WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT Thru in Boots like Danner Mtn Lights or Salomons

Anyone hike an entire through hike of say the PCT or CDT or even AT or some other long trail in something like Danner Mtn Lights or Salomon boots, etc., If you did the complete through hike in them please tell me what it was like.

Please keep your options RE trail runners or hiking shoes to yourself. I've read all that and used them myself. Don't care to read opinions on these types of shoes.

Include a pic of your boots if you are able.

Thanks.

-Wavey

I have to wonder if peoples problems with their boots is really due to: poor/wrong fit, poor break-in, ineffective sock system, low level of physical (and feet) fitness starting out, no abilities or lack of ability or no care for feet. It seems when they are on the verge of fitness they “go for the shoe”.

To me all these hiker claims this or that shoe(shoe meaning any non-boot footwear be it Ultras or hiking shoe etc., etc. is “the best” is ridiculous right off the bat. I base this on their own findings. It is their admission that during their thru hike they had to replace these “best shoes” several times. Well wait a minute-I thought you said they were the best? The fact they had to replace them more than once tells me these shoes are not the best. Answer lies somewhere else.

Also poor lacing technique can produce or contribute to problems with feet.

I surrender! Will join the “lightfoot brigade”. Settled on Danner 2630s. If you don’t know what they are look up this hiking shoe on Amazon or Youtube.

Don't know anything about Danner boots other than reading a few people rave about them online --- just wanted to point out that there's currently a 20% sale on the danner.com website. I have some heavy Asolo boots I use for winter day hikes. normally I use trail runners.

I would rather swap out my trail runners whenever needed then to try to find some heavy duty boot that's going to last a thru hike. Honestly I think anyone trying to thru hike in 1 single pair of shoes is not only kidding themselves but hurting themselves in the process. No matter how heavy duty a boot is, the part underneath your foot is going to wear and start to loose comfort by 500 miles or so. Especially considering the AT, no way your hiking from GA and your boots still feel good when you get to the Whites, never mind through them.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by Wavey View Post
    I surrender! Will join the “lightfoot brigade”. Settled on Danner 2630s. If you don’t know what they are look up this hiking shoe on Amazon or Youtube.
    Couldn't find 2630. Found 2650... is that it?

You didn't get any responses previously because there are so few people still hiking in the big waffle stompers. Even people like Chris Townsend transitioned away from heavy hiking boots a good while back.

I use both. Boots and mountain running shoes.
    For backpacking in Colorado and Wyoming, The La Sportiva Ultra Raptors Mountain Runner’s with Dr. Sholll’s Runners Insoles are the best for my feet. I buy them 2 sizes larger than my street shoes. The company labels the shoes wrong. My street shoes are 8 1/2 and the Ultra Raptors are 10 1/2. No Gore Tex on my feet. Period!
    My HanWag Yukon boots are size 10 with the same Rinners insoles.
    No pain. No blisters.
    After watching a lot of thru hike videos, I am convinced that many people wear their shoes WAY too many miles. And complain about sore feet. DUH!
    Buy them big and trade out often.
    Wayne

While I have not thru hiked,I have walked from Springer Mountain to Delaware Water Gap so far in Keen mid high boots. They were not new when I started,and wore the first pair out around Harper's Ferry. Second pair looking a little tough after Pennsylvania,so will probably replace before we continue north. I think they would make it to the end,but not willing to risk it. I have poor arches,nearly flat feet,so I want the support of a solid shoe. I don't know much about trail runners,but I know I saw a lot of people tending blisters and taping feet at shelters. I had no problems like that,so boots worked for me.

Thanks for the feedback and data. As i said i have joined the lightweight brigade re footwear.

I settled on a very good quality hiking shoe-Danner 2650. The sole offers good protection n grip. Shoe is comfortable n clearly made for the hiker. Ill be using these come April ‘23 on the CDT.

Trail runners-my conclusion is they are not made for hiking. And they are so lightweight it is a sham to market these for hikers. The thought of such an important piece of the hikers equipment being so inferior in quality to only give perhaps 500 miles is unacceptable.

All concerned have expressed notions of the importance of our feet in hiking and so of course fo what works for you. But dumping hood money on a ptoduct made to “trail run” on the weekend is not a good option for a long-distance hiker. IMHO. ��

I would be surprised if you make it >500 miles with any shoe/boot. I got about 300 miles on a pair of Garmont hiking shoes before the soles started falling apart. IMG_0214.JPG. I went through a total of 5 pairs of shoes during my thruhike in 2008.

