WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tarp Question

Default Tarp Question

I use a hammock a lot and have experience with tarps and hammocks. I have an upcoming trip where trees will be minimal. Since the temperatures will be lower than 50F, I'm thinking about just using a tarp and bivy. Little bit of a strange request. Bugs will not be an issue. I've had critters, like raccoons, visit me in my hammock under the tarp. Just walk in and check things out. Any way to prevent/reduce the visits from raccoons or possums while just using a tarp and bivy?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Generally speaking, critters are skittish and usually won't come any closer than a certain distance to humans... likely no closer than "arms reach".
    So you might see them walk under your hammock... because your distance off the ground keeps them ABOUT "arms reach" way.
    So when you move to ground, they likely won't come closer than about "arms reach" horizontally.
    Then there is the issue of "enclosure". When a critter walks under your hammock, your hammock isn't really "enclosed" so they are still some what "out in the open" under a sheltered spot.
    But when you move your tarp to the ground, the space inside is going to feel a lot more enclosed, so again, you're less likely to have a critter come inside the more confined area inside a tarp on the ground compared to one high in the are covering a hammock.

Not to say you won't get any visitors... but for those I know that do tarp camping, it's generally not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Generally speaking, critters are skittish and usually won't come any closer than a certain distance to humans... likely no closer than "arms reach".
    So you might see them walk under your hammock... because your distance off the ground keeps them ABOUT "arms reach" way.
    So when you move to ground, they likely won't come closer than about "arms reach" horizontally.
    Then there is the issue of "enclosure". When a critter walks under your hammock, your hammock isn't really "enclosed" so they are still some what "out in the open" under a sheltered spot.
    But when you move your tarp to the ground, the space inside is going to feel a lot more enclosed, so again, you're less likely to have a critter come inside the more confined area inside a tarp on the ground compared to one high in the are covering a hammock.

Not to say you won't get any visitors... but for those I know that do tarp camping, it's generally not an issue.

Thanks. I actually was using a winter tarp with doors and had it almost on the ground when the racoon visited. I didn't disturb him and ask him his age, but I also think it must have been fairly young/inquisitive. I keep a small piece of plastic on the ground to step on when putting my shoes on. He seemed to like the sound of his paws running back and forth on it because he kept running around on it. I think he finally wore out his curiosity and left. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Generally speaking, critters are skittish and usually won't come any closer than a certain distance to humans... likely no closer than "arms reach"...
    Mice don't seem to follow that "arms reach" rule, or if they do, it the length of the mouse's arm. But unless you are camping in a heavily impacted/used campground, the mouse density is probably low.

If the site is regularly used there will be the usual forest critters looking to score a few crumbs, mice in particular. I've had mice, rabbits, and deer "break into" my tent (invade the door and vestibule). Mice won't hesitate to enter your tarp. I can't remember specifically chipmunks or squirrels or anything larger in the tarp while in it. They will pass through if you aren't and it's open. Hang your food or put it in a vault. I didn't hang my food one night and a mouse got into it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Mice don't seem to follow that "arms reach" rule, or if they do, it the length of the mouse's arm. But unless you are camping in a heavily impacted/used campground, the mouse density is probably low.
    I generally try to avoid shelters where mice are accustomed to the dropped buffet. Most of the areas that I camp have enough snakes to keep the mice population low. That's why I'm only wanting to try this below about 40F. I had a buddy who was sleeping in a tarp and it was only "mild" around 50F. He woke up and saw something by the footbox of his quilt. He shined his headlamp down and found a nice little copperhead coiled up against his footbox. Apparently, it was a little cold and found comfort against his down.

If you have a dog with you, or if you can do a good imitation of an angry dog snarling and barking, it will keep them away for hours.

I sometimes do this (the imitation barking) in the Catskills and it works great with porcupines. I once had someone approach the area where I was camping with great trepidation asking "Holy moly, where the hell is that dog?"

I keep my trekking poles handy to shoo anything persistent or too close. Or a few sticks. Not saying you need to peg them or skewer then but they'll get the message nearly every time. There are a few denizens of well used sites like shelters that may be particularly brazen, a porkie and skunk come to mind, that may require a little sustained effort to convince them to reverse course.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you have a dog with you, or if you can do a good imitation of an angry dog snarling and barking, it will keep them away for hours.

