WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thank you, Traffic Jam.
    This is perfect info, and confirms that the Exped products I'm looking for would be the perfect solution.

So now it narrows down to select between two ways to go, either the super-duper waterproof sleeping bag, or the normal winter bag plus the bivy.
    Guess I'll rather go the Bivy route, as it would be more versatile for my use.

So today I ordered this "perfect winter bag", the normal version Exped Winterlite -15°, plus the Exped bivy bag.
    The exciting thing is, my wife agreed to go out with me on some winter overnighters if I get her the same perfect winter bag.
    So I ordered two bags plus the bivy, and got some discount in addition.
    Looking forward using it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    So today I ordered this "perfect winter bag", the normal version Exped Winterlite -15°, plus the Exped bivy bag.
    The exciting thing is, my wife agreed to go out with me on some winter overnighters if I get her the same perfect winter bag.
    So I ordered two bags plus the bivy, and got some discount in addition.
    Looking forward using it soon!
    Nice! Let us know how it goes in the field. My wife prefers winter hiking and is usually good for about one night in the tent a year

The bags arrived today, and they are perfect. So warm that I had to go outside to the terrace to give it a try if I fit into it.
    Both bags are on the smaller and more slim side, which is bad if I'd want to keep more clothes on during the night, but is better for the insulation because there is hardly any head-space that I'd have to warm up without using it.
    Quality of the bags is just great, very thoughtful details. Loft is like they were inflated like a balloon.

I'm ready for heading out for a 5-days winter hike so the bags had arrived just in time.
    Will keep you updated...

OK, the aforementioned 5 days winter hike got cut down to 4 days due to really cold conditions and stupid me carrying only one Thermarest pad and no CCF, so I got cold from the bottom every night.
    On the upside, the hike (which was part of the E04) was just me along the whole trail, never met any other hiker.

The sleepingbag performed perfectly right. Due to its shorter overall length there was less danger to touch the tentwall with the head ot foot part, so the bag remained more or less dry.

Yesterday the bvivybag arrived, and I did a test overnight sleep on the terrace, out in the open space.
    Double pads, bivy bag and new sleeping bag.
    The temps were a bit below freezing, little wind and bright sky the whole night.
    It is pretty difficult to wiggle into the bivy and the down bag, the bivy being a "top-loader", no side or front zip.
    But once inside it was all warm and cosy, and in the morning while the bivy was frosted over on the outside there was almost no condensation inside, the down bag pretty much dry.
    The famous bivy bag seems to work as advertised!
    (well, it better should as its crazy expensive)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++