WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pond Mountain Campsite s

Hello Al,

Can some tell me if there is a campsite between Laural Falls and Pond Flats campsite? I'm taking a new backpacker for their first over night trip. We are going from Dennis Cove to Watagua Lake and I would like each day to be a little more balanced mileage wise. There will be 1 hammock and 1 tent.

Thanks for the info,
    Downhill64

Going north from the falls, you could turn right and go a short ways up to the shelter for the night, then climb the mountain the next day.

The Laurel forks shelter is not far from Dennis cove, so that could be too short a day unless you have a late start. Then there is no possible place to camp until you get to the top of Pond flats as you first hike through a gorge and then climb very steeply (nearly 2000 feet in 2 miles!) up to Pond Flats. This may not be the best section for a first overnight hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is the shelter on the Hi Water blue blaze. Then there a number of camping spots on the Hampton Blue Blaze.

Last time I walked up to Pond Flats from the Gorge, I was helping build the relos around 2010-2011.

I would say there are some small spots. But not much as its an almost constant climb and switchbacks.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is the shelter on the Hi Water blue blaze. Then there a number of camping spots on the Hampton Blue Blaze.<br><br>Last time I walked up to Pond Flats from the Gorge, I was helping build the relos around 2010-2011. <br><br>I would say there are some small spots. But not much as its an almost constant climb and switchbacks. I think there is a small gap above the switchbacks that will suit you.<br>
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks everyone, for the advice. I was hoping to tackle only half of Pond Mtn. I guess I'll look for another section of about 8-9 miles.

++ New Posts ++