WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Clearing out some gear and passing it along to my daughter. I remembered a small company from the 70’s and maybe the 80’s.
    Camp 7, Boulder, CO.
    My oldest and still favorite down vest from Camp 7. Down is still impeccable and the most loft of my down outerwear. Hand warmer cargo pockets are long gone on today’s market.
    I also have a synthetic sleeping bag from Camp 7. Good as new. Going to my daughter.
    A 1970s vintage stuff sack from Trailwise in Berkeley. Tough as nails.
    They just don’t make things like they used to.
    Wayne

This is a great thread, especially this time of year when every message in society is to buy, buy, buy, and buy some more. Some things really are durable. I have nothing on my list for outdoor gear at the moment.

Images

Fancee Feest alcohol stove.
    Military Down sleeping bag.
    Wool pullover

My aluminum spoon. I've yet to find a lighter weight one.
    And I sharpened one side of the handle so that I can cut cheese with it (and other things, but still carry the smallest swiss army knife and use the scissors the most on THAT)
    I use to find these aluminum spoons once in a while in Bangkok although haven't seen them in years now.
    I have given many of them to my hiker friends for Christmas presents from time to time.

I just threw out my old Zipp stove that I used on my '89 hikes of aprox 800 miles. Couldn't get the fan to work anymore.
    Still have a lot of my old gear from the old days but don't use a lot of it anymore.
    Lighter weight stuff is now out there.
    But I still do use my "Hummingbird" sleeping bag that I bought in '94 and have thru-hiked many trails with it.
    Doesn't keep me so warm anymore but I've been mostly hiking in SE Asia, so, no need for a warmer bag.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Classic Swiss Army knife from the mid 80's goes on every hiking/backbacking trip.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I still use a lot of things that I bought in the 1980's, including socks.

Yesterday I restored my 1982 Chouinard headlamp (Easter Seal Corp, Hartford). I also have a Hank Roberts Mini Mark, which still works great (with an adapter since the HR fuel canisters are extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Well, like OwenM above, I just remembered that I still have my official Cub Scout pocket knife. It’s been in my top chest drawer all these years.

My parents bought this for me when I first went in the Cubs back in 1953 when I was in second grade. Heck, the AT was only 16 years old back then.
    My dad still has that same model knife!
    He was born in 1946, so probably ~1953 for it, too.

SVEA 123 stove with Optimus tourist kit.

Bought a Groe Tex jacket, made by Lowe Alpine, back in the 80ties.
    After heavy use, the GoreTex delaminated and rubbed off, so now its just an old but nice windjacket.
    While cleaning up the loft recently I found a piece of Fjell Raven wax, unused, original price tag from 1987.
    So I gave it a try and rubbed the old wax onto the old jacket and applied a good jet of hot air over it.
    The experiment turned out to be half a success - the jacket became what you could call "water repellent".
    And it acquired a shabby-chic look that is pretty unique.
    But as it turned out during the last hike which ended in steady rain, the jacket is still far away from being water-proof, and will ever be.
    OK, 40yrs of heavy use was all it could bear, and I purchased a new one (Mammut Crater HS hooded).

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

My Svea 123r stove from 1980. Still love using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Basic Leatherman tool from 1992. I guess they call it the "Heritage model" now. ��

I wore it daily on my web belt under the cami blouse in USMC. Invaluable tool then and in hiking now. Heavy piece when counting grams but I use it often and it's a 30 yr good luck charm.

If you smile when you use it- it's worth it, right?

I have a Feathered Friends sleeping bag from 1995ish. I also have a pair of Pantagonia light-weight primary layer tops/bottoms that are still going strong from that era. I have less time on them simply because I got too fat to wear them for years and only now that I'm running regularly (and lost 35lbs)do I still wear them. I have one of the original ULA Catalyst packs too but that isn't as old.

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    I also have a pair of Pantagonia light-weight primary layer tops/bottoms that are still going strong from that era.
    This reminded me that I put up initial impressions of Patagonia Capilene, worn under a Marmot windshirt, on another site years ago. After 6 miles of walking at a fast pace, the inside of that windshirt was beaded with moisture, but I was dry.
    That was its second use, and the post was dated December 11, 2001.
    Still have and use both, for workwear and as a casual windbreaker, respectively.
    21 years, and that Capilene top is doubtless the most heavily used piece of clothing I own. Aside from a little damage suffered at my work, it is still good to go.

While "testing" baselayers nightly under fire retardant clothing for a couple of decades, I've tried around a dozen different brands(Patagonia prices are hard to swallow when buying 3-6 pieces at a time!), and have worn Capilene for hiking and backpacking almost exclusively ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    This reminded me that I put up initial impressions of Patagonia Capilene, worn under a Marmot windshirt, on another site years ago. After 6 miles of walking at a fast pace, the inside of that windshirt was beaded with moisture, but I was dry.
    That was its second use, and the post was dated December 11, 2001.
    Still have and use both, for workwear and as a casual windbreaker, respectively.
    21 years, and that Capilene top is doubtless the most heavily used piece of clothing I own. Aside from a little damage suffered at my work, it is still good to go.

While "testing" baselayers nightly under fire retardant clothing for a couple of decades, I've tried around a dozen different brands(Patagonia prices are hard to swallow when buying 3-6 pieces at a time!), and have worn Capilene for hiking and backpacking almost exclusively ever since.
    No doubt.... that base layer wears like iron. They looks as good as the day I bought them. I run in the bottoms more than I do the top as it is just light enough to take the edge off rain soaked cold 2-hour trail runs. I have other tops I like better but mainly due to fit.

My feet, from 1962

Images

My 1972 Camp Trails Lake Cruiser External Frame Backpack (In my gear coset)
    My 1976 Camillus ArmedForces Pocketknife - Still use daily
    My 1989-25d EMS Down Sleeping Bag - Still use in winter
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

46 years ago I took a Sierra cup to Philmont Scout ranch when I was 14. Since then,I have carried the same cup from Springer Mountain to Delaware Water Gap in three section hikes. With any luck,I plan to carry it up a mountain in Maine...

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    My feet, from 1962
    My first thought was "my legs" and I was wondering if anyone else would respond so. Mine date back to '58, but it's the mileage not the years.....so, so many miles (and so few of them hiking, alas.)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

anything Patagonia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++