WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hogpen Gap To Rocky Mountain Unicoi Gap Day Shuttle

Greeting Fellow Trailblazers,

Thank you so much for this outstanding forum and website. It is a true benefit to all hikers.

Around mid February I am spending a couple of days in Helen, Georgia. My family and my sister's family are meeting there for a get together. While there I would like to get away and do a day hike from Hogpen Gap to Rocky Mountain Unicoi Gap. It looks like a 13.5 mile hike one way. I was wondering if someone would please advise me as to whether or not this is too far to hike in one day and whether it is practical or not to hire an Uber or Lyft. I am a runner and do a little bit of trail running so believe that I should be able to make 13.5 miles in one day as long as the trail does not have snow on it. About the Uber or Lyft? I do not trust anyone in my family to drive me safely.

Thanks for the help. May you enjoy a peaceful trail hike.

Well. . . as always, it depends on your level of fitness, and in this case, the weather at that altitude. In Feb., you might have ice and snow. Are you going to be prepared to spend the night out there if you can't make the 13.5 miles? You certainly have to be prepared for any unexpected delay.
    As for the Uber or Lyft - I'd just try some of the regular shuttle drivers in the area. They are likely to be more familiar with the roads, and could probably give you some information about trail conditions at that time.

That is a pretty easy stretch, much of it is along on old logging road, wide and flat. My wife and I did Tesnatee Gap to Unicoi in 7 hours last January. Bret from AT Hiker Shuttles shuttled us.

Ron Brown is top notch shuttle driver for GA
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. As of now I think that I will just do out and back hikes.

Take care....

++ New Posts ++