WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: At/bmt/drt

Journal Entries

Default At/bmt/drt

Thinking of hiking the AT/BMT/DRT loop. Anyone out there hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail? Thinking of doing this hike this coming March.
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

Default At/bmt/drt

I've hiked the BMT from Springer to where the Duncan Ridge splits off and heads west after Hwy 60. The BMT section is really good, includes the swinging bridge, some good views. I've also hiked the AT section and the tail end of the DRT where it connects south of Blood Mountain.. I've heard the Duncan Ridge is really tough, no switchbacks, and remote but have not done the center of it yet. I would definitely consider it. If nothing else, the AT and BMT sections are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    Thinking of hiking the AT/BMT/DRT loop. Anyone out there hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail? Thinking of doing this hike this coming March.
    I did the Georgia Loop, which includes the DRT, back in November of 2019. Duncan Ridge, while remote, isn't particularly difficult or scary. Admittedly it's got some elevation gain here and there, but nothing you haven't seen if you've hiked North Georgia trails. I'd suggest grabbing a copy of Sgt. Rock's BMT guide, which includes the DRT, to get the mileages and water sources on that part. In my limited experience the DRT is popular with trail runners. I saw several runners while I was on it and one person scared hell out of me running by my camp around 5am with a very small headlamp on.

There are several YouTube videos to watch; searching "Georgia Loop" will find them there including, ahem, my own video of my trip. It's not a particularly great video but it'll show you some of the terrain so I'll link it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZN7IF_tcI

I agree with Mockernut that the trail is well worth hiking. The BMT and DRT sections are particularly good, IMO.

++ New Posts ++