WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I suspect altitude was the culprit.The FAA requires pilots of non pressurized aircraft above 12,500 feet of cabin altitude for more then 30 minutes to use supplemental oxygen.
    Nah man it was the gummies!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One thing not mentioned yet is that altitude might well have been a factor.

I didn't see that the hiker's hometown was mentioned, but someone coming from sea level and hiking up to 14,433' will experience all manner of impairments, mental and physiological.
    Another thing not mentioned here is, maybe said hiker didn't want to be found maybe this was there way of "getting away ".
    If only for one night finally a night alone out by myself whew I wish that damn phone would stop ringing its a real killjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Another thing not mentioned here is, maybe said hiker didn't want to be found maybe this was there way of "getting away ".
    If only for one night finally a night alone out by myself whew I wish that damn phone would stop ringing its a real killjoy......
    If that's the case, easy enough to put on airplane mode or turn it off. I use airplane mode a lot because I like to keep it on for the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If that's the case, easy enough to put on airplane mode or turn it off. I use airplane mode a lot because I like to keep it on for the camera.
    Maybe they did and when they got close turned it back on. That would be annoying as you know what, that thing ringing all night
    Just playing devils advocate .

Heard a idea from non other that David Paulides, to change your voicemail message to say where you are and anticipated time of return, that sort of info. So I suppose that would work if you didn't tell anyone where you were going. It would let the extended warranty guys know a good time to get in touch.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    Heard a idea from non other that David Paulides, to change your voicemail message to say where you are and anticipated time of return, that sort of info. So I suppose that would work if you didn't tell anyone where you were going. It would let the extended warranty guys know a good time to get in touch.
    If you had good enough cell service to change your voicemail then you'd have good enough cell service to call 911. In fact 911 calls will often go thru when other calls will not. Also its easier to send a text message then changing your voicemail. Experts have refuted this voicemail message idea. Changing voicemail while lost is a bad idea, rescuers say | Miami Herald

But I like your joke about the extended warranty guys! : )
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    If you had good enough cell service to change your voicemail then you'd have good enough cell service to call 911. In fact 911 calls will often go thru when other calls will not. Also its easier to send a text message then changing your voicemail. Experts have refuted this voicemail message idea. Changing voicemail while lost is a bad idea, rescuers say | Miami Herald

But I like your joke about the extended warranty guys! : )
    Ditto... I'd definitely text if it came down to that... texts will go thru when nothing else will.

BUT, I use the InReach mini, only to ping my wife morning and evening to preserve domestic tranquility. I hope to never have to use the orange button!!

I would assume that this would be done prior to leaving the parking lot or home, not actually on the trail. Would there ever be a scenario where someone was saved because of it? I don't know. I wonder what the statistics are for missing people being found that had cell phones versus not having cell phones. Like say in the 80's versus the 2000's. Do the same amount of people get found alive/dead because of having/not having a phone? Obviously, there are more people in the wilderness now than 25-30 years ago so the odds are more people on average go missing, but technology has improved like InReach, GPS's, FLIR so finding people has improved too. Just curious.
    But I like your joke about the extended warranty guys! : )[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by slowdive; 11-02-2021 at 08:51. Reason: spelling
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++