WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking Maine in April

Next spring I plan to finish the NOBO thru-hike that I started spring 2020. (Injury forced me off trail in PA.) I'd like to start March 1 at Delaware Water Gap, but I'm guessing that is two months too soon. Has anyone hiked the White Mtns. and Maine in April? If so, were conditions too snowy and cold? I don't mind a little bit of winter weather, but if it's too relentless - or dangerous - I'll push my start date to May 1. Thanks.

April can still be serious winter in the Whites and Maine. Peak black fly season runs roughly from Mother's Day to Father's Day, skewed a bit later the farther north you get. Unless you are prepared to deal with one of those conditions, I would plan to miss both.

Push your date out. There is a group of hikers that hike all the 4000 footers in NH in every month of the year, the universal observation is April is the worst month of the year to hike. There was a an interesting set of videos a few years back where a gung ho early thru hiker got stuck on the same stretch of trail twice and then gave up an skipped it then ended up having to bail on the next days hike. Some sections of trail will be miles of rotten snow, even with snowshoes, snowshoes will not stay on top of the snow. It can cut mileage to less than a mile per hour. The trail is marked for non snow season use, if there is snow on the trail it may not be obvious. I have had to turn around in Aprll as we spent a couple of hours trying to find the actual trail route. You will get wet and its going to be hard to dry out. Many trail services and providers may not be open.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 10-30-2021 at 10:55.

Yea, a really, really, really bad idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We were up there with a group in April several years ago, camping just off the ocean and had a day of rain that turned into wet snow (and there was no existing snow at that time in that part of the state). So no doubt it would be far worse as you get away from the (usually not snowy) coastline into the higher mountains.

Yes, I figured the weather might be an issue. Just wanted to definitively rule out April hiking up there. I'll push my hike out. Thanks, all.

Remember that Maine is also known as "No pointless nubbin left unclimbed", they route you over every high point they can find. Makes for a slippery mess early season.

Simply put april in the Whites and Maine is the reason I got to VA to hike each april.

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    Simply put April in the Whites and Maine is the reason I go to VA to hike each April.
    Me too.

The fact my Dad's B-day is in mid April is another reason. I go down to FL to visit, then hit the trail on the way back home for 4-6 weeks. By the time I get back to NH, slush/mud season is pretty much over. Too bad I had to forgo my yearly hike the last 2 years due to you know what. Maybe next April. He'll be 99 if he makes it, starting to look a little iffy for him

That is a good month to stay on the sidewalks here. Coastal woods are soft mud and mountains are a good place to break a hip.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

FWIW - Approaching the Whites through VT can be an issue during Mud Season, when trail advisories and/or closures through April and May (typically lifted around Memorial Day weekend depending on conditions). If you can plan to be in VT around that Memorial Day period, that should allow more thawing in NH and ME and a higher likelihood of completion.

Images

I love the Whites and Maine in April. Plenty of snow! But it's not for backpacking per se - it's for x-country skiing, snowshoeing and peak bagging. Last time I did an early April climb in the Whites was on Mt. Washington. Plenty cold, gobs of snow, and lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I love the Whites and Maine in April. Plenty of snow! But it's not for backpacking per se - it's for x-country skiing, snowshoeing and peak bagging. Last time I did an early April climb in the Whites was on Mt. Washington. Plenty cold, gobs of snow, and lots of fun.
    Once it turns into mud in the lower elevations and slush higher up, it's no longer fun. That's starting to happen the end of March these days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en;[URL="tel:2290817"
    2290817[/URL]]Once it turns into mud in the lower elevations and slush higher up, it's no longer fun. That's starting to happen the end of March these days.
    Interesting. Last time I was in the Whites was 1986, so I’m a bit behind what climate change has wreaked.

Yes things have changed since I moved up here in 87. Snow accumulation starts later, fall leaf season has shifted later by a couple of weeks and the spring melt starts sooner. Winter storms can be wetter since the Gulf of Maine has warmed up.

++ New Posts ++