long day! hiking legs and a light pack by this time of the trip!), Hawk Mountain Shelter
    Sat: 8.1->approach trail-> back to car -> home
    Sun: built in extra day just in case

*I'm planning to go in May, so by that time the bubble should be past this area, yes?

Thoughts?
    - Anyone know of any shuttles?
    - how is the terrain? I see the profile, but the book doesn't always give you a sense of how strenuous a hike is. Any thoughts from those who have done this?
    - weather? for this area in early May
    - any specific rules/regulations (permits, etc)?
    - any other advice or general tips for this section?

Thanks all in advance....any info would be helpful. I'm already excited and can't wait to get out there.

Michael

len foote is a good long 5-6 miles in from Amicalola. Just stay at the Lodge, it's very nice. Bubble will be gone but you will see plenty of folks on this section, especially on weekends. Some of these shelters are nicer than others...I would take some form of shelter just in case they are too full, too nasty, or you just want to stop someplace along the way. This is a great section but don't discount that there are some tough parts. Enjoy!

I've stayed at the Lodge several times. Convenient. There is a parking area for long term parking, months if you want. You will need reservations, do them early. It will still be quite busy in May, especially early May.

Woods hole shelter is also aways off the trail and could still be in the bear canister required zone in May. I would arrange the schedule to stay at Neel gap (where you can resupply for the next couple of days, reducing your initial food load), so you can get to the tent site past the bear canister required area.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Woods Hole shelter is a bit off trail...but there is a Bear Box, so if you decide to stay there you don't need to worry about the canister requirement.

Thanks all...appreciate the tips...how is Blood Mtn shelter as opposed to Woods Hole....also which shelters in the section have or do not have bear boxes/poles/cables?

I'm looking at getting a bear canister...never used one before and this may sound silly, but what do you do with them at night when you sleep...as in storing them, where to put them? I know you don't hang them...everything just says put them 100 yds away from camp.....so what, you just sit them on the ground somewhere?

Blood Mountain is a concrete floor, no bunks. I've been there numerous times but never seen anyone stay there. It's usually smothered in day hikers also. I would skip it, woods hole is a good shelter. I like staying there and it's not that far off trail.

Images

Yes, the lodge is very nice, and do make reservations now.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

For a shuttle I used Donald Ballard "The Further Shuttle" for portions of GA and NC in 2018 and 2019. Not sure if Covid had an impact on their business...I hope not, they were very reliable.
    Enjoy your hike!

A number might help...it's (772) 321-0905.

I have always used Ron Brown in GA for shuttles. Top Notch!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

For your Friday night, if Amicalola lodge doesn't work out, there are several good motels in the Dawsonville/Dahlonega area. You want to meet your shuttle driver at Amicalola SP on Saturday morning at the long term parking for your shuttle, but where you lay your head has options.
    Your schedule is adventurous. Tray to Low has some really long climbs/descents
    Low to Woods is not to be sneezed at. A problem with the shelter on Blood is that there isn't any water (to speak of) on the southbound ascent of Blood. Water up really good at Neels gap, there is good water at Slaughter once you come down Blood.
    Woods to Hawk is a nice stretch but don't underestimate it. Get moving at the crack of dawn because you have a long day. There are some ups and downs that can get you.
    Hawk to Amicalola is still a 16 mile day. If you truly have an extra day and things get nudged a little, spending the last night on Springer is a good symbolic way to end the week. There is the shelter and a loop with 12 or so good campsites. There are also more good camping spots on Springer. There is something about sitting next to the plaque watching the Sun set.
    May is a good month. It could be chilly, it could be wet, it could be warm. Who knows? But it is good hiking weather.

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    For your Friday night, if Amicalola lodge doesn't work out, there are several good motels in the Dawsonville/Dahlonega area. You want to meet your shuttle driver at Amicalola SP on Saturday morning at the long term parking for your shuttle, but where you lay your head has options.
    Your schedule is adventurous. Tray to Low has some really long climbs/descents
    Low to Woods is not to be sneezed at. A problem with the shelter on Blood is that there isn't any water (to speak of) on the southbound ascent of Blood. Water up really good at Neels gap, there is good water at Slaughter once you come down Blood.
    Woods to Hawk is a nice stretch but don't underestimate it. Get moving at the crack of dawn because you have a long day. There are some ups and downs that can get you.
    Hawk to Amicalola is still a 16 mile day. If you truly have an extra day and things get nudged a little, spending the last night on Springer is a good symbolic way to end the week. There is the shelter and a loop with 12 or so good campsites. There are also more good camping spots on Springer. There is something about sitting next to the plaque watching the Sun set.
    May is a good month. It could be chilly, it could be wet, it could be warm. Who knows? But it is good hiking weather.
    Thanks for all of that...I really like your idea of staying on Springer...with a nice sunset I'm hoping for a nice sunrise as well, one of my favorite joys of backpacking is morning coffee watching the sunrise, and there's particularly something about the very last morning on a trip. Going to amend my trip if logistically it works out and take your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by appstate_mj View Post
    Thanks for all of that...I really like your idea of staying on Springer...with a nice sunset I'm hoping for a nice sunrise as well, one of my favorite joys of backpacking is morning coffee watching the sunrise, and there's particularly something about the very last morning on a trip. Going to amend my trip if logistically it works out and take your suggestion.
    If you get to Springer and the weather is nasty, you can go on to the shelter at the bottom of the hill, might not be as exposed.

++ New Posts ++