WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Great report -- but I think you'll remember the night hiking more fondly as time goes on. I'm thinking of doing Waynesboro to Bear's Den in Jan/Feb, so your intel on SNP is appreciated. (I hiked it a thousand years ago, but as a Nat Park, I doubt much has changed except maybe for more ursine neighbors...)

My night hiking experiences are about 50/50.
    The first was fine, the next time I encountered a group of hogs in the Smokies.
    Last year, in the light rain and heavy fog, I struggled to see the trail in rocky areas, slipped into a stream, broke my trekking pole, etc.
    The other morning it was a little stressful, but turned out fine.

The freshly fallen leaves of November are a temporary issue. By Jan/ Feb they will be ground into the trail, but I suppose there's snow and ice to be concerned with.

Great report @MtDoraDave! I did Shenandoah last year around the same time. It's a great hike. I think I know exactly where you're talking about with that rocky section (Big Meadows to Skyland?), as I found myself on it last year coincidentally on my longest day and remember letting a few choice words fly. That stretch looks great in the guidebook, too bad they don't show terrain. I've seen so many similarities along the AT from GA to VA. Those rocks on the terribly rocky stretches have that lime green moss on them, you pass through several drainages full of moss covered boulders, and the stretches are very dry. About to hit WV myself. Best of luck to you as you continue.
    It is what it is.

Images

Those are some big miles for the short daylight hours of November! Thanks for the trip report.

As far as the rocky sections, if you're continuing north, get used to it.

Nice. I did a similar section (Compton Gap SOBO to Big Meadows) a few years ago.

If you recall the torrential thunderstorms that flooded WV a few years ago in mid June, I hiked through those when they got to SNP. Fortunately I was able to get to a shelter and a picnic pavilion for the worst of them. I fired up my stove and gave free coffee to the thru hikers hunkered down with me.

I can't do those kind of miles (I did about 40 miles in 2.5 days). I didn't stay at shelters. I was able to find camping spots off the trail.

S1.JPG

IMG_7439.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Hey Dave!

Gary Serra(spelling) shuttled me from James river to Rockfish gap. I would say he could help you out: 757-681-2254

If he cant you may try Mark "strings" 304-433-0028 - Mark Shuttled me from Halfway through SNP up to HF

I would say with enough notice Homer could accommodate.
    Gary Serra no longer shuttles.

Homer & Mark are still operating.

The shuttle listings is currently in the process of being updated.

Check the posted shuttle listing in a week, or two, from now.

The updates should be posted by the end of the month.

In any case, contact the shuttle operators well in advance of your hike to verify their availability.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Great trip report! I love SNP. Did a Day hike on November 9 in the North District (Knob Mountain and Jeremy's Run) that only included something like 1 mile of the AT. The late fall this year made the foliage great and it must have been close to 70 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I looked and didn't see her number.
    I called one number, and either that person moved on or I copied it down wrong ( for some reason the updated list doesn't populate on my cell phone, so I took notes from my laptop to call later, at a decent hour), because it went to some tech company or school.
    So I called Homer and asked him. He said he could do it, but it would be expensive; and he gave me Sharon's number.
    I got in touch with Sharon this afternoon, and have not secured my shuttle. *Oops, I meant to say I HAVE secured my shuttle*
    Nina's Shuttle Service Nina Murphy 703-946-9404 [email protected]

We are still working on the shuttle list updates. Posted listing is still valid.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 11-19-2021 at 09:36.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++