WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grand Canyon Escalante Route

Has anybody here ever done this route? I'm trying to plan a trip for next Spring for me and my daughter and I'm a bit confused on the permitting required to do the route. Would appreciate any first hand experience on getting the right paperwork in. Thanks!
    It is what it is.

You will need to get a backcountry permit. I just got mine for a 4 night Hermit Loop hike in late April. You already missed the earliest chance to apply for trips starting in April. Later trips are going to be brutally hot. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get permits for this loop but I would apply right away. If starting in May, submit your application after the 20th but before the 1st for earliest possible consideration. In the permit request you designate the usage areas where you will camp each night. This document from the NPS has info on which use areas lie on this route. Go to the GC backcountry permit page for more details.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...ante_Route.pdf

Once you have a trip planned, submit you permit request. On the form you can specify when and where you want to hike. But you have the option of indicating flexible dates and itineraries. Doing this improves your chances of success. It's possible these use area get so little use, getting a permit may not be a problem. Call the backcountry office and they can answer that question. The rangers who issue the permits know more than we do, so they will know you are requesting an Escalante trip and will give you something appropriate.

The first document linked below is the map of the use areas. The next document (pg 32-33) lists the most common backcountry itineraries for 2020. It looks like the most common Escalante route has you spending the first night at the bottom of the Tanner Trail (use area BB9). The next night is somewhere in use area BC9 (see document linked in my previous post for options). The third night was at the bottom of the New Hance Trail (BE9). One day 4 you hike out New Hance. There were 38 permits total for this trip, compared to over 3000 in this list that start in the corridor campgrounds (CBG, CIG, or CCG)! The next most popular option was a 4 night trip: BB9-BC9-BD9-BE9 (20 permits). About equal to this (19 permits) was BB9-BC9-BD9-BF9. This option uses the Grandview Trail to exit the canyon via Horseshoe Mesa (BF9). Another 4-night options (10 permits) had night 3 in BC9 instead of BD9: BB9-BC9-BC9-BE9. It seems most people must be doing this look counter clockwise (i.e. downstream). Other options are possible, but they are not listed among the 33 most common permits. These Use Areas (except Horseshoe Mesa) are designated as Primitive which means at-large camping is allowed (although due to lack of water, you probably will camp close to the river).

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...useAreaMap.pdf
    https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...Statistics.pdf

Disclaimer: I actually haven't done this hike. But I have been planning a GC trip for years and just went through the permitting process for my Hermit Look Hike in April so I had all this info at my fingertips.

Did the Escalante back in the early 90's. Fun route, you'll enjoy it. We went down the Tanner and came out Bright Angel. Remember it being somewhat technical though; needed ropes in one section of it. Kept getting off route due to all the animal trails too.

Odd Man Out....some great info, thank you so much! That post on use areas/itineraries is especially helpful. I let those dates sneak up on me...I had no idea I should have already applied. I don't remember applying so early for my rim2rim hike three years ago. Keeping my fingers crossed the lower demand here will allow a permit to come through. I'd also like to tack the Hopi Salt Trail on to the beginning to see the Little CO if it's running blue. I am hearing conflicting information on whether this trail is open or not. We'll see.
    It is what it is.

Yes, you are right about lower demand. We ended up doing Tanner because it was all that was available in late Spring a few years ago. Then there was the problem of no water on Tanner (except the Colorado, which was full of sediment). We looked into Escalante and it looks like no big problems, a few tricky spots is all. Lots of people have done it.

++ New Posts ++