WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A different kind of AT book (by me)

Hikers--

I just published a book about section-hiking the AT, as much a "nature" book as an AT book. Here's the back cover description, if you're interested:

Unique among Appalachian Trail books, Breakfast with Salamanders: Seasons on the Appalachian Trail records an eleven-year adventure hiking the entire Trail by sections, in trips ranging from overnights to weeks at a time. Organized by seasons, it looks back to the great tradition in American nature writing running from Thoreau’s Walden through Leopold’s Sand County Almanac and Abbey’s Desert Solitaire. Deeply (and quietly) informed by a Zen Buddhist sensibility and, in later chapters, interspersed with original poems in haiku form, it also evokes Bashō’s Narrow Road to the Deep North. A book to read in quiet hours or, tucked into a backpack, on the trail.

If you'd like to know more, check out the book's Amazon page, where it's available in paperback ($12.95) and on Kindle ($3.99).
    Thanks for reading--Alan / Cascader (screen name) / "Call Me Al" (trail name).

coveramazon.jpg

bought the kindle version.
    Will "review" after I get to it. I am working on a history of Texas (it's huge) and just bought another backpacking book to "support the community" of hiker/writers.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thank you! I just purchased the Kindle version. Back in my younger days as a hiker, I often wondered what I was seeing. Eventually I took a naturalist course just to learn, and it changed my life. I'm looking forward to reading your book. As I've become more interested in what I'm seeing on the trail, my hikes have become shorter in distance but longer in time, as I stop and look at things.

I've read the Preface and the Epilogue - sounds so good, I can't wait to wrap up some other books borrowed from the library so I can delve into this. I especially enjoyed your paragraph describing how you enjoyed the nature around your own home as you recovered from knee surgery.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterHiker View Post
    I've read the Preface and the Epilogue - sounds so good, I can't wait to wrap up some other books borrowed from the library so I can delve into this. I especially enjoyed your paragraph describing how you enjoyed the nature around your own home as you recovered from knee surgery.
    Thank you! I really appreciate your interest in the book.

My right knee fully recovered, eventually, by the way. Now it's my left knee . . .

Cascader

Just finished this book! It was a very good read. Very well written and I was impressed with the listing of the various birds, flowers, and other animals (my favorite being the eft) and trees, etc. I'm glad I read it and I'm glad you completed your hike! 11 Years is dedication.

I think this was the 120th book (or so) that I have read since Christmas and I'm glad I read it because I am a little burnt out on reading. Think I need a break. Good job. I would encourage others to read it as well!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++