Default CDT Thru in Boots like Danner Mtn Lights or Salomons

Quote Originally Posted by Wavey View Post

… Trail runners-my conclusion is they are not made for hiking….
    What you mean is, Trail Runner are not made for you.
    My conclusion is that runners are a God-send for me. My Altras are the best fitting shoe to fit my wide feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the input. We will see on the miles. However, you sit a pair of Danner 2650s beside a pair of say Ultras and compare the two and I think the Danners are more durable and have more to offer. However, we will see. Thanks for the replies. Fun discussion.

Images

I wore Danner Mtn Lights when I did a section of the Long Trail, back in the 90's when I was working on my 46ers and also backpacking in the NE. They were FGL uppers without the newer mesh inerts. I wore them on a few trip on the AT before gladly trading them in for NB801's which I stayed with for a decade, up to NB812's. They were a great boot. Awesome for steep peaks and ankle support especially when bushwhacking, but for straight forward plodding on a well-defined trail, they were heavy and overkill, although the midsole was much more flexible than typical mountaineering boots.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I did the whole AT in 2021 wearing the Salomon Quest 4 (2 pairs) and X-ultra (3 pairs) gore-tex boots. They were the best thing in the entire world when it was winter and they still were new enough to keep out water. But they were an insane nightmare during multiple days of heavy rain. They soaked all the way through and felt like they weighed 12 lbs each.

I really fought my way down that ENTIRE trail in waterproof boots. And just about 100% of the people around me were wearing trail runners. So I speak from experience… And I know you didn’t ask for opinions on boots vs trail runners. But I’ll add that I would never dream of wearing boots on a hike like that again. I took something that was very difficult already and made it harder still.

You’ll have a handful of days in the winter where you’ll feel like the smartest guy on the trail. But otherwise, no…😁

Not too many types of footwear will make it from GA to ME on an AT thru hike outside the heavy boot market. Even with these boots, it may not be possible to get a full 2,000 miles out of them before they give out. I get about 1,500 to 1,700 miles out of a pair of Asolo boots, and understand Limmers may get a few more miles. I have seen the remnants of foot gear where people have pushed them well beyond their service life having several layers of duct tape being employed, however the physiological damage to feet, ankles, knees, and hips from worn out footwear can create life long issues may never be fully resolved.

There are many different terrain conditions that will impact the life of trail footwear. I have seen people struggle with heavy leather boots in desert heat conditions, conversely, I have seen people in serious trouble wearing trail runners in winter conditions in heavy snow ending up caked in snow and ice that slowly freezes toes off if not dealt with quickly and properly. Clearly if trails were all pine duff and level light dirt footwear would last a lot longer versus constantly shuffling through talus and rocky trail surfaces. Suffice to say, anyone hiking more than 1,000 miles on a long distance hike will likely have to purchase replacement footwear along the way, the lighter the shoe the more frequent the need will be based on average mileage replacement of the different types of footwear: Trail Runners - 300-miles; Trail Shoes - 500-miles; Mid-Highs - 700-miles; High-Tops-1,200-miles; and High-Top leather (includes custom made) 1,500-miles. These are rough estimates based on my own experience and several different sources over time.

So the question really becomes, how many pairs and/or types of footwear will one purchase during a long thru hike.

Clearly if trails were all pine duff and level light dirt

Wait…they AREN’T all pine duff and level?! Guess I’ve got some gear to sell.

With Trail Runners 500 miles is usually a good average target. Northern PA, NH. and ME are probably the toughest on your shoes/boots.

The same with boots, not all trail runners are the same either. Some fall apart fast, while others will last awhile at the expense of a small amount of extra weight (but nothing like boots). Some are constructed to be more durable than others, both the materials used for the sides and top, as well as the sole. As an example of 2 popular shoes, Altra trailrunners tend to wear out fast, while models like Merrel's Moab Vent trail runners last a few hundred miles longer and are less likely to fall apart from other damage and only get retired from the sole wearing flat in places. At least for the sole, the trade off for durability is less traction on slick surfaces. Not so much an issue on the PCT/CDT as the rocks have plenty of friction and shoes like the Moabs have no issues as many hikers have used them there, but it can be a problem on some of the slick rocks on the AT where a sticker sole will get better grip but will wear faster.

++ New Posts ++