WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default How's that Fall Foliage??

Looking to jump the fence again & wanting to hit a Crayola Box of colors!! How are the colors coming along where your guys are from??
    I'm in northern Kentucky & it's just now dropping into the 40's at night so it's a nice, slow steady Fall with trees just now starting to show a slight change.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Just seemed to be getting started in the Central district of Shenandoah National Park between 3000-4000 feet during a Monday day hike. I'm day hiking Old Rag this coming weekend and expect the colors to be more pronounced. It has been a warm October in Virginia but it was chilly on Monday and I think the colors will be peaking in SNP maybe in a week or so.

In SW Connecticut, colors are more vivid than in the past several years. No frost yet, and the weather has been mostly sunny and breezy. It's a pleasure to be outside.
    Last edited by tiptoe; 10-21-2021 at 13:01.

SW Connecticut must be different then where I'm from and I've been hiking in the state cause all I've been thinking is how dull the colors are compared to the last few years... It seems the leaves are changing and falling before any real colors. A few nice looking trees here and there but pretty much yellow and dull. Usually the leaves are still colorful when they hit the ground but now it's pretty much all brown and maybe a little yellow. It still looks nice cause it is fall but in comparison to the last few years for me it's pretty lackluster out there.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

We have the most lovely shades of green here on the island. I'm am jealous this time of year of the folks further up north.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

NW CT has the "brown and down" syndrome this year. Late start to the color caused a lot of trees to quickly turn dirty yellow and fall off the trees. Some color but without any cold weather to make the change robust, it's pretty drab overall. There is just no predicting Autum colors and change patterns.

We had a pretty good season here in the Whites, but it's pretty much history now. Much better then last year, which was a blow out. This pic was from about a month ago, Sept 29.

Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This is from yesterday, down the street from me. Still a few trees with leaves on them, but it's mostly stick season now. Just had some snow on the Presidentials

Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Here in DC area it is as late as I can ever remember. Almost nothing has turned.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Here in DC area it is as late as I can ever remember. Almost nothing has turned.
    That's for sure.

Here's a photo from my day hike near Skyland in SNP on Monday. It was pretty much green with some yellows coming in from 3000-4000 feet. I'm hoping for more color when I go back this weekend.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.39.10 AM.jpg

Awesome photo!
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Same here in central Indiana

We go to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore area for a weekend fall color getaway every year. We drove up this afternoon. Colors are delayed this year due to a record warm October. We've not had any really cold weather and no frosts. Also, the color is always delayed along the Lakeshore due to moderating effect of the lake. It's going to be cloudy this weekend so I don't expect views to be the best. We did see some nice color inland on the drive up. Attached is a pic from a nice sunny previous trip.

FB_IMG_1627273867301.jpg

NW North Carolina.
    We drove from Roaring Gap to the Shatly Springs Restaurant to
    West Jefferson and back home.
    Stunning colors along the whole route. Reds & Yellows are intense and dominate.
    The Shatly Springs Restaurant is amazing. They close tomorrow and will be back next year.
    Wayne

Shatley Springs Restaurant https://shatleysprings.com/

Wayne

What a difference a week makes! Great color above ~2500 feet. I suspect the entire mountainside will be in brilliant colors by next weekend (and I intend to find out!). This is from a day hike to Old Rag today (Shenandoah National Park, VA) with several hundred, or maybe even a thousand, of my closest friends.

351E5A60-233C-44A7-A645-5F99220B4C27.jpeg03674531-D28F-40F1-98A1-09BF02D658F6.jpegA55D77F0-2F27-4744-983B-08FF28CEC77B.jpegD079A89B-C715-4554-9F71-E4018F03AA99.jpegE077EEEC-7489-47A9-8560-E9D89330D085.jpeg

++ New Posts ++