I sometimes do this (the imitation barking) in the Catskills and it works great with porcupines. I once had someone approach the area where I was camping with great trepidation asking "Holy moly, where the hell is that dog?"
    Good to know, wish I had heard of this sooner!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    . I once had someone approach the area where I was camping with great trepidation asking "Holy moly, where the hell is that dog?"
    I sneeze good 'n loud, and get the same response sometimes. I usually 'fess up, but now & then...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mice are a whole different kind of 'animal' for this discussion.

Squirrels will also come right in and chew through anything. I've had them sitting on my chest when I woke up!

Images

Definitely the length of the mouse’s arm!!

I spent 8 years using a Tarptent Notch, and the last 2 with a MLD Solomid XL, as "tarps" that I leave one or both doors open on when the weather's good. Also use a ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp that has no doors.
    I've never had anything except a persistent scorpion that ended up getting squished come under my tarp that I know of until last month, and that was a lot bigger than a raccoon or possum.
    Black bear, hog, whatever, it woke me up breathing heavily into my nose and mouth, the only things not covered by my sleeping bag. Guess that'll teach me to use a bag when I've got 3 quilts...
    Yelling "Get out of here!" at the top of your lungs and blindly thrashing around apparently works wonders for getting rid of unwanted visitors, so I guess I can recommend that, at least until I'm able to give feedback on the quilts with built-in holsters and portable electric fence that I'm shopping for

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I spent 8 years using a Tarptent Notch, and the last 2 with a MLD Solomid XL, as "tarps" that I leave one or both doors open on when the weather's good. Also use a ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp that has no doors.
    I've never had anything except a persistent scorpion that ended up getting squished come under my tarp that I know of until last month, and that was a lot bigger than a raccoon or possum.
    Black bear, hog, whatever, it woke me up breathing heavily into my nose and mouth, the only things not covered by my sleeping bag. Guess that'll teach me to use a bag when I've got 3 quilts...
    Yelling "Get out of here!" at the top of your lungs and blindly thrashing around apparently works wonders for getting rid of unwanted visitors, so I guess I can recommend that, at least until I'm able to give feedback on the quilts with built-in holsters and portable electric fence that I'm shopping for
    I'm sure that was a pleasant breath experience to wake up too! I had a buddy camping a Philmont and a kid in a tent next to his took a candy bar in with him that night. The kid left his tent door unzipped and the bear stuck his head in "sniffing" for the candy bar. It startled the kid, the kid screamed, it scared the bear and it ran. Ran right over the top of my buddy's tent, flattening it in the process!

yeas ago I had laid down out in the open to rest (on the AT, I think it was the Low Gap camp near Big Bald, north of Hot Springs) and had zipped into my bag and unintentionally fallen asleep, lying on my side. I awoke from feeling something climb up on my shoulder and heard this awful high pitched screaming sound echoing in my head. I thrashed around and sat up to look and saw a little chipmunk scurrying away. I realized the sound was coming from me.

the funniest such story I can remember was told by Seth from Trailspace; he has a great tale of putting in much work to convince a girlfriend to go camping with him. they tarp camped and she was awoken by a deer standing over her and licking her face! much screaming ensued, and as i recall the story, that was her last such outing with him

I just take my pet rattlesnake along to keep the mice at bay.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    the funniest such story I can remember was told by Seth from Trailspace; he has a great tale of putting in much work to convince a girlfriend to go camping with him. they tarp camped and she was awoken by a deer standing over her and licking her face! much screaming ensued, and as i recall the story, that was her last such outing with him
    The first time I ever went camping, my camping buddy and I awoke to deer walking by our tent.
    But somehow, but the time my camping buddy got home and started telling his family about our adventure, the deer had turned into unicorns. His ~4yo daughter started begging him to take her camping so she could see the unicorns. Finally about the time she was likely about 7yo, we took her on one of our camping trips. Unfortunately (or was it fortunately) we didn't have any critters walking thru camp that time. So I think he was able to hold off until she was somewhere before 12 to 16 before she learned the truth about the GSMNP Unicorns.

++ New Posts ++