WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Time for an update, after 4 sessions of PT and lot of homework, I am now crutch free. The soft tissues are working but now its tome to get my balance and improving my proprioception which was probably a root cause for my ankle roll. Look like I will be balancing on one foot a lot.

The big issue is that some of my hardware is limiting my ability to use anything but low cut shoes as anything high puts pressure on the area under the skin where the hardware is. Three weeks to my next doctor visit.
    Thanks for the update....so glad you are on the mend. Keep up the good work, stay warm and eat lots of veggy soup and b&m brown bread with raisins

I "graduated" from PT today. I still have plenty of exercises to do at home but no more clinic sessions unless I need them. It has been 3 months since the break. I have full range of motion but that doesnt mean things works well. I have X-rays next week and then need to talk partial hardware removal ASAP.

I "graduated" from PT today. I still have plenty of exercises to do at home but no more clinic sessions unless I need them. It has been 3 months since the break. I have full range of motion but that doesnt mean things works well. I have X-rays next week and then need to talk partial hardware removal ASAP.
    Happy to hear you are progressing, and hoping that continues to get you back to full strength.

Great news!
    AT Nobo 2013; NPT-2014-2019; NCT-PA miles 0- and CNY miles 0-53

That's awesomeness ,keep up the exercises and stretches.
    You'll back bagging peaks before you know it!

I got signed off by the ortho doc this week. The bones are healed and I no longer need to see him. I am definitely not 100% or near it but I did do a walk in the woods at my woodlot and made my previous daily walk around the neighborhood. So now its my job to keep up home PT, work on a balance exercise and push it. I will see the doc again in six months to discuss hardware removal as two screws are still giving me issues.

I did my first hike April 2nd. So just under 5 months from the accident. The hike was very long but its still early spring conditions in whites. I got to use my microspikes on some icy spots and plenty of wet leaves around. I was feeling it the next day but then again I have not hiked since November. It going to be a long process. I am using poles up and down which limits my speed (I always use them going up hill but normally just carry them on the flat and level and heading down gradual slopes. I had to catch myself a few times from doing that.

The ankle is still stiff when starting out and it loosens up after a few minutes. Post hike, it does swell up.

Glad to hear you were able to get back out and go for a hike peakbagger!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Hell yeah, good for you!! Gotta be a good feeling getting back.
    Do you elevate and ice as post hike routine for now?

I got signed off by the ortho doc this week. The bones are healed and I no longer need to see him. I am definitely not 100% or near it but I did do a walk in the woods at my woodlot and made my previous daily walk around the neighborhood. So now its my job to keep up home PT, work on a balance exercise and push it. I will see the doc again in six months to discuss hardware removal as two screws are still giving me issues.
    .....and are the two screws giving you problems? If not , then why remove?

The hardware is definitely an ongoing issue. The two screws a bit less than the plate and its associated screws which still prevents the use of an ankle brace. But given the week to week progress I have had, I still have a couple of months before its decision time.

Journal Entries

Rereading through much of this thread because I now have personal experience.

Tuesday morning around 7 am I stepped off the kitchen porch steps on the way to the chickenhouse to do my chores. That first step was a doozy. Not more than a couple inches in elevation change, but there's a slick spot and it had been drizzling all night. I went down, my right foot at a 90° angle to my leg and a bony bulge where it shouldn't be. Tested a tiny bit of weight, nope. Crawled on hands and knees back up a couple steps onto the porch, beginning to feel nauseous. Laid down on my back to breathe and gather my wits. Phone is in my pocket. I'm home, not on a mountain somewhere. I called my daughter, who lives in an apartment over the garage. "I need your help. I think I've broken my ankle. I'm on the kitchen porch." Making the call was exhausting somehow. She soon showed up with her husband and together they finished the chores and got me to an orthopedic clinic in Knoxville. X-rays confirmed 3 breaks: the inside and back of the tibia, and another fracture of the fibula about 2-3" below the knee. Got it wrapped up and stabilized.
    Next day back for a CT scan. Then Thursday they did surgery. I don't know how many screws or plates I have. The surgeon said they were putting in "ropes" on the lower fibula where ligaments had been torn. Not sure I understood all that. He said all the hardware is permanent.
    Prescribed oxycodone and tylenol for pain and aspirin to prevent clotting. Pain meds were helpful Friday, but I think I'm done with them, at least with the oxy. Not a fan of how it makes me feel.
    Several weeks ahead of me with my leg elevated, no driving or walking. Family helping me with pretty much everything. I have a knee scooter to get around in the house. I borrowed crutches, which I'll have to use outdoors - whenever that happens. This is not fun, not fun at all.

My story is not nearly so dramatic as Peakbaggers - for which I'm extremely grateful!! Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Illabelle, your experience is humbling. One day things are fine and now you have 3 fractures. Makes me appreciative of today.

Hope your recovery is speedy.

