WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Calling Joyce Kilmer Locals

Hi Again,

I've been slowly exploring Joyce Kilmer / Citico for the past few winters after a mishap a few years ago (the same mistake most make on the loop hike that Backpacker Magazine published....).

Anyway, I'm getting close to mastering the area, but there are a few trails I haven't explored. Questions:

1) Does "Deep Creek" trail (46) still exist all the way to its junction near the Hangover? I recently hike the Haoe Lead trail and saw the intersection with the "Deep Creek CONNECTOR" trail, which presumably hits deep creek and almost certainly heads east back toward Tapoco. But does the true Deep Creek also ascend up toward Hangover?

2) Jenkins Meadow. The Haoe trail joins up on the ridge, but I forgot to scout campsites. Are there any sites near the junctions of these 2 trails. Water available?

3) Not Joyce Kilmer.... but the Wauchecha Bald trail. I found the old sign post at the beginning of the trail but I'm not sure if it still connects all the way to the AT. The Forest Service says it has not been maintained. Anyone hike it?

Last time I tried to hike Deep Creek was about a yr and a half ago and the blow downs were so bad I turned around. Hiked it several times back in the 90's and remember it to be a nice hike. There were a couple LNT sites near water about half way between the top and Maple Springs. Wild fire burned portions of Deep Creek and Naked Ground back in 2016(?) so I'm not sure what kind of state they're in now. I'm looking to do section 2 of the Benton MacKaye in April (Ocoee to Fontana) and planning a zero at Joyce Kilmer and maybe try Deep Creek/Jenkins/Naked Ground loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
    Last time I tried to hike Deep Creek was about a yr and a half ago and the blow downs were so bad I turned around. Hiked it several times back in the 90's and remember it to be a nice hike. There were a couple LNT sites near water about half way between the top and Maple Springs. Wild fire burned portions of Deep Creek and Naked Ground back in 2016(?) so I'm not sure what kind of state they're in now. I'm looking to do section 2 of the Benton MacKaye in April (Ocoee to Fontana) and planning a zero at Joyce Kilmer and maybe try Deep Creek/Jenkins/Naked Ground loop.
    Thanks! The Deep Creek/Jenkins/NG is exactly the loop I'm interested in (combined with a longer loop over to Bob Bald and back down into the main parking area). I'll be going back in February so I might try it anyway. Last year the blowdowns on #42 were pretty bad, but as long as I was planning short days, it wasn't an issue. Were you by chance hiking in summer or winter? I guess I'm more worried about getting totally lost on a nonexistent trail than dealing with overgrowth and blowdown (and, assuming there is even a trace of a trail, deep winter should be the best time to see it).

Backpacked Deep Creek from the Hangover to the “connector” down to Haoe this past April, starting at the top. It was in pretty good shape, including at the top. I think it had been recently worked because I’d heard reports of it being in rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by madfarmer View Post
    But does the true Deep Creek also ascend up toward Hangover?
    Yea, it junctions Hangover Lead in Saddle Tree Gap.

++ New Posts ++