WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Anyone with Sleep Apnea using Inspire Sleep Apnea device?

Since this device is implanted under the skin, similar to a pace maker, Does this interfere with toting a backpack for hiking.
    Wondering if the placement of the device, and back pack straps cause a problem?

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and been using a Cpap since 2008. This new way to treat/manage Sleep apnea seems great. No machine, no mask, travels easy, easy to use without power or big batteries to buy (expensive) and carry.
    This is sort of a survey.

Images

Does this interfere with toting a backpack for hiking.
    Your doctor could be the best source of that information.

Quote Originally Posted by valeflyfish47 View Post
    Since this device is implanted under the skin, similar to a pace maker, Does this interfere with toting a backpack for hiking.

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and been using a Cpap since 2008. This new way to treat/manage Sleep apnea seems great. No machine, no mask, travels easy, easy to use without power or big batteries to buy (expensive) and carry.
    This is sort of a survey.

I was wondering the same thing but, it clearly looked like the placement of the implant would be an issue so I just gave up. Lol

Maybe someone can bring us hope.

Images

Does this interfere with toting a backpack for hiking.
    The photo of device locations looks like a backpack will interfere...sorry

(quote)
    The implantation is done under general anesthesia using
    three small incisions under the chin, below the collar bone and along the side of the chest below the ribs. About four weeks after the implantation, the device will be activated followed by a post-operative sleep study to assure proper stimulation.

Images

I have sleep apnea and had never heard of it. I’ll ask my doctor about it!

Images

Thumbs up

I am inspired by this thread. I have been at the mercy of a cpcp for more than three years now. My trip to trail days last year was without it however i managed. The kicker is my cpcp is on the risk of cancer recall list and i am on a long list of getting a replacement machine, but this sounds to be a better route amd worth investigating. Thanks for the thread.
    sooner or later there comes a time

I am recently diagnosed as well and currently using a Cpap. Trying to figure out the logistics of bringing it along as I don’t want to be totally without it. I have considered Inspire but do not trust it. Aside from the pack strap issue, this is a fairly new device and I wonder about malfunctions. Not a lot of info out there that I can find. I would rather go without than be in the woods with a device inside my body that is stimulating my breathing incorrectly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I am recently diagnosed as well and currently using a Cpap. Trying to figure out the logistics of bringing it along as I don’t want to be totally without it. I have considered Inspire but do not trust it. Aside from the pack strap issue, this is a fairly new device and I wonder about malfunctions. Not a lot of info out there that I can find. I would rather go without than be in the woods with a device inside my body that is stimulating my breathing incorrectly.
    You have a very good point. It’s like buying a new car that’s just came out. I want all the bugs out of it before I mess with it.

I remembered a couple of things later. In Feb I met an aspiring thruhiker who had a pacemaker and was most definitely wearing a backpack. If he could do it, there must be a way for those who choose Inspire.
    Also, I recall a thread in the health forum re: packstraps and pacemakers. One person suggested using those furry padded sleeves made for car seatbelts on the packstraps to protect the device. Might that work for Inspire for those who choose it?
    Thanks, 2Hobbits-that’s probably why I don’t buy new cars😆

Images

One person suggested using those furry padded sleeves made for car seatbelts on the packstraps to protect the device. Might that work for Inspire for those who choose it?
    That should work well.

++ New Posts ++