WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

My old Sierra cup from the '70's. Back then, they were worn hanging from the belt from the curved handle. It was a badge, of sorts, for the cool hikers. I never found that comfortable, so it rode in my pack. It's a little tippy, but since it only holds 8 oz. of coffee, it's empty before I can think to set it down.

A Marmot Arete 40F, my first down bag. I don't know exactly how old it is, maybe 12-13yrs. Used it week before last.

Do knives count? For late fall and winter overnighters in places with designated campsites(TN State Parks) that often have had all their easily gathered firewood picked over, I'll take a fixed blade along with my saw for splitting wood when I know I want a fire.
    One that still sees use is a Blackjack #1-7 I bought in the late '80s.

MSR Whisperlite, Indestructible. Reliable. Rebuild-able. Heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    MSR Whisperlite, Indestructible. Reliable. Rebuild-able. Heavy.
    Oh, and since 1983

Images

The only original item I still take backpacking is my first aid kit from when I was in Boy Scouts 20 years ago. I've replaced everything inside but I still have the hard plastic box with my name and troop number written on it.

I still have a bunch of other gear from Boy Scouts but I only take it car camping now.
    It's all good in the woods.

Ah, Boy Scouts.
    For many decades I carried my old Boy Scouts knife on every adventure or hike resp.
    It had a wide and slim blade of stainless steel so it was perfect for slicing bread and spreading butter.
    Lost it on a mountaintop in Crete and while I'm still sorry for losing it, I would not carry it nowadays.
    https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date...m_Gebrauch.png

Boy Scout Knife/Fork/Spoon circa. 1964

Omigosh, y'all got me digging in the drawer with pocket knives that mostly belonged to my grandfather and great-grandfather.
    Think my "Boy Scout knife"(unofficial) was my first pocket knife when I was 4 or 5yrs old. I'm past 50, now.

20211125_100928.jpg

'Course it's been a loooong time since it was actually carried or used...

Minus the scales being different, that is the same knife I carried for years in the Army. It was officially called a demo knife. The pointed blade (awl) was for poking a hole in a block of C-4 to insert a blasting cap. It was made be Camillus IIRC came out in the 1940's. Brings back memories.
    Last edited by slowdive; 11-26-2021 at 10:53. Reason: spelling, left out word
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Images

It would have to be my poles, the oldest service sticker on them is from 2004 trail days. Leki makes good hiking sticks indeed.
    sooner or later there comes a time

Journal Entries

The oldest item I still have is a fleece sweater (Polarted) from Malden mills bought pre fire in the factory. That has served me as a makeshift blanker, a pillow, towel, saved my life in a nor'easter in Virginia, and kept bugs off my face. After over 30 years it's still going strong. AND it's one with a full length zipper down the front that still works!!!

Images

I have a pair of Lexi trekking poles, WM bag, thermarest, and Osprey 60 pack from 05

My compass is from 1986 or 87. My Leiki’s from 2001.

A lot of the gear I purchased back in 2012 when I got back into hiking is still part of my kit including:

ULA Circuit backpack
    Montbel Down Parka
    Jetfoil Sol Aluminum
    zPacks Hexamid Twin (although it has a lot of repairs)
    Black Diamon Carbon Cork poles
    ExOfficio Briefs (yes, it's ridiculous but it is still fine after eight years and many hundred washes)

Haven't done much backpacking over the past couple years but I'd still go out with all this gear (except the tent) if doing a thru hike, all of which has been used for thousands of miles.

It hangs in. my Virginia home, awaiting my return from Colorado...my heavy forest green poncho which has worked for numerous needs. Can't reveal who made it until I am FINALLY home after 3 years--bought in Gatlinburg, 1973. See you out there, I hope.

Way back in the early 70s all of my gear was made either in the US or Europe. Nothing from Asia.
    SVEA 123 stove, SIGG cookit & fuel bottle, Swedish backpacker short air mattress, Fabiano and Pivetta boots, REI down bag, a Jensen Backpack Made by Hippies in Victor Idaho.
    I still have the Jensen pack, SVEA stove, SIGG cooking gear and fuel bottles and the Pivetta boots.
    What I don’t have are several pairs of expensive, glued together boots from Asolo and Garmont that literally fell apart.
    I am optimistic that the newer HanWag boots won’t do the same.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Default Whats the oldest piece of gear/clothes you still use?

Well, like OwenM above, I just remembered that I still have my official Cub Scout pocket knife. It’s been in my top chest drawer all these years.

My parents bought this for me when I first went in the Cubs back in 1953 when I was in second grade. Heck, the AT was only 16 years old back then.

That’s a Cub Scout logo on the side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deacon; 12-01-2021 at 20:52.

MSR GK stove and an aluminum pack frame, both purchased in the late 70's. The stove goes car camping now (too heavy...), but I still use the much modified pack frame today.

Oh snap!
    I carry one of my dad’s Old Timer Pocket knives. Age unknown.
    Wayne

Images

I still use my old blue Columbia long sleeve nylon fishing shirt. I don't know when I bought it, but I have photos of myself wearing it in the Grand Canyon in 2006. It's starting to get a little worn, but still works fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++