WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for Colorado Trail Hiking Buddies, June-July 2021

Hi - Wondering if there's any interest in forming a loose-knit (but responsible) hiking group to thru hike the Colorado Trail next summer. I'd be looking at a 10 to 12 mile a day pace, and hoping to split up trail support, which can be a little more challenging than the AT due to remoteness of many of the access locations. Looking perhaps for older hikers more interested in enjoying the experience rather than racing to meet time limitations. Anyone? : )

I think you mean 2022. We need Doc Brown's time machine for June/July 2021.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Yes, rhjanes is right, of course, summer of 2022!

I'm interested, just retired and 62, completed the HST in 2019, was on it again in '20, I used to live in Colorado, and I can tell you this is a very challenging trail, expect 5-6 weeks to complete, 6 would b better. I would strongly influence you to not do this if you don't like rain, hail and gauley. There is a great YouTube vid of a well known hiker hunkering next to a rock with her ZPacks umbrella to shield her from the hail above timberline, problem is, the hail passes thru like tissue paper shredding her umbrella. The views are incredible, especially the West Colliegate Loop vice the East, but you would be above timberline more catching the afternoon storms and more altitude challanges-trade off. I backpackedd on the AT n the Smokies twice in November, despite it 'ups and downs' there is no altitude challenge. Then air is a game changer.

Hi No Match -- I live near Rocky Mountain National Park, so understand the weather and other challenges expected on the Colorado Trail. For all the reasons you mentioned, I'd love to be a part of a group of hikers with less emphasis on ambitious daily mileage goals and more emphasis on enjoying the trail as it unfolds. If you're serious, let's keep in touch and start planning in the new year! Thanks for posting and sharing your experience. (And enjoy your retirement!)

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

For the past several months i've been considering taking a shot at the CT next summer so your post caught my eye. I already have the latest edition of The Colorado Trail Book. And I've been perusing PMags website (https://pmags.com/tag/colorado-tip). I'm 67, retired 5 years and my hiking highlights include hiking over 1000 miles of the AT, all but 21 miles (the Duluth city limits) of the SHT and 12 days in the mountains of northern New Mexico at the Philmont Scout Ranch. So, yes, I'm interested. 10-12 miles per day is right up my alley. Let's keep in touch.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Good to "meet" you, RadioFreq. Stay tuned!

Hi,

I'm hoping to hike the CT next year as well.

I'm younger, in my thirties, and will be under time constraints so I'd like to do more miles. On the other hand I'll be coming from sea level in NH and have an old leg injury so doing more might not be an option. Planning on seeing how it goes.

Either way thought I'd say Hi. I'm going solo and it'd be nice to know some other people on the trail.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I might be able to hike next year.
    I would be concerned about show levels that early in the season. What is the snow situation on the West Collegiate and San Juan Mountains that early?
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What is the snow situation on the West Collegiate and San Juan Mountains that early?
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Watched a 2019 thru hiker on YouTube going over some passes on West Collegiate at the end of July that were still a little sketchy.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

The Colorado Trail has been on my to do list for some time. I was thinking I'd do it in 2023 or 2024. I may have to rethink my plans. I have hiked the AT twice, the Long Trail, and the recently the Benton Mackaye Trail. The last time I was out west was 40 years ago when I hiked the Maroon Bells. The altitude kicked my butt.
    More walking, less talking.

Tailwinder id be interested! Please more details please..

Hi, I’m also interested. I as well am looking to take my time and enjoy the whole aspect of the trail. Nature, the hike, the town’s, etc… unfortunately my start date is scheduled. I will be flying into Denver July 6th. Starting the 7th. At this time I have no commitments until September 5th which is 8 weeks. Plenty of time as I hike around 10-14 miles per day. Looking forward to hearing back from ya! UncleDan

Is it acceptable to hike this supported or even just slacked?

Just go solo! You will meet people on trail….enjoy….I did it as a thru last September with my pup….amazing 23 days can’t wait to do it again….it’s a close second behind the winds in WY……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just go solo! You will meet people on trail….enjoy….I did it as a thru last September with my pup….amazing 23 days can’t wait to do it again….it’s a close second behind the winds in WY……

Interesting.
    How difficult and or expensive is it to get a shuttle (the big M-B stretched vans) from the Denver Airport to Frisco and get on the bus to Leadville?
    I really have no interest in Denver, etc.
    Rental cars have gotten obscenely expensive. Looking for alternatives for the CDT in Colorado or Wyoming.
    Thanks!

Interesting.
    How difficult and or expensive is it to get a shuttle (the big M-B stretched vans) from the Denver Airport to Frisco and get on the bus to Leadville?
    Rental cars have gotten obscenely expensive. Looking for alternatives for the CDT in Colorado or Wyoming.
    Thanks!
    My cousin did CW with me last year Salida to lil past TL…free bus from LV to copper to Frisco Breckenridge…I believe Breckenridge to DIA was $80?

Thank you!

Interesting.
    Thanks!
    I took a bus from Frisco back to Denver when I decided to end my hike at Breck. Thankfully, there's a trail connecting the two towns. The Denver bus stop is near the train station. I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to get from the airport to the train station.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWNIE View Post
    Is it acceptable to hike this supported or even just slacked?
    There might be bits and pieces where that can be done, but overall, not practical due to the distances involved.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++