WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2 night trip (May 2022) advice needed

Good afternoon,

Long time lurker – hoping to tap into some of the expert opinions on a trip I’m hoping to plan in mid-late May of 2022.

Idea is for a 3 day 2 night trip, starting at Twentymile RS.

First night plan is to hike to 113 and camp, second night to 13 up on the Bald, Day 3 hike back to trailhead.

A few questions for those who know the area:

--Will 113 be overrun with thru-hikers? Am I better off camping at 92 the first night?

--4 of us, my wife and brother are experienced, brother is taking new wife, who is not (but up for the adventure and in good physical shape). Any “beware” things I should know (minus Bears)?

Grateful for any trips. Have only backpacked in GSMNP once, and it was just an overnight near Rabbit Creek. First multi-day here, so just trying to think it out.

Thanks!

bump - anybody?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry... missed your original post.
    You've planned what I call the quintessential GSMNP backpacking loop.
    I'm not sure how many AT thru hikers usually try to camp at #113 since it doesn't have a shelter and it's the 1st campsite after the Fontana Hilton.
    But in any case, March/April is the main thru hiker season. So even if #113 is popular with the thru hikers, the crowd will be thinned out May.
    I assume you know that when you get to the AT, turn right to go see Shuckstack fire tower before doubling back toward #113.
    Unless recent rains have washed out a bridge, all your creek crossings will be bridged.
    When you get to the intersection with Gregory Ridge trail (about a mile shy of Gregory Bald) at a spot known as Rich Gap, take the trail across from Gregory Ridge simply marked as "No Horses". It's a level trail about 1/3 of a mile long that and takes you to Moore Spring. Go ahead and water up at this fantastic water source as the water source at campsite #13 is a slow drip located a little less than 1/4 mile down Gregory Bald trail. When you make a U-Turn to leave Moore Spring, look for the trail to continue on your left. If you don't see it, simply bush-whack strait up hill for about 1/10 of a mile before you cross the trail to Gregory Bald rather than back tracking all the way to Rich Gap.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - and i especially appreciate the heads up on the water source. You rock!

If you haven't, make reservations ASAP, this is a popular trip.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    If you haven't, make reservations ASAP, this is a popular trip.
    Reservations <Link> can only be made 30 days in advance.
    So today (March 18th) you can only make reservations for a trip that starts between today and April 16th.

Thanks for the clarification.

++ New Posts ++