Wow, I didnt want to encourage anybody. My guess is that you damaged the stretchy cord that connects the Tibia to the Fibula. I missed out on that damage. I think the doc mentioned that would add 4 weeks to recovery. I did hike all summer an got in several substantial ones. Where I am still lacking is bushwhacking, previously I did not have to think about foot placement, it just happened. Now I need to think about The PT doc told me a lot of things the surgeon didn't and one thing he said is the soft tissue damage will take far longer to heal up than the bones. I need to take a few Advil pre hike and keep taking them during the hike. The next day I feel it but its getting less noticeable. I am looking forward to having a good snowpack as the footing is lot better. BTW I have rolled the ankle a few times.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Illabelle, your experience is humbling. One day things are fine and now you have 3 fractures. Makes me appreciative of today.
    Hope your recovery is speedy.
    Thank you Recalc. You are so right, live today because no one knows what tomorrow may bring. I'm very fortunate that I was able to get help quickly.

Journal Entries

Wow, I didnt want to encourage anybody. My guess is that you damaged the stretchy cord that connects the Tibia to the Fibula. I missed out on that damage. I think the doc mentioned that would add 4 weeks to recovery. I did hike all summer an got in several substantial ones. Where I am still lacking is bushwhacking, previously I did not have to think about foot placement, it just happened. Now I need to think about The PT doc told me a lot of things the surgeon didn't and one thing he said is the soft tissue damage will take far longer to heal up than the bones. I need to take a few Advil pre hike and keep taking them during the hike. The next day I feel it but its getting less noticeable. I am looking forward to having a good snowpack as the footing is lot better. BTW I have rolled the ankle a few times.
    I imagine I'll be thinking about foot placement a LOT. I think fear will become an extra burden to carry every time we get out there. On the trail I use my poles constantly. Maybe if I start using them to walk around the homeplace, I'll feel more confident and safe.

Unbelievable how fast it happened. A split second and I am broken and immobile. Definitely damaged the ligaments between tibia and fibula. Surgeon said I "broke" them. When I questioned that, he said I tore them. I don't know if he stitched them back together, or if they have to regenerate from scratch. Will be asking some questions at my followup.

Wish I had the vigor and healing ability of youth.

Illabelle, so sorry to hear about your injuries. I broke my ankle in the Wildcat Range when I was 67, had surgery in NH, returned home to find a yard ravaged by Hurricane Irene, and began the recovery process. You will get through this. Just listen to your docs, and when you get to that point, follow the rehab protocols. As you heal, you will start to figure out workarounds for restarting your life as you knew it. And having family close by, as you do, will certainly help.

Regarding foot placement and balance, I still think about it, many years later. Not so much when I hike, but when I carry things, climb a ladder to clean gutters, garden, do yardwork. But it's now just in the background, not a fearful worry. And I do keep my cellphone in my pocket, just in case.

BTW, a Knee Crutch is very useful tool https://www.amazon.com/iWALK3-0-Hand...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I was able to go up and down stairs and even ran my snowblower with my knee crutch. The only downside is you have to take it off before sitting down.

Journal Entries

BTW, a Knee Crutch is very useful tool https://www.amazon.com/iWALK3-0-Hand...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I was able to go up and down stairs and even ran my snowblower with my knee crutch. The only downside is you have to take it off before sitting down.
    That's an interesting gadget! Maybe next time?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Illabelle, so sorry to hear about your injuries. I broke my ankle in the Wildcat Range when I was 67, had surgery in NH, returned home to find a yard ravaged by Hurricane Irene, and began the recovery process. You will get through this. Just listen to your docs, and when you get to that point, follow the rehab protocols. As you heal, you will start to figure out workarounds for restarting your life as you knew it. And having family close by, as you do, will certainly help.
    Regarding foot placement and balance, I still think about it, many years later. Not so much when I hike, but when I carry things, climb a ladder to clean gutters, garden, do yardwork. But it's now just in the background, not a fearful worry. And I do keep my cellphone in my pocket, just in case.
    Found your post from 2011:
    Revisiting this topic because I too fractured my ankle (tibia and fibula) a couple of months ago. Surgery left me with pins in the tibia and a plate holding the fibula together, but no pin across. Surgeon said there wasn't enough solid bone to pin into. Anyway, was in a cast for four weeks, then in a protective boot. I'm three weeks into PT and can put weight on the injured foot, but still need some help from the crutches. The doctor I'm seeing now (not the surgeon who operated) said I'd be fine swimming and gardening, but gave me one of those looks when I mentioned hiking. I know it'll take a long while, possibly a year or two, before I'm capable of anything more than a stroll in the park. If there's anyone else out there who has actually returned to backpacking after a serious fracture, I'd like to hear your stories. Just knowing others have lived to hike again would be very encouraging.
    I will have that discussion with my surgeon at the follow up. Healing isn't just being able to walk. It's restoration to pre-injury conditions. I understand that full restoration may not be possible for all people and all situations, but nobody has suggested to me that this won't be a fully recovery. I hope he doesn't try to tell me to stay home and enjoy my senior years. I saw a podiatrist for an unrelated issue a year or two ago. His motto: Movement is Medicine. I liked him very much. If I have a choice about it, I'll go back to him for a second opinion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++