WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Looking for Hiking Pants with Mesh Liner/Webbing for support

I thru-hiked the AT with pants that had a mesh liner for support (like found in Swimming Trunks). I loved them because they fit well and provided support so I didn't need underwear. It was one less item I had to carry.

When I did my thru-hike, it seemed almost all hiking pants had the mesh liner. Now, it's a rarity. Websites selling pants don't list the fact that they have or don't have a mesh liner.

When I thru-hiked the PCT I used other pants and had to deal with underwear the entire trip. It was OK, but I prefer none (sorry, commando isn't an option for me. I need "support" LOL).

I'm planning a thru-hike of the CDT and really want those pants! I've been scrounging websites all over, even submitting the question on some when possible, but haven't had any luck.

If anyone knows of any on the market, please let me know! I want hiking pants with good pockets, zippered leggings, and a mesh liner (or webbing) for support. People get confused sometimes when I say "mesh liner" because they don't understand. It's just like swim trunks! (In fact, I may resort to hiking with swim trunks, haha.)

Thanks,

Flatfoot
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

If you aren't able to find that Goldilocks combination, maybe you could DIY it?

What I mean is, if you know of (or have) a pair of hiking pants that you like in every other respect, would it be possible for you to find the mesh "liner" that you're thinking about (i.e., cannibalized from some swim trunks) and have them sewn into the pants?

I'm not male, so I don't know if this idea provides the support you're needing, and I myself can only barely manage to sew on a button, much less modify any pair of pants, so maybe this idea isn't all that easy, but if you can seek out a friend or local business that can help with sewing & alterations, maybe you could end up with what you're looking for.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have just what you're looking for: https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-pfg-...3971_color=160

I've used them for years - they're designed for fishing, but work great for hiking: Quick dry, zip off legs, nothing irritating on the waistband, got your interior mesh brief and zip off legs.

@TwoSpirits Thanks for the suggestion. I've sewn my own hammock tarp and dry bags, I should be able to tackle mesh, but it seems like a huge trial and error thing I'd like to avoid if I can simply find the pants that come with mesh LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I have just what you're looking for: https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-pfg-...3971_color=160
    Thanks a ton! Good price too. I'll order one now

Flatfoot
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

I have been using these for Columbia fly fishing pants for years. They https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-pfg-...s-1543971.html are fast dry and quite durable https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-pfg-...s-1543971.html. I buy them in pairs. I take two pairs of shorts and one set of pant legs. The material does not wear out, the stitching eventually does. The down side if it does not have a zipper. If you want one with a zipper LL bean usually had them in season. I find that the ones with zippers are not as comfortable and the mesh wears out quicker.

I just wear running shorts and wind pants.

++ New Posts ++