WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shuttler for Shenandoah Nat'l Park.

I just checked the Shuttle page here, and didn't see a shuttler close to Shenandoah nat'l park.

My plan is to park on the north side and shuttle back to the south side to walk back north.

Does Homer go that far north? I've used him on past hiking trips, but that was more to the south.

I figured I'd check here to see if anyone knows a reliable shuttler that services that area before just calling Homer and asking him...

TIA

Hey Dave!

Gary Serra(spelling) shuttled me from James river to Rockfish gap. I would say he could help you out: 757-681-2254

If he cant you may try Mark "strings" 304-433-0028 - Mark Shuttled me from Halfway through SNP up to HF

I would say with enough notice Homer could accommodate.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Hey Dave!

Gary Serra(spelling) shuttled me from James river to Rockfish gap. I would say he could help you out: 757-681-2254

If he cant you may try Mark "strings" 304-433-0028 - Mark Shuttled me from Halfway through SNP up to HF

I would say with enough notice Homer could accommodate.
    Gary Serra no longer shuttles.

Homer & Mark are still operating.

The shuttle listings is currently in the process of being updated.

Check the posted shuttle listing in a week, or two, from now.

The updates should be posted by the end of the month.

In any case, contact the shuttle operators well in advance of your hike to verify their availability.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

When I hiked that section in 2018 I parked my car at Mountain Home Cabin near Front Royal and the owner, Scott, shuttled me to Rockfish Gap. The 8 miles to Calf Mtn Shelter made for a nice short first day with the late start.
    It's all good in the woods.

If you don't have any luck with a shuttle, check out Megabus. You can go from Front Royal to Staunton in a couple of hours.

From Staunton, there is a bus that'll get you to Waynesboro which is a couple miles from Rockfish Gap, or I'm sure you could use an Uber from Staunton.

I haven't used this option myself but was planning to before I had to cancel my SNP AT fall trip.

I used Nina and she's excellent. She's based out of Front Royal. Her number is in the WB shuttle list.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I used Nina and she's excellent. She's based out of Front Royal. Her number is in the WB shuttle list.
    I looked and didn't see her number.
    I called one number, and either that person moved on or I copied it down wrong ( for some reason the updated list doesn't populate on my cell phone, so I took notes from my laptop to call later, at a decent hour), because it went to some tech company or school.
    So I called Homer and asked him. He said he could do it, but it would be expensive; and he gave me Sharon's number.
    I got in touch with Sharon this afternoon, and have not secured my shuttle. *Oops, I meant to say I HAVE secured my shuttle*
    Last edited by MtDoraDave; 11-06-2021 at 06:30.

Try Stanimal's in Waynesboro Virginia, he has shuttled me from Glasgow to Front Royal. 540-290-4002

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I called one number, and either that person moved on or I copied it down wrong ( for some reason the updated list doesn't populate on my cell phone, so I took notes from my laptop to call later, at a decent hour), because it went to some tech company or school.
    So I called Homer and asked him. He said he could do it, but it would be expensive; and he gave me Sharon's number.
    I got in touch with Sharon this afternoon, and have not secured my shuttle.

...but thanks for trying guys. seriously.
    Dave I also hitched on both of my SNP hikes with no issue.....Very easy hitching area, If you have some extra hours on your trip, I would put some chips on you getting a ride the whole way

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Dave I also hitched on both of my SNP hikes with no issue.....Very easy hitching area, If you have some extra hours on your trip, I would put some chips on you getting a ride the whole way
    I'm curious -- have you hitched on skyline drive itself and been able to get a long distance? It seems to me that most drivers along skyline drive are stopping at overlooks and various places, not going right thru. At least that's always what has stopped me from considering hitching on my trips in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm curious -- have you hitched on skyline drive itself and been able to get a long distance? It seems to me that most drivers along skyline drive are stopping at overlooks and various places, not going right thru. At least that's always what has stopped me from considering hitching on my trips in the park.
    I hitched from Bootens Gap to Swift Run - Guy was moving in his honda civic, I had to hold his printer in my lap while he drove me, but he was going all the way thru the park.

I hitched from Rockfish Gap to Bootens Gap - Lady was wrapping up trail magic and didnt mind to drive us.

I got in touch with Sharon this afternoon, and have not secured my shuttle. *Oops, I meant to say I HAVE secured my shuttle*
    Nina's Shuttle Service Nina Murphy 703-946-9404 [email protected]

We are still working on the shuttle list updates. Posted listing is still valid.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 11-19-2021 at 09:36.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

There's a Trailheads and Shuttles forum, where shuttle drivers may be more likely to see such a post.

You already have a lot of suggestions here, so are probably good and have a shuttle lined up.
    But, if not, please take another look at the shuttle list. I think you're just not seeing the opportunities there. Because, there are at least a couple dozen folks who shuttle in that immediate area. I've used Sharon's Shuttles, and had great success. Lovely retired woman who does the shuttling. But, there are plenty of other options.

Here's a screenshot of one section of the list. Everyone listed there covers Shenandoah (the far right blue part is that section of trail).

shuttle list screenshot.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RiverbirchHiker View Post
    Here's a screenshot of one section of the list. Everyone listed there covers Shenandoah (the far right blue part is that section of trail).
    Where is that screenshot from ?
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Where is that screenshot from ?
    Sure, here's a link:
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/art...1-shuttles.pdf

There's a list of Shuttle Providers on the main page of White Blaze.
    I know many of us go right to the 'Forum' and then typically to the 'General' pages.

However, there are some fantastic resources on the main page (another screenshot attached).
    I'm a section hiker so the Parking and Shuttle info. is what I regularly use. But, there's ReSupply and Hostel/Lodging info., etc... That info. is pulled from the WhiteBlaze Pages AT Guidebook--which is for sale on that same page.

wb main page screenshot.jpg

What about a shuttle for 5 hikers?

Awe man... I just re-read my last post. I HAVE secured my shuttle. I don't know if my phone did the auto fill thing or what, but I didn't mean to write that I have not secured a shuttle.
    For some reason, I didn't even see the two first suggestions. I'd love to blame my phone and the poor internet I had...
    Again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Lol, I was wondering why I kept getting suggestions when I already had a ride.

Looks like the first night will be cold, but the rest of the week will be great weather.
    Last edited by MtDoraDave; 11-06-2021 at 06:33.

Awe man... I just re-read my last post. I HAVE secured my shuttle. I don't know if my phone did the auto fill thing or what, but I didn't mean to write that I have not secured a shuttle.
    For some reason, I didn't even see the two first suggestions. I'd love to blame my phone and the poor internet I had...
    Again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Lol, I was wondering why I kept getting suggestions when I already had a ride.

Looks like the first night will be cold, but the rest of the week will be great weather.

Please let us know how everything goes with your hike!
    Trip reports are always fun to read, especially when we learn the details before you head off on the trail. Wishing you a fun hike! I've done about 3/4 of Shenandoah in smaller chunks (short section hikes).

Should I do a trip report here, or a new thread... Perhaps in the Shenandoah section?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++